Windows could not start because of error : Load needed DLLs for kernel
I'm getting this error when I try to boot into a Windows Server 2003 Standard version, I've added the ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll from the boot disk \i386 folder. Initially there was a malware on the system and a folder with ____ letters and numbers for a folder name (how it got there I do not know, will be investigating it after I get teh server back up and running). Anyway I had gotten an error stating" missing or corrupt file \windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. So after finally being able to get into the server (RAID driver issue) I ran a chkdsk /R and it found some files that needed repairing and did so. I ran this command again to make sure all is good and there were no more files that needed fixing. Found out that boot.ini was missing, copy a new one from another server running same OS. Did a reboot and started getting error msg about the ntoskrnl.exe missing, so I went back into Recovery Mode and ran the expand command to expand the files ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll Now I'm getting the following error msg: Windows could not start because of error : Load needed DLLs for kernel my issue, is there a way to get the productid from recovery mode or is there a way to fix this without doing a complete install over the top? Thanks
August 30th, 2010 5:40am

Hi, If you have malware or virus in your system, the recommendation is reinstallation. By the way, you may consider performing an In-Place Upgrade to repair the startup issue. How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816579 Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2010 11:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics