Windows server 8 beta server manager
When i start server manager, its say "An error occured while trying to load the plug-in for 481. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. And when i start adding roles, for example ".net framework, DNS, DHCP" it say: The installation of one more features failed on (computer name)
May 29th, 2012 11:46am

Hi,

Please run system file checker (sfc /scannow) first to check the result. For the detailed information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issue persists, please also try to perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the installation.

Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2012 5:05am

Not sure what triggered this error for Tomi, but I know EXACTLY how to bring this message on in my case.  It is as simple as renaming the machine - either using the Server Manager -> Local Server option OR through a series of NETDOM commands.  Either one will make server manager post the error after the reboot from renaming. I am guessing this is already known, but it causes the Storage role to now show up in the server manager window.  

The only issue found and repaired by the SFC for me was:

Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:28{14}]"\??\C:\sources"\[l:30{15}]"RdsUpgCheck.dll" from store

And the problem persisted after that, even after reboot.  Performed an in-place upgrade and same results the error is displayed.  Event log is not registering anything either for this.

Any additional suggestions?

May 31st, 2012 12:48pm

I can confirm this problem still exists in the build 8400 Server 2012 release preview.  Did a clean install on a new system.  After logging in, simply changed machine name from WIN-WHATEVER that it generated to SERVER.  Restarted as prompted and the Storage role no longer loads with the 481 plug-in error being generated. 
June 1st, 2012 3:27am

I'm having the same problems using the new 8400 build. Also after the server rename and also not seeing the storage role.
Can't find any logs just yet regarding this.

June 1st, 2012 7:00am

I was able to resolve this by renaming the server a second time (SERVER2).
June 1st, 2012 8:31am

Oddly enough this "resolved" the issue for me as well.  Guess they will just have to document that renaming servers needs to be done twice in order for it to stick :)  Thanks for the post!

EDIT:  After playing with this more, I do not think it is the second rename that made it work.  Oddly I think it is the presence of the number that makes it work.  I built a new machine from scratch and instead of naming it "server" as I had been for testing named it "win-00".  This did not have the error pop up after reboot as ALL previous installs had.  Not going to play any further as there are LOTS of other areas I want to explore and this one is working with that caveat.

June 1st, 2012 10:54am

Hmm .. I just renamed it back to SERVER and I'm getting the same errors as before.

It would seem the hostname "server" pisses something off.

June 1st, 2012 11:29am

Hi,

The issue for "File and Storage services" node not available when machine named as SERVER is already being tracked for Windows Server 2012. For now, rename machine as "Server1" or "Server2" (as mentioned above in the post).

Thx

Manish

June 2nd, 2012 3:40am

Hi,

as soon as i join the Server to a Domain the error occur

when i put it back to a Workgroup the error disapears

a solution would be nice :)

June 12th, 2012 1:37pm

I know this topic is very outdated but curious if there has been any updates?

I have a server that isn't named "server" which has been joined to the domain and I also get this error.

April 27th, 2015 12:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics