Windows service management pack template creating duplicate monitors

When using the Windows service management pack template to monitor a service it creates duplicate monitors under health explorer of the Windows Server that is targeted. Under Entity Health > Availability > Windows Local Application Health Rollup - <computername> I have 2 monitors called Availability - VMTools (Object). One of which has a green check box and following item underneath it: "Service Running state - VMTools (Windows Service) with a green check as well. The other object however is just a green circle, no check box and no items beneath it. Similar issues occur under the Configuration, Performance and Security health rollup monitors. I am running SCOM 2012 R2 with UR6. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

John

July 27th, 2015 6:13pm

Hi, it's by design, because of existing "Service Running State" monitor already targets the same class "Windows Service" and it has override (enabled=false), you see it as green circle as it's not activated.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2015 11:27am

Thanks for the reply Alexis. So the "Service Running State" creates to object monitors as shown in the picture attached? I was planning on monitoring all automatic services per Brian Wren's write up and have got it working but it would add several dozen empty monitors on each server which makes for a very un-elegant solution. Any way to modify the management pack via XML to remove the selected item in red? I fail to understand why it's even there. It doesn't have any Service Running state monitors beneath it. Can something be done with the override?

I did experiment a bit with actually deleting the "Service Running State - VMToolz(VMToolz)" monitor and creating an override to have the "Service Running State - VMToolz(Windows Service)" enabled. But that would mean I would have to do something similar with every service being monitored.

Maybe in the end all I need is the discovery but I would also like to have the option to monitor CPU and memory usage. Would editing the XML work? Not sure.

July 28th, 2015 1:35pm

Hi, it's by design, because of existing "Service Running State" monitor already targets the same class "Windows Service" and it has override (enabled=false), you see it as green circle as it's not activated.
July 28th, 2015 3:26pm

Still no answer, the proposed answer might account for the "Service Running State - VMToolz(Windows Service)" but how would it account for the "Availability - VMToolz(Object)"? It seems like it would have something to do with the class created, VMToolz.
August 7th, 2015 7:06pm

This additional monitor resides in the Operations Manager APM Windows Services MP. If you are not using APM you could delete this mp - that would remove the additional monitors. Note: I don't know if deleting this mp will cause any harm to your system.

August 10th, 2015 3:44am

Personally I would never use the windows service template.

Ideally create appropriate classes for the underlying application and then target unit monitors at the appropriate class.

Cheers

Graham

August 10th, 2015 5:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics