Windows XP hangs on loading personal settings since Migration to Windows 2008
Hey, At a client there's been a migration to Windows 2008 R2. Ever since Windows XP clients fail to logon. They keep hanging on loading personal settings. Here are some details which might be interesting: - The problem doesn't occur on Windows 7 pc's - The problem doesn't occur every time. Sometimes users can logon, sometimes they keep hanging on loading personal settings - They can login when the networkcable is disconnected - They can also log in every time when they do a log off instead of a reboot - All user profiles are local profiles, no roaming or terminals server profiles involved. - All users are local administrator - The problem persist with new users and/or new profiles - The problem also occurs when I place the computer and an new clean test user in an OU that block's group policy's - There are only 2 Group policy's, anyway with limited settings - The client has 3 servers with one configured as Domain Controller and dns and wins. There is very litle information on the migration path. I've troubleshooted as far as I could, looked at it at different ways but the problem stays. I've setup userenv.log and this only show the logon process halts at some point without any error what so ever. Any help is appreciated or even idea's to troubleshoot the problem any further are welcome. Kind regards, Joris Vliegen
June 17th, 2011 8:39am

Are you certain the problematic PCs point ONLY to your internal DNS servers and do not have a router or ISP added as an alternate DNS server in their NIC configuration?Rob Williams
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 17th, 2011 2:38pm

Hello, let's start with an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS server and a problem client. - The problem doesn't occur on Windows 7 pc's THERE IS ALSO NO KNOWN PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS XP - The problem doesn't occur every time. Sometimes users can logon, sometimes they keep hanging on loading personal settings SOUNDS LIKE DNS SETTINGS AND ALSO "FAST LOGON OPTIMIZATION" TO BE ENABLED - They can login when the networkcable is disconnected THEN YOU LOGON WITH CACHED CREDENTIALS NOT TO THE DOMAIN - They can also log in every time when they do a log off instead of a reboot SOUNDS MORE AND MORE FOR "FAST LOGON OPTIMIZATION" TO BE ENABLED - All users are local administrator REALLY BAD SOLUTION. IN A DOMAIN ALL USERS SHOULD BE DOMAIN USER ONLY - The client has 3 servers with one configured as Domain Controller and dns and wins. THE IPCONFIG OUTPUT WILL HELP US Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 19th, 2011 6:09am

Hi , In-line to Meinolf suggestions, i would also test the behavior in safe mode with networking ( if the issue doesnt get resolved after removing the fast logon optimization feature) . Below is the policy you might check for Fast logon optimization. Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon
June 19th, 2011 10:05pm

Hi, Just a quick reply to let you all know I will try your suggestions on wednesday. I didn't check the dns settings and I'm currious about the "Fast logon optimization". Already a big thank you for the idea's because mine where completely run out. Kind regards, Joris Vliegen
June 20th, 2011 10:19am

Hi, The DNS-settings are correct I've added them to the bottom. When the "Fast logon optimisation" is set to disabled the computer hangs at "Loading computer settings" before we can even press CTRL+ALT+DEL. So it does make at change but it makes things even worse. But also with "fast logon optimisation" disabled when I remove then lan cable the computer loads normally. C:\Documents and Settings\Dane>ipconfig /all Windows IP-configuratie Host-naam . . . . . . . . . . . .: vossel-g-xp18 Primair DNS-achtervoegsel. . . . .: vossel-g.be Knooppunttype . . . . . . . . . . : hybride IP-routering ingeschakeld. . . . .: nee WINS-proxy ingeschakeld . . . . . : nee DNS-achtervoegselzoeklijst. . . . : vossel-g.be vossel-g.be Ethernet-adapter LAN-verbinding: Verbindingsspec. DNS-achtervoegsel: vossel-g.be Beschrijving . . . . . . . . . . .: Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC Fysiek adres. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-30-05-E1-58-0D DHCP ingeshakeld. . . . . . . . . : ja Autom. configuratie ingeschakeld. : ja IP-adres. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.130.16.21 Subnetmasker. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Standaardgateway. . . . . . . . . : 10.130.16.1 DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.130.16.3 DNS-servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.130.16.3 Primaire WINS-server. . . . . . . : 10.130.16.3 Lease verkregen . . . . . . . . . : dinsdag 21 juni 2011 12:55:07 Lease verlopen . . . . . . . . . : woensdag 29 juni 2011 12:55:07 Kind regards, Joris Vliegen
June 22nd, 2011 3:26am

When the cable is removed it doesn't try to authenticate to the server but rather uses cached credentials. Therefore it sounds as if it is having difficulty connecting to the server. Is 10.130.16.3 the server IP? If it is I would try logging on to the PC and running netdiag and see if it points out any connection issues. It is available as part of the XP support tools: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=18546Rob Williams
July 4th, 2011 10:35am

did you ever get an answer on this...we currently have 5 out of 20 xp boxes doing the same thing.
June 4th, 2012 9:19am

Hey Dave, No, I never got this one resolved. Kind regards, Joris Vliegen
June 4th, 2012 2:19pm

@ davehicks Most often if you have slow logons it is because DNS on the affected PC's points to something other than the internal DNS server/s. Adding a router or ISP, even as an alternate DNS server to the PC's TCP/IP configuration can cause substantial delays at logon.Rob Williams
June 4th, 2012 4:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics