Windows server 2008 64 bit Task Manager Incorrect Display
Hi,I have installed windows server 64 bit edition on a machine with 4 GB RAM. If I view system properties from ControlPanel->System it showsSystem------------------------------------CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.25 GHzMemory(RAM): 4.00 GBSystem Type: 64-bit operating SystemHowever if see in Task Manager -> Performance TabIt showsPhysical Memory (MB)Total 3318Cached 805Free 1771Why does the Task Manager show only 3318 MB as Total Physical Memory where I have 4 GB RAM. I am definitely using 64 bit OS which is supposed to support 4 GB RAM
March 31st, 2008 2:45pm

What hardware are you running on? There's no graphics adapter with shared memory or something like that nibbling on your RAM?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2008 6:37pm

I had a ATI 2400 512MB Graphics Card with Hypermemory which shares with system memory. I thought that was the problem. But I uninstalled ATI driver, no change.Physicallyremoved the card no change. Now I have re formatted and re installed windows 2008, still no change.
March 31st, 2008 11:27pm

Hi, For the reason that RAM size differently displays in My Computer and Task Manager, the information they query is coming from different resource. System Information gets its value by summing the size of each dim. The available OS physical memory is reported from BIOS. Based on my research, some portion of the system memory may be reserved for memory-mapped input/output (I/O) devices, such as hot swap PCI slots and array controllers, and these reserved memory will not display for system. I suspect that is why memory amount displaying in Task Manager is less than the actual amount. The amount of reserved physical memory may increase to 512 MB or more depending on the number of I/O devices that are installed on the computer. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: 279151 256 MB of Physical Memory Appears to Be Missing When 4 GB of Memory Is http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279151 More Information ----------------- There are three levels of support provided by the PCI Hot Plug Reservations; Disable, Normal, and Enabled Extensive. Each level reserves a different amount of memory for every unused PCI Hot Plug slot for hot adding of new PCI devices. In Disabled Mode, no memory will be reserved. PCI devices will not be able to be hot added. In Normal Mode, 40MB of memory will be reserved for every unused slot. I hope this helps. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2008 1:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics