Windows VPN
Hello, I am planning on implementing a Windows client to server VPN using RRAS and IAS:See postWe are running a medical app that uses network discovery to check for a network key on one of three servers located in the office.The s/w company is disinclined to say how key discovery is performed because they do not want people tinkering with it.When users bring their Laptops into the LAN, they can open the medical app because the key on the server supports 5 concurrent users. The application discovers the multiple servers automatically and checks that a network key license is available.In need the VPN to allow all ports to be open and broadcasts enabled, just like if the client was inside the LAN. Are broadcasts like NBT able to traverse the VPN tunnel?Any help is appreciated. Naki K. / Falcon ITSComputer and Network Service and Support, Miami, Fl
April 16th, 2010 4:24pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. Yes, you can make NetBIOS broadcast name resolution available between VPN server a d VPN clients. There is a option "Enable broadcast name resolution" in the RRAS MMC. If you enable it, a remote access client can resolve full computer names and NetBIOS names of computers and other resources on a remote network that does not have either a DNS or a WINS server configured. However, the configuration is not recommended because it breaks the broadcast domain between the networks. Broadcast name resolution http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758175(WS.10).aspx If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2010 6:02am

Thank you Miles. One last question, if I enable this option, once the client disconnects, the broadcast domain will revert back to his/her local network? NakiNaki K. / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Service and Support, Miami, Fl
April 21st, 2010 4:02pm

Hi, Yes, the option "Enable broadcast name resolution" will only work between the VPN clients and internal network where VPN server resides in.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 7th, 2010 10:03am

Dear Miles Li, Could you give some solution with VPN Server? In my comapny using Windows 2008 Server as: ADDS, DNS, Exchange Server, and so on! Now I want to implement VPN Server running with Windows 2008 Enterprise Server with PPTP or L2TP protocol. Anyone can guys me step by step? With Windows XP When I am connected localy I can connect to the vpn (PPTP Protocol). but when I try to connect form the outside I get error 800 (PPTP Protocol). I have allowed all port: SSTP=443, PPTP=1723 with my firewall. any help will be great full. Noted: I can connected with windows Vista and Windows 7 using SSTP, it is working well. Thank you! Regards, Khemarin
May 29th, 2010 11:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics