Windows server 2008 Named pipe connectivity issues
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh the pain of it all :( !!I have5 virtual machines running inside VMware. 1 Windows server 2003 32 std R2 - AD and MSExchange2Windows server 200332 std sp2 - SQL Server 20053 Windows server 200332 std sp2 - MOSS WFE4 Windows server 200332 std sp2 - MOSS SPSSearch Central AdminThe four above are configured as all in sharepoint farm. They have been for around 2 years now.Server number 5 is Windows 2008 x64 ServerStandard EditionWhat I am trying to do is migrate some Sharepointservices to Windows 2008 x64, namely web front end.I have installed w2k8 x64 as a new Virtual machineI have connectred that machine to the domain and installed all the features and roles required as per MS white paper on migrating 32bit to 64bit web front endsIISApplication Server.Net 3.0.Net 3.5 Sp1 + hotfixesI then go to install sharepoint, no problem after slipstreaming SP1.I then try connect Sharepoint installation to existing farm.I can see the Database in the setup wizard (via NetBIOS)I can add my username and password for the SQL server to the setup wizard and the progress to the next step.When I hit next the first stage completed then the second stage (Connecting Sharepoint configuration database) bombs out. Error Log Name: ApplicationSource: Windows SharePoint Services 3Date: 19/03/2009 23:27:27Event ID: 5586Task Category: DatabaseLevel: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.comDescription:Unknown SQL Exception 67 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)Event Xml:<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Windows SharePoint Services 3" /> <EventID Qualifiers="0">5586</EventID> <Level>2</Level> <Task>484</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-19T23:27:27.000Z" /> <EventRecordID>1894</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.com</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>67</Data> <Data>A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)</Data> </EventData></Event> AndLog Name: ApplicationSource: SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration WizardDate: 20/03/2009 09:39:50Event ID: 104Task Category: NoneLevel: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.comDescription:Failed to connect to the configuration database.An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion, SqlSession session, SPDatabaseSequence sequence) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPContentDatabase.ValidateDatabaseSchemaCompatibility() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Request() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(Guid webId, String strListName) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(String strListName) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.Undirty() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPBaseCollection.System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.get_AdministrativeTasks() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.EnsureSystemTask(String title, String description, Int32 priority, String actionTitle, String actionUrl, String service, String systemId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.Provision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebServiceInstance.Provision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Join() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()Event Xml:<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard" /> <EventID Qualifiers="0">104</EventID> <Level>2</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-20T09:39:50.000Z" /> <EventRecordID>2769</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.com</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>Failed to connect to the configuration database.An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion, SqlSession session, SPDatabaseSequence sequence) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPContentDatabase.ValidateDatabaseSchemaCompatibility() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Request() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(Guid webId, String strListName) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(String strListName) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.Undirty() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPBaseCollection.System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.get_AdministrativeTasks() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.EnsureSystemTask(String title, String description, Int32 priority, String actionTitle, String actionUrl, String service, String systemId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.Provision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebServiceInstance.Provision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Join() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()</Data> </EventData></Event>Things I have tried from the w2k8 box:Ping the sqlserver : successfulCreate and test an ODBC Named Pipe Connection to the SQL Server : Test SuccessfulTurn off the firewall on all serversRe-connect server to DomainRe-Install features and rolesRe-Install SharepointWhat Idont understand is the fact that SQL is already configured to accept Named Pipe connection as demostarted by the existing farm and ODBC connection created.One thing that bothers me is when I re-intalled sharepoint I got some different error that seem to indicate that theMachine object was trying to connect to the sharepoint DB as DomainName\MachineName, is this normal?I thoughtit try and use the name I entered in the sharepoint setup wizard (the same used on the rest of the farm).Ilooked at the SQL tocheck for other domainname\machinename logins and these was only 1 the search server.Afterdays of tryting and retrying I'm exhausted of ideas.The conclusion I can come tois that there is some core networking issue with the 2K8 box or some GPO or firewall is blocking Named pipeHand shake.If anyone has other things to check on any of my servers please let me know as I am trying to push w2k8 as the next platform for our sharepoint environment, thus far a non starter.
March 30th, 2009 11:07am

hi there,your question is related to SPS and there is another forum which addresses the issues related to SPS , we have expert engineers answering SPS related queries.please do post under http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forumsplease do navigate to Share point server forum and post the samesainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2009 2:32pm

I'm not being funny but you are the second person to punt my query to another forum. If you read theerror:An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)it clearly says that the problem is with a named pipe connection. At the very least it is an SQL problem, but if you check out the rest of my post you'll realise that that it is not an SQL issue because other servers are using the same SQL back end quite happily. So, I would have insist that the issue lies with some aspect of windows server 2008. As this is the only OS in my domain that is having difficulties.I will post this on the SharePoint forum just for S&Gs but I would grateful to all post police if they would RTFP before dismissing or passing to other forums.
March 30th, 2009 5:08pm

hi there,what is the value set under the below reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSARestrictAnonymousplease do confirm if your administrator has configured any group policies for disabling null sessions eg : Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Local Security Policy.Note If you cannot perform this step because Administrative Tools does not appear in the Program list, click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Local Security Policy.Note In Windows XP, the RestrictAnonymous subkey can have a value of 0 or 1. A value of 1 restricts null session connections on Windows XP-based clients. For regulation of the enumeration of SAM accounts, the following new registry subkey has been added: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\restrictanonymoussam The policy is configurable via Local Security Settings under Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts. In Security Settings, double-click Local Policies, and then click Security Options. Double-click Additional restrictions for anonymous connections, and then under Local policy setting:, click No access without explicit anonymous permissions. sainath Windows Driver Development
March 31st, 2009 7:29am

Hi Sainath,Thanks for looking at this...The value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSARestrictAnonymousthe registry is 0 The option belowdoes not seem to exist inside the local security policies on w2k8 Double-click Additional restrictions for anonymous connections, and then under Local policy setting:, click No access without explicit anonymous permissions. Am I missing something? Regards
March 31st, 2009 2:48pm

hi there,i will do my best to troubleshoot the issuefirst i would like to eliminate the possibilities i would appreciate if you could provide the communication diagram between servers ( eg: server -->sql-->sharepoint ) etc.also have some pointsPlease check if firewall ports are not blocking the communicationEnabled Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols.1. Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Computer Manager2. In the left hand pane, expand "SQL Server Configuration Manager (Local) > SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration"3. In the left hand pane, highlight "Protocols for SQLEXPRESS"4. In the right hand pane, right click "Named Pipes" and select "Enable"5. In the right hand pane, right click "TCP/IP" and select "Properties"6. On the "IP Addresses" tab ensure that "Enabled" is set to "Yes" for each network adapter listed.7. Click "OK" to close the TCP/IP Properties dialog.8. In the left hand pane select "SQL Server 2005 Services"9. Right click "SQL Server (SQL EXPRESS)" and select "Restart"Add SQL Server 2005 Express as an exception to the windows firewallYou will need to add SQL Server 2005 Express as an exception to any firewall software that is running locally. The following sequence assumes the Windows XP Firewall:1. Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Windows Firewall2. On the Exceptions tab, click "Add Program..."3. Browse to "sqlserver.exe" and click "OK". This is normally located in the folder "Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn"4. Repeat for "sqlbrowser.exe" if you have set the "SQL Server Browser" service to run. This is normally located in the folder "Program Files\Microsoft\SQL Server\90\Shared"5. Click "OK" to close the Windows Firewall dialogEnsure that the SQL Server 2005 Express server process is running.Check this by:1. Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Administrative Tools > Services2. Scroll down and check that "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)" has the status of "Started". Start it if it is not already started.* If you can connect from the same computer as that running SQL Server Express but not from another computer then the error may be that SQL Server is not allowing remote connections.To enable remote connections:1. Connect locally (using sqlcmd)2. Run the following sequence of commands:sp_configure 'remote admin connections',1goreconfigurego================================================================================also i would like to test the following net view \\servernamenet use \\servername\IPC$and as far as i know there is a makepipe and readpipe command-line utilites. makepipe================================================================================have youtroubleshooting ODBC connection ? , if not please test using odbcping sainath Windows Driver Development
March 31st, 2009 5:24pm

(SqlServer |2005 Ent---|>SharePoint w2k3 R2 || -----------|>Sharepoint w2k3 R2AD W2K3 R2---|>Sharepoint W2k8Please check if firewall ports are not blocking the communicationCommunication is a sandboxed VM test environment, there no firewalls on the sql server or the w2k8 server.Add SQL Server 2005 Express as an exception to the windows firewallNo firewalls.Ensure that the SQL Server 2005 Express server process is running.The process is running because the other servers are running a fully functional sharepoint farm which requires connection the SQL 2005 Enterprise server.Created and tested an ODBC Named Pipe Connection to the SQL Server : Test Successful (this includes odbcping)Please check the following from the SharePoint team. There is also a list of other things we have tried togetherhttp://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/93a0f1ca-c6ce-41d9-9463-adb56a1461a9They seem to think that SQL is not the issue.Could you tell me the expected value of the registry key below? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\restrictanonymoussam The policy is configurable via Local Security Settings under Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts. Thanks again
March 31st, 2009 6:00pm

The answer is that the earlier versions of SharePoint installerare not compatible withSQL Server 2005 when run from a windows 2008 server.Update Sharepoint to 12.0.0.6341 and there should not be any issues.This solution may also work for earlier versions of SharePoint, I jumped from 6219 to 6431 and I have got time to incrementally test.Thanks to Sainath for all the help.
April 1st, 2009 12:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics