Windows XP Pro workstations keep disconnecting from Windows 2008 Server
To whom it may concern, Our office has about 25 computers with Windows XP Professional (SP3) that are being used as workstations. They are logging onto a domain on a Windows 2008 Server. All network card drivers and service packs for both server and workstations have been updated. Recently, the workstations have been going "offline" at sporadic intervals--sometimes several times within the span of a minute, other times going fine for several hours before being disconnected. Whenever they go "offline", the workstations lose access to the file server, all mapped network drives, and all Network printers, until a synchronization has been implemented. My co-workers and I are re-synchronizing several times every hour, which is annoying to say the least. Is there any possible way to keep the connection always open so that the workstations aren't constantly being disconnected? Is this a problem with Offline files and CSC, or is this a bigger problem (Server-workstation problem?) of which the going "offline" issue is but a symptom? I've searched the web and the closest thing I came across was a post on this forum (http://forums.techguy.org/networking/551546-windows-xp-offline-files-thinks-2.html); however, the thread was already closed and the suggestions offered there (such as using the command "net config server /autodisconnect:-1" on the server) didn't do anything to resolve our problem. The second closest thing I found was in a very old thread at Tek Tips (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=438573) that suggested the problem might reside in the Server Message Block (SMB) signing between the server and workstations; however, that workaround (which was actually meant for Microsoft Windows Server 2000 and Windows XP SP1) didn't help any either. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide on this problem. Sincerely, L.F. Lee
April 10th, 2009 12:56pm

hi tehre,there are 2 issues to get addressed, first is why are the workstations goingo offline ? and second is workstations loosing access to file server.To address the first issue i would like to get a) when is this problem occuring ,is this occuring after any updates ?b) would like to know what do you mean by offline ? ( does client logs off , or restart ? ) we would try to fix this issue at first priority is my opinion.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 10th, 2009 1:39pm

Hello Sainath,Thank you for the reply. a) The problem has been occurring on and off for awhile now (4+ weeks); didn't seem to be related to any recent Windows 2008 Server updates, as far as I can tell.b) By "offline"...hmm, unsure how else to describe it other then what I've already said. The workstations are logging onto a Windows 2008 Server (Active Directory) and all their files are stored on that same server. When they get disconnected, a tiny computer icon appears in the System Tray telling them that they're now using "Offline files" and the users have to double-click on that icon to regain access to the server. They also can't print until they've done that. So no, users aren't getting completely logged off or forced to restart their machines--they're simply losing access to all network resources, mapped network drives, printers, etc.L.F. Lee
April 10th, 2009 2:26pm

hi there,windows clients ( vista , xp ) uses SMB protocol to establish the communication to the server share, which uses workstation service to connect to the remote shares, which will proceed with successful dialects negotiation . the problem is very sporadic which is very interesting to troubleshoot, before whcih i would like to collect all the possible data, which will help in providing you the acurate answer. a) how have you configured your shared drives , are these shared files are on SAN / NAS or are they on widnows 2008 harddisk ?b) for a test purpose try disabling smb 2.0 Steps: a. Run "regedit" on Windows Server 2008 based computer. b. Expand and locate the sub tree as follow. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters c. Add a new REG_DWORD key with the name of "Smb2" (without quotation mark) Value name: Smb2 Value type: REG_DWORD d. Set the value to 0 to disable SMB 2.0 2. Please disable Raw SMB on the Windows Server 2008 a. Run "regedit" on Windows Server 2008 based computer. b. Expand and locate the sub tree as follow HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters c. From the Edit menu choose Add Value. d. Add the following: Value Name: EnableRaw Value Type: REG_DWORD Data: 0 3. Please change the registry key value of LMcompatibilitylevel to 2 on the Windows Server 2008 HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA Lmcompatibilitylevel [REG_DWORD] = 2 to only NTLM Response4. Please configure the Local Policy on Windows Server 2008 a. Open Local Group Policy Editor with gpedit.msc b. Expand and local to the following node Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security options c. Adjust the corresponding security settings as followed. Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (if server agrees) to "enabled" Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) to "disabled" Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if server agrees) to "enabled" Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) to "disabled" Please note: after making the modification of these registry keys and policies settings, you may need to reboot the server to make it take into effectc) is this issue happens only on a particluar shared drive / folder or on any drive / folder ?d) does this issue happens when clients connecting to a share hosted on widnows 2003 ?e) are these clients across subnets or on same subnet ?f) when there is a disconnect , what is the event log getting generated at client side ? and on server side ?sainath Windows Driver Development
April 10th, 2009 3:45pm

Sainath,Thanks for the prompt reply, and apologies for my own delayed response (I'm off on Saturday/Sunday). To answer your questions:a) We do not have a SAN or NAS setup; all the shared drives are directly on the Windows 2008 Server's harddrive. The server has two one-terabyte harddrives in a RAID-1 configuration (for backup/mirroring) and is partitioned into two drives, C: for the operating system & D: for all of the shared folders. Each user has his or her own folder on the server's D: drive, and that folder is mapped to their local workstation as drive E:; there is also a shortcut on everyone's desktopthat goes directly to the server's D: drive, so that users can access co-workers' files if they need to.b) I have not run your test yet, but have printed out the instructions and will do so in a minute (wanted to get this reply out to you first).c) This issue is happening with all the workstations that connect to the server; so pretty much any drive / folder on the Windows 2008 Server's D: drive.d) Our office has never had a Windows 2003 Server. Prior to purchasing Windows 2008 Server last year, our network was operating on a simple peer-to-peer workgroup model, with all the computer using Windows XP Home and everyone running their computers as administrators. e) The clients are all on the same subnet (Subnet mask 255.255.255.0). All workstations have Static IP addresses of 192.168.80.xx; the Windows 2008 Server has a Static IP address of 192.168.80.20 and the NetScreen NS-5GT has a Static IP address of 192.168.80.1 (Default Gateway). f) On the client side, nothing suspicious is being reported in the Event Viewer (Local). Last Friday, when I was disconnected probably over two dozen times throughout the day, the only thing in the "Application" Log were Information/Error messages for MsInstaller (Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition); under "Security", it simply said "There are no items to show in this view"; and under "System", there were a bunch of Information items from the Service Control Manager about the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service entered the running state", etc. (cause I was burning CDs) and a single entry from the Windows Update Agent (about Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3 being downloaded and ready for installation). No reports about being disconnected from the server at all. Going to the Windows 2008 Server into Event Viewer > Windows Logs, there was nothing in the Application log; the Security log has massive amounts of "Audit Success" entries regarding one of four items:(1) "Special privileges assigned to new logon", (2) "An account was successfully logged on", (3) "A logon was attempted using explicit credentials", or (4) "An account was logged off". Lastly, the System log only had a couple of items regarding (1) The Windows Modules Installer service entered the running state, (2) The Windows Modules Installer service entered the stopped state, (3) The system uptime is 741269 seconds, and (4)The Key Distribution Center (KDC) cannot find a suitable certificate to use for smart card logons, or the KDC certificate could not be verified. Smart card logon may not function correctly if this problem is not resolved. To correct this problem, either verify the existing KDC certificate using certutil.exe or enroll for a new KDC certificate. That's pretty much it. Whatever is causing the disconnects, it doesn't seem worthy enough for the Windows XP Pro workstations to note an entry about it in the Event Logs, and only shows up in the Security Log on the server. OK, I'm going to try disabling SMB 2.0 using the instructions you gave to me in (b) above, and will report what happens later. Thank you again for your patience and assistance in this matter.Regards,L.F. Lee
April 13th, 2009 7:28am

hi there,thanks for the detailed info , will wait for the results , based on that we can go forward with troubleshootingsainath Windows Driver Development
April 13th, 2009 7:52am

Sainath,Regarding the disabling of SMB 2.0 in (b) above:I didn't have any problems making the regedit changes; however, when I went to Start > Run > gpedit.msc and opened up the Local Group Policy Editor, I couldn't change any of the settings at all because everything was greyed out. Because everything was greyed out in gpedit.msc, I went into the Group Policy Management Editor instead. Unsure if this is the correct place for doing so, but the place where I ended up making the above changes was: Default Domain Controllers Policy > Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings >Local Policies > Security Options. If this is not the correct place to make those edits, please let me know. btw, there was no entry for 'Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if server agrees) to "enabled"'; I assume that was a typo and you meant to write 'Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (ifCLIENT agrees) to "enabled"'...? I did not get any prompting from the Windows 2008 Serverto reboot after modifying the registry keys or policy settings, so I did not do so, especially since I didn't want to disrupt my co-workers' work unnecessarily. However, if you feel I should reboot the computer, please let me know. Assuming that SMB 2.0 is now successfully disabled, how should I proceed now?Thank you again for your help!Sincerely,L.F. Lee
April 13th, 2009 8:03am

hi there,you should be able to change the above said policy using gpedit.msc, please do check if administrator account has permission to sysvol folder. alternative --you can check those group policies using secpol.msc ( start --> run --> secpol.msc ) and follow the above path and try checking the policies. ===========================================================================once you have disabled smb2.0 please do restart your 2008 server and test for the issue. also make sure create a new share on c drive and check if the issue is happneing , similarly do create a new share on d drive with all required permissions and check for the issue. ==========================================================================please do check the issue under safe mode with networking from one of the client PC to test the connectivity.sainath Windows Driver Development
April 13th, 2009 1:08pm

Sainath,By "sysvol" folder, I assume you are talking about the folder C:\System Volume Information? Cause when I go to the Security tab on that folder on the Windows 2008 Server and try to add the administrator user with full control permissions, I get a pop-up box stating "An error occurred while applying security information to: C:\System Volume Information\SRM. Access is denied." All of the policy items you listed above are still greyed out too; same thing when I try using Secpol.msc (i.e., everything is greyed out). So is changing those policy items in the Default Domain Controllers Policy via Group Policy Management Editor incorrect...?Since I'm working the late shift tonight until 9:45 p.m., I'll reboot the server at 8 p.m. when most of the staff get off work, so as to minimize disruption for my co-workers. Thanks again for your patience and advice,L.F. Lee
April 14th, 2009 11:28am

hi there,this behavior might occur if your administrators have implemented group policy for administrator please do check if there are any GPO applied for administratorswhen using secpol using administrator login you should not see policies in grayed out mode.sainath Windows Driver Development
April 14th, 2009 3:06pm

Hello Lee, Just a small question by any chance do have dell server with Broadcom NIC ?? Thanks Syed Khairuddin
April 14th, 2009 4:49pm

Sainath,Unfortunately, I *am* the administrator... :-0 My original job of Webmaster kind of got expanded since I had some experience with peer-to-peer workgroups and building computers, but I readily admit I'm rather inexperienced with server systems and this really has become a "learn on the job" process for me. If there is a GPO applied for administrators, I'm guessing it was a default setting of Windows Server 2008, as I am unsure how to set such a policy...Syed Khairuddin,No, this is not a Dell server with a Broadcom NIC. Although I think the computer markets here do sell some pre-made Dell and HP systems in Taiwan, the vast majority of the people here use their own stuff, and our company was no exception. Thus, all of our computers, workstations,and serverwere custom made (i.e., I indivdually chose all the hardware components that went into the final systems). The NIC in the server is a Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.L.F. Lee
April 16th, 2009 3:35pm

hi L.F.Lee,thanks for the response, pelase do check if you have a faulty switch ? try replacing switch and check if you can get rid of the problem. Please make sure you disable AV on the windows 2008 for testing purpose or if possible use msconfig utility to disable all 3rd party services and check the behavior and please do send gpresult info from windows 2008 server .finally a netmon trace would help from client to server.sainath Windows Driver Development
April 16th, 2009 4:51pm

Sainath,Unfortunately, after disabling SMB 2.0 inaccordance with your instructionsabove and rebooting the server, we're still experiencing the same issues. btw, the way our LAN is set up looks something like this:Internet <--> NetScreen-5GT <--> Windows 2008 Server and three 16-port switches <--> computers / workstations / 5-port switches / 8-port switches / printersSince the disconnection problems are occurring with workstations located across all of the main 16-port switches, and since the probability of all three of those switches being faulty is rather slim, I doubt it is a hardware issue with the switches...There is no anti-virus installed on the Windows 2008 Server; instead, all the workstations and computers have Norton Internet Security / Norton anti-virus installed, and there's also some AV software built into the NetScreen-5GT. When we got the server last year, the 2008 version had pretty much just been released, and thus there really weren't any AV options for it. When I use the command "gpresult /r" on the server, I get the following:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------C:\Users\Administrator>gpresult /r Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Operating System Group Policy Result tool v2.0Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2001 Created On 4/17/2009 at 7:16:49 PM RSOP data for TPRT\administrator on TPRT-SERVER01 : Logging Mode----------------------------------------------------------------- OS Configuration: Primary Domain ControllerOS Version: 6.0.6001Site Name: TaiwanRoaming Profile: N/ALocal Profile: C:\Users\AdministratorConnected over a slow link?: No COMPUTER SETTINGS------------------ CN=TPRT-SERVER01,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=tw01,DC=princetonreview,DC=com,DC=tw Last time Group Policy was applied: 4/17/2009 at 7:14:49 PM Group Policy was applied from: TPRT-Server01.tw01.princetonreview.com.tw Group Policy slow link threshold: 100 kbps Domain Name: TPRT Domain Type: Windows 2000 Applied Group Policy Objects ----------------------------- Default Domain Policy Default Domain Controllers Policy Local Group Policy The computer is a part of the following security groups ------------------------------------------------------- BUILTIN\Administrators Everyone BUILTIN\Users BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access Terminal Server License Servers Windows Authorization Access Group NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users This Organization TPRT-SERVER01$ Domain Controllers NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS Terminal Server Computers Denied RODC Password Replication Group System Mandatory Level USER SETTINGS-------------- CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=tw01,DC=princetonreview,DC=com,DC=tw Last time Group Policy was applied: 4/17/2009 at 7:05:56 PM Group Policy was applied from: TPRT-Server01.tw01.princetonreview.com.tw Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps Domain Name: TPRT Domain Type: Windows 2000 Applied Group Policy Objects ----------------------------- N/A The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out ------------------------------------------------------------------- Default Domain Policy Filtering: Not Applied (Empty) Local Group Policy Filtering: Not Applied (Empty) The user is a part of the following security groups --------------------------------------------------- Domain Users Everyone BUILTIN\Administrators Terminal Server License Servers BUILTIN\Users BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users This Organization LOCAL Group Policy Creator Owners Domain Admins Enterprise Admins Schema Admins Denied RODC Password Replication Group High Mandatory Level C:\Users\Administrator>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Unsure how to perform a "netmon trace".... :-0 When I go to Start > Run >cmd and try typing in "netmon", I get the error message "'netmon' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Indeed, typing "help" lists all the available commands, none of which start with the letter "N". What exactly is a "netmon trace" and how do I run it? Hope this helps a little bit. Thank you again for your assistance, and any further advice on how I should proceed.L.F. Lee
April 17th, 2009 2:36pm

Hello Lee, Can we perform a small test ??try a simple clean boot and monitor the server for hour and let us know what happens.Steps toPerform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". 5. Monitor the server for atleast an Hour and seeif the problem reappearsagain please check the eventviewer and lets us know.Thanks http://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
April 19th, 2009 11:11am

Hi LeeWe experienced something very similar to this recently, although our server is Win2003 R2. We tried many of the things suggested here, but with no luck. It turns out the solution was actually mentioned in one of the treads you referenced. We found that simply re-initalising the off-line cache on the user's PC fixed the problem. The KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738 provides instructions on reseting the cache. We did find it was best to do this as an administrator on the PC, even if the user has access the the tab. Hope this helps, Jon
April 20th, 2009 6:04am

hi jon.that is indeed a very good article which lee can try . sainath Windows Driver Development
April 20th, 2009 8:51am

Syed Khairuddin,OK, I followed your instructions above to perform a Clean Boot; after hiding all Microsoft Services, there were only three items remaining: (1) InstallDriver Table Manager by Macrovision Corporation(2) LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling Service by HP Company(3) Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine by Sage SoftwareI disabled all three of them and then rebooted. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to have any effect on the problem--all the workstations are being disconnected more frequently than ever.(Indeed, I was told by my co-workers today that the frequency of disconnections increased dramatically over the weekend while I was out.) Nothing of note appears to be showing up in the Windows 2008 Server Event Viewer > Windows Logs either;the Application log and System log only have a couple of items, none of which appear to be related to the workstation disconnections, and the only sign that something isamiss is in the Security log, which continues to display massive amounts of "Audit Success" entries regarding one of four items:(1) "Special privileges assigned to new logon"(2) "An account was successfully logged on"(3) "A logon was attempted using explicit credentials"(4) "An account was logged off"Jon-W,One of the first things I tried when this problem came up was to re-initialize the off-line cache in accordance with that KB article on Microsoft's website that I referenced earlier. I tried doing so for both my work station and two co-workers' workstations.It did not resolve the problem, unfortunately. Any other suggestions on what to try next? Thank you again everyone for all your help!L.F. Lee
April 20th, 2009 9:52am

hi lee,i would suggest you to restart the server in safe mode with networking and check if the issue occurs which will eliminate all the possible drivers from safe mode , and if the issue re-occur , i would need you to take a ethereal / netmon capture and send the file or paste the packets in the thread for further analysis. would like to know if the issue happens between windows 2008 - windows 2008 ?any suspicious packets on NetScreen-5GT ? is it possible for you to test the connectivity with cross over cable just to eliminate entire network issue if any and to test between only 2 clients . make sure you update mrxsmb.sys , rdbss.sys and netbt.sys fileso n clients sainath Windows Driver Development
April 20th, 2009 10:00am

Hello Lee, Thanks for getting back to us and I appreciate your hardworkto troubleshoot the issue. 1) Do you haveWindows 2008service pack 2 Installed on your server ?? 2) Can we change the NIC card on your serverand see if the problem appears again, I am advising you this because there is a chance some times these problems may happen without any reasons.Thanks http://www.technetfaqs.wordpress.com
April 20th, 2009 11:15am

Sainath, Syed, Argh Bill Gates and Windows are going to drive me crazy....! :-0 Apologies for this late message--it's been a very crazy & hectic day. While continuing my research into this problem both here and on other forums (as well as the Internet in general) yesterday, I came across two items that seemed like it might be a potential part of the problem: (1) Apparently, using Roaming Profiles together with Offline Files can create conflicts and potential issues, and thus everyone was recommending turning off Offline Files on the Profile folder; and (2) most people were also recommending folder redirection of the Desktop, My Documents folder, and Application folder to subfolders within the profile, since otherwise the user profiles on the local drive could become quite bloated. (Indeed, a couple of my co-workers had rather large, 2-3GB profiles...) So I foolishly followed the instructions to "disable offline caching" on the Profiles folder, and also did the folder redirection of the Desktop, My Documents folder, and Application folder, being sure to check the box to "copy all items" over to the new location. I thought everything was ok... Then I got into work today, and at least four of my co-workers had *nothing* on either their desktop or in their My Documents folder when they logged on...!!! :-0 I am unsure what was done incorrectly, but their data seems to have simply vanished into thin air. Everyone else's redirected desktop and My Documents folder seems ok; just those four co-workers (Ann, Sandy, Nick, Henry). I was able to recover one staff member's (Ann) data by logging into a different co-worker's (Christina) workstation, since I knew that Ann had used Christina's computer the other day; logged on as admin, went to Profiles, copied it over to a USB drive, and then re-copied it all to Ann's workstation and re-synced it. However, while this resolved Ann's missing data, for some reason when Christina logged back on to her workstation, the data on her desktop and in her My Documents folder had disappeared..!! :-( Realizing I'd obviously done something wrong with Folder Redirection &/or disabling of offline caching on the Profile share (though what, I have no idea), I proceeded to spend the entire day trying to make backup copies of all my co-worker's desktops and My Documents folders (lest they log off and then log back on only to discover the same problem that Christina had with her system), as well as to try to find out where all of that missing data went... :-( Any ideas on why the profile redirections worked for most of my co-workers but not for a few of them? Or more importantly, where I can recover that missing data...? Anyway, to answer your questions: 1) i would suggest you to restart the server in safe mode with networking and check if the issue occurs which will eliminate all the possible drivers from safe mode , and if the issue re-occur , i would need you to take a ethereal / netmon capture and send the file or paste the packets in the thread for further analysis. I have not had a chance to try this yet. Though now that most everyone is off of work already (it's 9:20 p.m. here & I'm on the late shift til closing at 9:45 p.m.), I was planning on rebooting the server anyway to see if I could find those missing Desktop & My Documents data... 2) would like to know if the issue happens between windows 2008 - windows 2008 ? No idea if this happens between two Windows 2008 machines--only have one server in the office. 3) any suspicious packets on NetScreen-5GT ? None that I could tell. 4) is it possible for you to test the connectivity with cross over cable just to eliminate entire network issue if any and to test between only 2 clients . Unfortunately, since our office is open seven days/week and there's only one server with no backup test machine, it's kind of difficult to implement this sort of test... :-( 5) make sure you update mrxsmb.sys , rdbss.sys and netbt.sys files on clients Have not done this yet. I'm assuming I can find/download these files off of Microsoft's website? Are these files that go into the C:\Windows\System32 folder? 1) Do you have Windows 2008 service pack 2 Installed on your server ?? No, we're still using service pack 1; the last time I did a Windows Update on the server (which was on Apr 16, 2009, at 10:25 p.m.), there wasn't anything about a SP2 for Windows 2008 Server out. I'll run Windows Update on the server again in a moment and see if there's a SP2 available. 2) Can we change the NIC card on your server and see if the problem appears again, I am advising you this because there is a chance some times these problems may happen without any reasons. I don't have an extra NIC card laying around, but I can probably buy one tomorrow before I come into the office. I imagine the biggest difficulty will be getting it installed and whatnot before my co-workers start coming in.... OK, going to go see if there is an SP2 for Windows 2008 Server and to reboot the server in Safe Mode. Thank you again for trying to help me resolve these issues! I really do appreciate it. L.F. Lee
April 21st, 2009 4:52pm

Sainath, Syed,It's 11:20 p.m. & I'm still in the office....though really have to leave soon. Wanted to send this reply, in case you're in a US time zone and are currently in your respective offices.Restarting the Windows 2008 Server in Safe Mode with Networking didn't resolve anything; in fact, almost immediately after I logged onto my workstationI had to re-synchronize all my files. I tried logging onto a co-worker's (Sandy) workstation as admin, same thing--immediately needed to resynchronize. I've since re-booted the server again in regular mode. Sainath, could you please provide me with instructions on how to perform an ethereal / netmon capture? Thanks! Syed,there wasn't a Windows 2008 service pack 2 for download via Windows Update. Does this have to be done via a special download off of Microsoft's website?On hindsight, regardless of how bloated my co-workers' profiles were, if their workstations are having problems staying connected to the server, re-directing their Desktops and My Documents folders to the server probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.... :-0 Perhaps I should try undoing that? Supposedly, removing that policy should "restore" those items to their original locations in C:\Documents & Settings > xxxx. Maybe that would also restore those lost files on those few users who are missing all their data. What do you think? Quick follow-up questions in line with my research on the web to resolve this problem: Could part of the problem be related to an error in the server's distribution of CALs? I'm supposed to be in per device mode (as opposed to per user mode), but am unsure if they're being distributed properly. How can I check that? It seems like all the documentation I come across for checking CAL distribution only applies to the server being in per user mode or for users logging on remotely. Another item that I'm not sure is relevant or not; earlier, I erroneously reported that "I was told by my co-workers today that the frequency of disconnections increased dramatically over the weekend while I was out". That was actually with regard to Saturday only, cause I was in the neighborhood and came in to the office close to closing time to a barrage of complaints by the staff. However, another one of my co-workers today (Tuesday) pointed out to me that the network was *very* stable with almost zero disconnections on Sunday... perhaps because there are fewer staff working that day? So the whole network seems very fickle...Thank you again for trying to help me resolve these problems...again, I really do appreciate it. L.F. Lee
April 21st, 2009 6:22pm

Hi Lee,I am also having the same problem. Did you solve your problem?Regards,KPAR
June 2nd, 2009 10:03pm

I have a Dell server with a broadcom NIC and I have this same problem.
June 30th, 2009 7:39pm

Hi. I got the same problem with a similar configuration. W2008 SP1 as a DC but without exchange. The server is a Fujitsu TX300 and the problem is similar. The server disconnect the share units and the users cannot access from their XP/Vista PC's. The event viewer, like iSolitaire's Server do not show anything. My DNS is working nice and continues to operate when the error appears. I do a ipconfig /flushdns and the server continues solving names. The only solution to resolve temporaly the problem is rebooting the server when the error appears. I'm desperate with this problem. Thanks
July 13th, 2009 9:16am

Hi Lee,I am having a similar problem to you and wondered whether you found a solution?Thanks,Tom.
September 3rd, 2009 10:11am

Hi Lee, I am having a similar problem to you and wondered whether you found a solution? Thanks, Tom. I am having a similar problem also... Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I am using a Dell server with a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet network card. The Broadcom card has been mentioned a couple of time - is there a known problem with this? Thanks
February 2nd, 2011 6:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics