Windows server 2008 stuck on Welcome screen
This is a repost of this thread here as this has never been answered.... I haveaserver. Roughly once a week, at different times,will not let me login. Basically the symptoms are thatI can connect RDC and logon, its just stuck on the 'Welcome' screen. the same happens when i try to logon locally too The only way to "fix" the problem is to power off the server. Checking the event logs hasn't been helpful as there aren't any nasty errors in there. I am running Windows Server 2008ENTERPRISE x64 Edition SP1. DL380 G5.HP Server are fully patched. This is a dedicated SCCM 2007 server with nothing else but SEP11 client (AV only) running on it.
November 13th, 2009 10:57am

Thanks for bringing this forward. I am seeing the same issue on multiple HP BL460c Blades running Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition x64. Logon to the server and it will hang in our case for about 10 -20min. It will eventually let me in. I can go to a UNC path \\SERVERNAME\C$ and ping, but any remote administration is blocked (eventlog, wmic, manage computer etc...). Many of these are Hyper-V hosts and the VMs on these systems do not like it one bit when this problem happens. After I do wait and it logs on, I can then logoff and log back on without issue. Only after the first logon. I have a case with MS on this, but it has been slow so far. Rob McShinsky http://www.virtuallyaware.comRob http://www.virtuallyaware.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 14th, 2009 10:44pm

hiI thingthis is related to HP DL 380 G5 drivers issueI also foundthis. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952664The quick fix was to reboot the HOST.Thanks.. Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
November 15th, 2009 3:34am

Hello,for Hyper-V related questions better use this forums:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/threadshttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/threadsFrom VMWare i know that there is a problem with the default used network adapter for the 2008 VMs, maybe there is something similar with Hyper-V.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 15th, 2009 9:25am

Hello, for Hyper-V related questions better use this forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/threads http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/threads From VMWare i know that there is a problem with the default used network adapter for the 2008 VMs, maybe there is something similar with Hyper-V. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is not specific to Hyper-V hosts and VM's and by the looks of it, it is not hardware related either as I have heard of this on Dell's and various models of HP's. In the previous post this issue I believe Win 2008 is the cause but not specific to one version neither as I have also been told of this happening on data center, enterprise and standard editions. I really think Microsoft should step in and do a bit more to help diagnose and come up with a solution to this annoying problem. I'm just glad we don't have our DC's and Exchange servers running 2008 OS... Can anyone tell me if they have seen this occur on SP2? I have just upgraded the OS to SP2 and the box that's giving me grief and am hoping I this will resolve it but aren't holding my breath. I'll let you know if I see the problem occur again. link to previous post:- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winservergen/thread/b96296d5-1686-4c8a-a0c8-5890df2959c4
November 17th, 2009 1:04pm

Hi Paul,Thank you for bringing this issue , i see that many users have reported the same issue with the appropriate hardware ( DL 380 ) , i would check if i have the server at my place and try configuring the windows 2008 64bit enterprise server and try performing RDP to check if i get hang near applying computer settings Also can you please check if the issue happens in safe mode ?
November 18th, 2009 6:13am

Hi Paul, Thank you for bringing this issue , i see that many users have reported the same issue with the appropriate hardware ( DL 380 ) , i would check if i have the server at my place and try configuring the windows 2008 64bit enterprise server and try performing RDP to check if i get hang near applying computer settings Also can you please check if the issue happens in safe mode ? Unfortunately this problem is extremely difficult to diagnose as it only occurs every once in awhile at random times. Once I hard reboot the server the problem goes away... I also don't have any spare hardware here to test this on at the moment, maybe someone else has see it occur in safe mode or can possibly test? I also have a DL360 G5 this is happening on.
November 18th, 2009 6:41am

This problem hasn't manifested since installing SP2.
December 21st, 2009 10:41am

I'm experiencing this issue on an HP DL580G5. About once a week, as described by PaulTown, the server simply deadlocks and must be hard restarted. TS connections reach the machine, but hang at "Welcome." The recommended hotfix states "the update does not apply to your system," and I'm already running 2k8x64sp2. syslogs and applogs simply stop at one point, and resume after the restart. stumped....
December 29th, 2009 9:02am

i know this is an old thread, and i know i am not going to get an answer from this, but wanted to clarify for anyone else searching: we are having the same issue (hanging on welcome screen), but here are our observations on dell hardware, not hp running virtually in vmware, not physical boxes server 2008 x86 already @ service pack 2 fwiw, the vNIC's are intel e1000's i am going to start a case with ms, if i get anywhere i will post back to help someone else down the road.
March 22nd, 2010 10:05pm

I am having the same problem on 2 dell servers running terminal services. One is 64bit and the other is 32 bit and both are windows 2008 standard. It happens randomly and requires a reboot to fix. Tried opening a case with Microsoft but they were no help.
April 4th, 2010 7:21pm

In have the same problem, and it seems this one has been going a long time. Running windows server 2008 and after logging in it freezes on the Welcome screen. The server is still running services and doign its job, i just cant log into it. A found one person that could log on, but others couldnt. There must be a fix somewhere, or is this a profile issue?
April 29th, 2010 10:28pm

Having the same issues with server 2008 standard 32-bit already @ SP2, All software and hardware are up to date. Still getting Stuck Welcome screen at logon happening 2-3 times a week. No one can login. HP DL380 G5 Server running Terminal Services. Has anyone found any resolution,, anywhere?
May 5th, 2010 5:54pm

Hi All, My recommendation is to work with microsoft so that they will analyze and perform live debugging when required. As they have source code for all the modules of windows , it would be easy task for them to identify the root cause of the problem.
May 5th, 2010 9:50pm

Hi All, My recommendation is to work with microsoft so that they will analyze and perform live debugging when required. As they have source code for all the modules of windows , it would be easy task for them to identify the root cause of the problem. Unless you know of a free way to get Microsoft support for their bugs please let us know. In the mean time, we have to wait and hope someone else can fix it and post it. Thanks for the advice just won't work for us. Please let me know if you find a real solution to the problem.
May 12th, 2010 8:43am

I have updated one of my HP DL380G5 servers running 2008 terminal server with the latest support pack from HP Dated March 8, 2010 and Have not had any lock ups yet at the welcome screen it has only been two weeks but I have had no welcome screen lockups. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=ca&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=4022&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-6902939655e0474da53a4270b9
May 21st, 2010 2:03pm

I am also experiencing this problem in my Citrix farm. We have 5 2008 SP2 (64 bit) servers currently in the farm, and it happens on all of them. Two of them are running on Xenserver, so it happens in both virtual and hardware environments. I also have two 32 bit 2008 SP2 servers, but have not experienced the problem there. The symptoms are the same, nobody can log in, and if you try to rdp to it, or log into the console, you get stuck at the welcome screen. Powering off from the power switch is the only thing that fixes it. You can't do a remote reboot, or even stop services. I have seen this problem in other environments as well. All of our servers are Dell Poweredge 2950's, R710s, and R510s. Happens on them all.
May 28th, 2010 10:41am

I see that no replies have been added to this thread in quite sometime. Any updates from anybody? I, too, am seeing this problem on my Server 2008 R2 Standard Remote Desktop Services machine running on an HP Proliant DL360 G5. Applying the most recent HP support pack did not resolve the issue. It probably happens every 7-10 days. I will soon be opening a support case with MS. I will post any information of interest that I may come across.
July 19th, 2010 2:42pm

Hi! We are experiencing the same issue. We have IBM x3650 servers, some of them reboots during the hanging welcome screen, if I try to log in remotelly or locally. We had this problems at february during bulk-patch installation. Then we deployed those patches remotelly to these servers and the problem disappeared. The error reappeared now after UPS initiated restart.Szilard
July 26th, 2010 6:53am

I am experiencing the same problem – 20 to 40 min wait on welcome screen after reboot. I experience the problem on 2 Dell servers running WIN2K8 DC SP2.
July 27th, 2010 1:26pm

We are experiencing the same issue. Server 2008 64bit Enterprise Edition SP2 Not VM's Unfortunately it looks like this problem is pretty long standing, and no one who's gotten MS Support involved has posted their resolutions. I am honestly not looking forward to getting MS Support involved, it's such a long and painful process, not to mention it get's expensive.
July 28th, 2010 3:02pm

hi, i'm running proliant 330 g6 server running esxi 4.1 and i've got two servers running as virtual machines. one server 2008 standard and the other sbs2008. the sbs2008 is hanging with remote desktop. the sbs2008 has all updates installed including sp2. i've tried to look everywhere and couldn't find a solution to this problem, tried disabling services and antivirus and all that, not sure what to do next. surprisingly this is the most detailed forum i could find for this issue and there's still no solution. has anyone figured it out yet? should i install the HP support pack for server 2008? does it make sense to run the update pack if it's a virtual machine? thanks in advance, aaron.
December 13th, 2010 9:57pm

I have this issue now too, on a Dell PE 2950. Real pain as it's my backup server and I can't get in to do anything. Boots fine in Safe Mode, but just hangs on "logon" when you enter any credentials. Anyone have a fix for this??
January 12th, 2011 1:37pm

Having this issue on a pair of 2008 SP2 x86 Terminal servers running on esx 4.0 on a HP DL180 G6. Very annoying as half the office loses their workstation until the server is powered off and restarted through the vSphere client. I found a more specific post on this issue as it relates to terminal servers here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/6ed2b675-a027-4f31-9c8c-2621d6ecbbcb though there is no resolution there either.
February 9th, 2011 4:54pm

For Hyper-V systems and Windows in general the hang at welcome many times has to do with orphaned VSS snapshot devices. You can look here for more information. http://virtuallyaware.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/hotfix-kb982210-windows-server-2008-r1r2-hang-at-logon-bug-deep-dive/ Rob (http://www.VirtuallyAware.com)http://www.VirtuallyAware.com
February 22nd, 2011 2:18pm

Maybe you can try to update hotfix KB976674 and KB980568 which fixed my IBM x3650 windows 2008 x64 Terminal Server hang issue same as you
March 3rd, 2011 4:28am

By the way, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972596 also can be refered to fix someone similar issue, you can refer to KB976674 and KB980568 then consider if you need patch this or not.
March 3rd, 2011 4:34am

Maybe you can try to update hotfix KB976674 and KB980568 which fixed my IBM x3650 windows 2008 x64 Terminal Server hang issue same as you KB976674 was the silver bullet for me as well (mine are running on esx 4.0 on HP hardware.) Took a support call to MS, but it has been over a week with no crashes for us (we were up to about 3/week before applying this hotfix.) In addition to this hotfix, MS found several system files that were out of date on my servers (volsnap.sys, srv.sys, and ntfs.sys.) The KBs for these hotfixes were 2471430, 980135, and 2279787. It's probably a good idea to have an image or snapshot of your server before applying any hotfixes.
March 23rd, 2011 1:32pm

This problem hasn't manifested since installing SP2. Someone needs to unmark this as an answer. Its interesting this hasn't been answered yet. The two servers that are having the issue for me are the same two that used to hang at logoff with the "Please wait for the System Event Notification Service" which had a lot of people talking but also went unanswered. My issue with it hanging at the welcome screen started the day after we did the latest patches (August 2012 patches). In addition, I see event 7011 indicating a timeout, most commonly the nlasvc and the cryptsvc. The only other recent change I can think of is I had an incorrect secondary DNS ip address on one of them that I corrected. I have one other Server 2008 x86 SP2 server that doesn't have this issue. Server 2008 x86 SP2 Dell hardware (2950 and a R410) SEP 11.0.7 on both These are domain controllers (one pri one sec). I will update if I'm able to get it resolved, but ANY help would be appreciated. Nobody has posted in over a year, so hopefully someone figured it out...
September 1st, 2012 4:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics