Windows Updates Fail with 0x80070490, Repair install not available?
Hello, I am attempting to perform windows update on Server 2008 SP2 (not R2) and get an error 0x80070490. After some digging around I found this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044/en-us) that said to perform a repair install of Windows. However when I follow the steps outlined in the article the option to perform an "Upgrade" is not availalbe, it says that you need to use a later version of windows to upgrade. This is the same media I originally installed from, and the only media for Windows Server I have. How can I go about performing a "Repair Installation" of Windows Server 2008? Thanks, Cameron
December 18th, 2009 3:48am

Did you click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended) .?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 18th, 2009 4:38am

Hi, Thanks for the post. From your description, I understand that the error code 0x80070490 is received when performing Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 SP2; however, the system indicates that a later version of windows is required to upgrade when following the repair installation steps mentioned in KB958044. Please understand that your current system version is Windows Server 2008 SP2. If you try to insert the Windows Server 2008 installation DVD to perform upgrade procedure, the system will say that a later version of windows is required. We need to insert Windows Server 2008 embedded with SP2 DVD. If you have any installation media-related issue, it’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with this request. Thank you for your understanding. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers. In addition, for this update issue, I would like to confirm the following questions: 1. If you open the following folder on this computer, please check if there is over 1024 log files can be found in this folder: %WINDIR%\system32\catroot2 2. Check if the Event ID: 471 entry is logged in the Application log Thanks,Miles
December 18th, 2009 8:34am

Did you click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended) .? Hi Christoffer, Yes I did select this option, but with the same result I'm sorry to say.
December 23rd, 2009 4:49am

Hi, Thanks for the post. From your description, I understand that the error code 0x80070490 is received when performing Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 SP2; however, the system indicates that a later version of windows is required to upgrade when following the repair installation steps mentioned in KB958044. Please understand that your current system version is Windows Server 2008 SP2. If you try to insert the Windows Server 2008 installation DVD to perform upgrade procedure, the system will say that a later version of windows is required. We need to insert Windows Server 2008 embedded with SP2 DVD. If you have any installation media-related issue, it’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with this request. Thank you for your understanding. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers. In addition, for this update issue, I would like to confirm the following questions: 1. If you open the following folder on this computer, please check if there is over 1024 log files can be found in this folder: %WINDIR%\system32\catroot2 2. Check if the Event ID: 471 entry is logged in the Application log Thanks, Miles Hi Miles, There is less then 1024 items in the folder %WINDIR%\system32\catroot2. And there have been no event 471 in the event log. So how are people that have upgraded to SP2 supposed to perform the steps outlined in the knowledge base article? I never received a disc with SP2 slipstreamed, in fact it downloaded via windows update. Thanks, Cameron
December 23rd, 2009 5:22am

Hi Cameron,Thanks for the update.You could contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) for the Installation Media issue.In this case, please use the System Update Readiness Tool to check for corrupt or missing files: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 After the files are identified, you can copy this file to c:\windows\servicing\packages from another Windows Server 2008 x64 or Windows Vista x64 computer directly. If the issue persists, please collect the following log file and send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.logHope this helps.Miles
December 23rd, 2009 5:02pm

Hi Cameron, Thanks for the update. You could contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) for the Installation Media issue. In this case, please use the System Update Readiness Tool to check for corrupt or missing files: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 After the files are identified, you can copy this file to c:\windows\servicing\packages from another Windows Server 2008 x64 or Windows Vista x64 computer directly. If the issue persists, please collect the following log file and send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log Hope this helps. Miles Hi Miles, I've run this tool a few times now, without any success really. I've e-mailed the log files to you, but they do not list any missing or corrupt files. see below for the CheckSUR.log contents - ================================= Checking System Update Readiness. Binary Version 6.0.6002.22202 Package Version 6.0 2009-12-29 10:27 Checking Windows Servicing Packages Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs Checking Package Watchlist Checking Component Watchlist Checking Packages Checking Component Store Summary: Seconds executed: 120 No errors detected As it appears that I cannot perform a repair install with SP2 applied, should I be looking into uninstalling SP2? The link you provided does not contain any helpful information on obtaining a CD with SP2 already applied, it only asks for information on the support plan I have purchased.
December 29th, 2009 3:16am

Hi,Thanks for the update.Yes, you could perform a repair install after uninstalling SP2 if possible. In this way, the corrupt system files should be replaced correctly.Thanks,Miles
December 29th, 2009 9:54am

Hi, Thanks for the update. Yes, you could perform a repair install after uninstalling SP2 if possible. In this way, the corrupt system files should be replaced correctly. Thanks, Miles Thanks Miles, So the questions would be then, how do I go about uninstalling SP2? It does not appear in the Programs and Features list, although lots of other windows updates do. I've been attempting to find some documentation on how to un-nstall it manually, but it does not appear to exist. Thanks, Cameron
December 29th, 2009 10:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics