Windows server 2003: folder not visible
Hello I am a beginer and using windows 2003. All of sudden, a folder that is mapped to a user "xyz" is not visible in the server but it is visible and i can login to that folder using "xyz" through a client mechine and all files in that folder are visible in the client mechine. In the server, I have tried to create a folder of the same name at the same location. It is not allowing me to create folder of thame name prompting me such a folder already exists. Please help me to make the the folder visible in the server mechine itself. Thanks Jeevan
August 2nd, 2010 8:04am

You may have some file system corruption. You can run chkdsk in read-only mode to test. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2010 10:21am

Hi emaster , Thanks for posting here. There are two possible reasons could cause this situation: hidden folder and hidden shares. For hidden folder, please check if this folder existed with perform command line “dir /A HD” in the directory of contain this folder on server. To check hidden shares ,please perform “net share” on server to list all shared folder. Dir http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755121(WS.10).aspx How to create and delete hidden or administrative shares on client computers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314984 Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 2nd, 2010 11:30pm

Dear Tiger Li, Thanks a lot for your reply. Start / Run / \\servername\foldername shows the folder. It is not a hidden folder as > Administrative Tools> Computer Management > Shared Folders > shares view does not show $ sign. But still the folder is not visible in the server. But I could create a short cut from Start / Run / \\servername\foldername and place it in the mother folder which helps me to open the folder which is not visible. Though the work is done through shortcut, I would like to know why the folder is not still visible when it is not a hidden shaed folder? Regards Jeevan
August 3rd, 2010 3:36am

Hi emaster, You mentioned that "In the server, I have tried to create a folder of the same name at the same location. It is not allowing me to create folder of thame name prompting me such a folder already exists." So I think this clearly indicate that folder should exited on this directory of server .But visible in Windows Explorer. And please enable trigger for option "show hidden files, folders and drivers" in folder option of windows explorer. Meanwhile ,please perform Error checking on this partition with "chkdsk /r" Thanks. Tiger Li So,could you post the result of "dir /A HD" ? I just want check if this folder is hidden or not.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 3rd, 2010 10:07pm

Dear Tiger Li, NGSF is the computer name and Boron is the folder name. When I run NGSF/boron , it is visible. But when I use explorer, boron is not visible. I have "show hidden files, folders and drivers" enabled. The folder is not hidden at all Thanks for giving me time. Jeevan
August 4th, 2010 2:08am

Hi Jeevan, Thanks for update. Here are some workarounds for you reference : 1. please boot the system into Safe Mode and then check whether the same problem exists. 2. Run the following command and post the result here: <Drive Letter:> (Please replace <Drive Letter> by the real drive letter that the problematic folder exists, such as D:) Net share Dir /s boron 3. Have you installed any third party software which may hide folders? such as Folder Shield, Invisible Folders, etc. For test ,please check if this issue still occur with temporary disable or uninstall it . 4. Perform a fully virus scan . Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 4th, 2010 5:50am

Jeevan , I have this same problem , did you find a solution. thanks , Bobby
December 6th, 2010 5:37am

Anyone Get Answer to this? I have SBS2008 Server with shared folders, only visible over the Network. Cannot see them on the local Server.
January 17th, 2012 7:36am

I've also have this problem with a folder in windows server 2008 standard. i just created a directory with explorer and shared it. it's used to robocopy data from a second sbs server. i don't know exactly when the folder disappeared... in a dos-box the folder does not appear with the dir command, but i can cd into it. also when i type in the name of the entire path (unc or drive letters) the folder shows up in the explorer. the filestructure seems to be ok, but i'm a bit worried that the underlying sata-raid5-array is somehow corrupted... isaac
February 3rd, 2012 3:17am

maybe this solution works it's a server 2008 solution though: Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\NoAliasingOnFileSystem to 0. see the discussion: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/cb218350-01cc-4c8c-8b02-0db0ab0b59df and the source: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=196934 allthough not on this topic something similar is discussed for Server 2003 with: JSI Tip 9355 @ http://www.windowsitpro.com/ HTH Isaac
February 3rd, 2012 4:21am

I had the same problem on the file server (Windows 2003). You can see the hidden folder if you enabble "Show hidden files and folders" and don't hide operating system files in Windows Explorer option. Open DOS window command prompt: run: dir /A <your drive> will display all folders including the hiddens. attrib <folder name> will show the folder attributes. Modify it by: attrib -h -r -s <folder name> This execution is very quick and did no harm to the file permissions on my server. You can verify it by running: attrib <folder name> to ensure no remaining attributes. It worked on my server.
February 27th, 2012 10:51pm

hi... i solved this problem with 2008 R2 Sp1 server by using following command. 1) Open CMD 2) Go to Drive Letter where your folder is. 3) type " attrib -h -r -s /D /S < Folder Name > " 4) Bang... and it's done!!! Thanks... Gaurang Patel
June 12th, 2012 3:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics