Windows services: dependencies between services that run on different servers?
Problem: I have an application which runs different components on different servers. One server is hosting the "server component" of the application as well as the ODBC connections, another server is hosting the "dispatcher component" of the application. These components are configured to run as Windows Service and should be started in a correct order. 1. ODBC service (server #1) 2. Server service (server #1) 3. Dispatcher service (server#2) To prevent that a service is started which requires other services to be started first, I wanted to make use of the "Dependencies" property. For services running on the same server, this can be configured easily. For example: I have configured the Server service with the ODBC service as a dependency. So when the Server service is being started while the ODBC service isn't running, it will automatically start the ODBC service before starting the Server service. However I can't find a solution to configure depencies for services running on a different service. Question: Is it possible to configure service dependencies between services running on different servers? The goal is to create the "Dispatcher service" (running on server #2) with the "Server service" (running on server #1) as a depency. Thanks for your support!
October 12th, 2010 6:00am

Hi Philippe Millan, I consider that you can try to write a script to achieve this. As we do not support custom script development in this forum, you can write your own custom script or visit the following script forum for information: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/ITCG/threads Hope this helps!Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 14th, 2010 4:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics