Windows server 2008 hangs frequently after updates in Configuring updates 3-3 0%
We have had three Windows server 2008 that have hanged at this moment. Two of them never recovered and had to be reinstalled!? Now a third one did the same this morning our external webserver and i find it absolutely incredible that this is not beeing fixed from Microsoft. We cannot relay on the OS and we are very very tired of this problem. What are we goint to do the next update? It has been at differnet times regarding different updates I cannot find a common thing about the incidents other then OS. Please do you have any idea of how to prevent this from happening again?Another question what about 2008 R2 is it a more stable OS? Iwill not by another windows server 2008 so we have to think of a replacement OS?Desperate sysadm
March 16th, 2010 5:47am

Hello,what exactly happens to the machine? Please post error messages and describe problems with details, so we can try to verify and reproduce them. Your given information at this time only blame Microsoft and don't has any qualified content.Did you make sure that all latest drivers are installed on the servers according to the hardware vendors website? Did you check the event viewer for errors and search for the realted information/solution?This sounds for me that there are driver/hardware related problems in your machines. I have never had problems with Windows server 2008 and didn't hear bad information from other colleagues, there machines run stable without any problem. Also Windows server 2008 R2 is stable if installed correct.Check the following article also:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-usDon't rate the OS in this moment, Windows Vista and Windows 7 share the same code as Windows server 2008 and Windows server 2008 R2, so if the exact same problem exist contact Microsoft support to verify that this can be choosen. I know from more then one people that this way has worked also with other hotfixes marked only for Windows Vista and Windows 7. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2010 6:05am

Exactly this happens: we have windows update configured to download windows updates but we choose when to install. After installing the update or updates and we restart the server because restart is required the server hangs at this moment Configuring updates 3-3 0%. There is absolutely nothing written in the event viewer. It has all been Dell servers and we have contacted them to see if there were known problems but they sad no.The two servers that had to be reinstalled we tried the article you suggested but it did not work. We could eventuelly log in to them locally but most services were not working. We had to reinstall them in the end. We have googled a lot on this subject and we are not alone with this problem that is why I am a little irritated that I have seen nothing about it from Microsoft?Of course I suspected the hardware and their drivers but I could not find any problems with them either. I will look into that again though.This morning I could restart the server the hard way using the power button and get it up and going but I am afraid of the next time...Sorry if I was beeing a little impolite but it is really stressfull. We have mostly Windows server 2003 R2 and they just go on and on and on .....Still desperate
March 16th, 2010 9:58am

OK when I look in the system log of the eventviewer there are a lot of messages from "servicing" about the update. The server is a windows server 2008 x64.It starts with "Windows Servicing started a process of changing package KB973917(Update) state from Absent(Absent) to Installed(Installed) and then"Windows Servicing identified that package KB973917(Update) is not applicable for this system". Is that the problem that although windows update downloded and installed the update it is not really applicable? After follows hundreds of messages likeWindows Servicing started a process of changing package KB973917(Update) state from Absent(Absent) to Installed(Installed)thenWindows Servicing started a process of changing package KB973917(Update) state from Installed(Installed) to Absent(Absent)repeated many times and thenWindows Servicing identified that package KB973917(Update) is not applicable for this systemWindows Servicing started a process of changing package KB973917(Update) state from Installed(Installed) to Absent(Absent)several timesand then once: The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start.Windows Servicing is setting package KB973917(Update) state to Resolving(Resolving) a couple of timesWindows Servicing completed the process of changing update 973917-25_neutral_LDR from package KB973917 (Update) into Resolving(Resolving) state and thenWindows Servicing is setting package KB973917(Update) state to Resolved(Resolved)Windows Servicing is setting package KB973917(Update) state to Staging(Staging) many times Windows Servicing is setting package KB973917(Update) state to Install Requested(Install Requested)Windows Servicing is setting package KB973917(Update) state to Uninstall Requested(Uninstall Requested)over and over and thenWindows Servicing started a process of changing package KB973917(Update) state from Install Requested(Install Requested) to Installed(Installed) Windows Servicing started a process of changing package KB973917(Update) state from Uninstall Requested(Uninstall Requested) to Absent(Absent)and thenwith a warning Servicing has required reboot to complete the operation of setting package KB973917(Update) into Install Requested(Install Requested) stateWindows Servicing required reboot to complete the process of changing update 973917-158_neutral_PACKAGE from package KB973917(Update) into Installed(Installed) state Servicing has required reboot to complete the operation of setting package KB973917(Update) into Install Requested(Install Requested) stateBut the last messages is the following: Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB97391When I look in the event viewer for other updates I see the same thing for other updates that I did not experience any trouble with. I just wonder how do I interpret them?/Anna
March 17th, 2010 11:01am

Any respones on this? I am having nearly the same issue....nearly everytime my Server 2008 downloads and installs updates and I reboot the server, it hangs forever at "Applying Computer or User Settings" It's not all updates, but it seems like it's random updates....there's no relvent log entries or anthing I can look at to give me a clue as to the issue....I have the latest drivers, etc. I just installed the latest update and re-started and it's been hung at Applying Computer Settings for 45 minutes now. I will look at the windowsupdate log and see if that sheds any light....any info would be appreciated. UPDATE: After about 2 hours, I powered off the server and re-started in Safe/Mode Command Prompt and the updates promptly installed--re-started normally aftwards and everything worked fine. For future reference, this is the procedure I was going to follow if what I tryed didn't work: 1) Boot from the 2008 install disc 2) Choose your language, time etc and select the "Repair your computer" option. 3) Start a command prompt and delete/move the following file. C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml 4) Restart the PC, you'll get the same 'configuring updates' screen but after a while it will carry onto the desktop!!! We have about 50 Windows 2008 Servers hooked into the same WSUS Server and my servers seem to be the only ones having these issues...nothing in the logs still. Go figure!
May 4th, 2010 8:26am

Does not anyone has anything to say about this? Just if I know how to interpret the logs from servicing in the event viewer that would be a great help. And for the record, the problems still continues.
June 16th, 2010 5:37am

Hello, did you install the suggested patch for that error message on the problem machine? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us For the reading of the update logfiles i suggest to post to the update forum instead: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverwsus/threads Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 16th, 2010 8:34am

Does not anyone has anything to say about this? Just if I know how to interpret the logs from servicing in the event viewer that would be a great help. And for the record, the problems still continues. Hello May be you switch off IPv6 in properties of nic? if yes, try to on.
October 22nd, 2010 2:43pm

Also facing the same issue for the last few months with no fix. Windows server will hang indefinitly on restart after installing updates. screen says "configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete". The only way to get past this is to shutdown computer and restart in safe mode. The update configuration then completes successfully.
January 31st, 2011 8:51pm

I've been facing this issue for months now and decided I need to find a solution. Has anyone had any success finding one? I also have all Dell servers. Deleting the C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml file does the trick, but doing this after every update seems ridiculous. Any input would be much appreciated.
June 28th, 2011 3:30pm

Same here. I have two systems with the same problem. Both are HP ML150 G6 systems (Brand New) with the latest BIOS. I do notice that the system is writing to the hard drives, but it still just sits at the "Preparing to Configure Windows" with the periodic dots going by. This is the first time I updated the system from Windows and the total downloads were at 61MB. Looked at Microsoft's KB, but it does not work for me.
July 1st, 2011 2:53am

Last night Id the same (I think) problem - after updates installed automatically at 3:00 pm, exchange services would not start or stop. Anyone have a solution? I really think its time for me to switch my clients over to Linux servers.
August 10th, 2011 6:50pm

I just had the same problem here, and fixed it following the registry fix in this Technet article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2004121 (In brief in case the article disappears: you can modify the behavior of HTTP.SYS to depend on another service being started first. To do this, perform the following steps: Open Registry EditorNavigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP and create the following Multi-string value: DependOnServiceDouble click the new DependOnService entryType CRYPTSVC in the Value Data field and click OK.Reboot the server NOTE: Please ensure that you make a backup of the registry / affected keys before making any changes to your system. )
June 18th, 2012 2:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics