Windows Update error code 646
There is a specific forum for Windows Update issues - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads. You should probably respost your question there. When you do so, please make sure to indicate what operating system you're talking about.Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
November 18th, 2009 3:52pm

There is a specific forum for Windows Update issues - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads. You should probably respost your question there. When you do so, please make sure to indicate what operating system you're talking about.Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 18th, 2009 3:52pm

i am trying to update my computer but everytime i try the thing turns red and gives m the error code 646i would love some help on how to fix it or just how to update my computer
November 18th, 2009 11:02pm

November 18th, 2009 11:52pm

Hi, What system are you running? Please let me know the exact wording of the error code or error message. Tim Quan - MSFT
November 19th, 2009 2:24am

Hi, What system are you running? Please let me know the exact wording of the error code or error message. Tim Quan - MSFT
November 19th, 2009 2:24am

November 19th, 2009 10:24am

please let us know what u see under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
December 16th, 2009 2:22am

please let us know what u see under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
December 16th, 2009 2:22am

December 16th, 2009 10:22am

hi i tired to do the windows update and a error comes up as code 646 i cant get it fixed can u help me please
August 14th, 2010 1:33pm

code 646

hi i tired to do the windows update and a error comes up as code 646 i cant get it fixed can u help me please

code 646

August 14th, 2010 8:33pm

code 646
August 14th, 2010 8:33pm

Hi I had the same problem and i found the exact step to follow here you go For Windows 7 and Windows Vista users Click Start, and then in the Start Search box, type regedit. In the Programs list, right-click Regedit.exe, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders In the details pane of Registry Editor, locate AppData. The value of this key should be %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming. If the value is not set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming, right-click AppData in the details pane, and then click Modify. Enter %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming into the Value data box, and then click OK. Close Registry Editor. Try to install the update again. If the problem persists, repeat these steps but use the following registry subkeys instead of the subkey that is specified in step 3: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
October 19th, 2010 10:36am

Hi I had the same problem and i found the exact step to follow here you go For Windows 7 and Windows Vista users Click Start, and then in the Start Search box, type regedit. In the Programs list, right-click Regedit.exe, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders In the details pane of Registry Editor, locate AppData. The value of this key should be %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming. If the value is not set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming, right-click AppData in the details pane, and then click Modify. Enter %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming into the Value data box, and then click OK. Close Registry Editor. Try to install the update again. If the problem persists, repeat these steps but use the following registry subkeys instead of the subkey that is specified in step 3: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
October 19th, 2010 10:36am

October 19th, 2010 5:36pm

This fixed it for me http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=807426a1-8b78-4681-a606-dc39f4d7b64a&displaylang=en
October 29th, 2010 6:24pm

This fixed it for me http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=807426a1-8b78-4681-a606-dc39f4d7b64a&displaylang=en
October 29th, 2010 6:24pm

October 30th, 2010 1:24am

Wanted to say thank you...worked for me!!!
November 11th, 2010 8:04pm

November 11th, 2010 8:04pm

November 12th, 2010 4:04am

Thanks, this worked for me
November 14th, 2010 3:14pm

November 14th, 2010 3:14pm

November 14th, 2010 11:14pm

thanks Big Mike, i think this was the easiest fix I have done how you figured this one out, I ll never know mike
November 16th, 2010 8:47pm

thanks Big Mike, i think this was the easiest fix I have done how you figured this one out, I ll never know mike
November 16th, 2010 8:47pm

November 17th, 2010 4:47am

Regedit did the trick for me too.
November 22nd, 2010 8:47am

November 22nd, 2010 8:47am

November 22nd, 2010 4:47pm

I had the same problem and did something so simple I was sure it wouldn't work. Get this: I turned off my router (so went totally offline) and then installed my 10 updates that were coming up with the 646 error code. What happened? SUCCESS! I turned my router back on and my computer works without any more issues (as far as said updates are concerned). I hope this will be helpful (and much easier) for those who are getting that pesky 646 error.
November 23rd, 2010 10:46am

I had the same problem and did something so simple I was sure it wouldn't work. Get this: I turned off my router (so went totally offline) and then installed my 10 updates that were coming up with the 646 error code. What happened? SUCCESS! I turned my router back on and my computer works without any more issues (as far as said updates are concerned). I hope this will be helpful (and much easier) for those who are getting that pesky 646 error.
November 23rd, 2010 10:46am

November 23rd, 2010 6:46pm

Thanks for this info. I was battling with trying to find the right registry string to solve the issue. Thanks a bunch.
November 24th, 2010 1:33pm

Thanks for this info. I was battling with trying to find the right registry string to solve the issue. Thanks a bunch.
November 24th, 2010 1:33pm

That was only a coinicidence Tomek69. The issue is caused by a corrupt registry string value. Your issue remains. However you should follow Big Mikes post on how to navigate to correct it or in your case...check to make sure that the registry string is correct or future mystery issues may insue. Good Luck
November 24th, 2010 1:37pm

That was only a coinicidence Tomek69. The issue is caused by a corrupt registry string value. Your issue remains. However you should follow Big Mikes post on how to navigate to correct it or in your case...check to make sure that the registry string is correct or future mystery issues may insue. Good Luck
November 24th, 2010 1:37pm

November 24th, 2010 9:33pm

November 24th, 2010 9:37pm

Thank You!!!!! I've been trying to get these updates to install since August!
November 26th, 2010 10:28am

November 26th, 2010 10:28am

November 26th, 2010 6:28pm

Bigmike282, WOW.....Thanks. Worked like a clock at step 6 (after giving up). Really good job.
November 27th, 2010 1:33am

Bigmike282, WOW.....Thanks. Worked like a clock at step 6 (after giving up). Really good job.
November 27th, 2010 1:33am

November 27th, 2010 9:33am

This worked for me PERFECTLY!!! THANKS
November 30th, 2010 6:42pm

November 30th, 2010 6:42pm

December 1st, 2010 2:42am

This worked for me PERFECTLY!!! THANKS thanxz big mike...... worked for me tooo ... ! excellent stuff from ya !!
December 6th, 2010 6:11pm

This worked for me PERFECTLY!!! THANKS thanxz big mike...... worked for me tooo ... ! excellent stuff from ya !!
December 6th, 2010 6:11pm

thanxz mike ... it was done in a flash !
December 6th, 2010 6:12pm

December 6th, 2010 6:12pm

December 7th, 2010 2:11am

December 7th, 2010 2:12am

thankz alot...its really workout....
December 15th, 2010 4:21pm

December 15th, 2010 4:21pm

December 16th, 2010 12:21am

Regedit worked like a charm!
December 19th, 2010 12:09am

December 19th, 2010 12:09am

December 19th, 2010 8:09am

Big Mike, Thanks for the info. Although I dont like to mess in the registry, your information corrected the error. I appreciate your time and efford in helping. Merry Christmas.
December 21st, 2010 7:35pm

Big Mike, Thanks for the info. Although I dont like to mess in the registry, your information corrected the error. I appreciate your time and efford in helping. Merry Christmas.
December 21st, 2010 7:35pm

December 22nd, 2010 3:35am

good advice it worked for me
December 31st, 2010 10:05am

December 31st, 2010 10:05am

December 31st, 2010 6:05pm

Thanks bigmike282. It amazes me how people know this stuff. I'm glad I found this forum. Worked perfectly!! THANKS!!
January 12th, 2011 11:26pm

Thanks bigmike282. It amazes me how people know this stuff. I'm glad I found this forum. Worked perfectly!! THANKS!!
January 12th, 2011 11:26pm

January 13th, 2011 7:26am

just wanted to tell you thanks! it worked for my computer! :D
January 14th, 2011 4:31pm

January 14th, 2011 4:31pm

January 15th, 2011 12:31am

Thanks you bigmike. it worked for my windows 7 64bit pc.
January 16th, 2011 2:19pm

January 16th, 2011 2:19pm

Thanks you bigmike. it worked for my windows 7(64bit) pc.
January 16th, 2011 2:25pm

January 16th, 2011 2:25pm

January 16th, 2011 10:19pm

January 16th, 2011 10:25pm

Thanks so much... This was a big help.... I've been dealing with this issue since August 2009! Dell techs would help but obviously they only did a temp fix.
January 20th, 2011 12:04pm

Thanks so much... This was a big help.... I've been dealing with this issue since August 2009! Dell techs would help but obviously they only did a temp fix.
January 20th, 2011 12:04pm

January 20th, 2011 8:04pm

THANKS bigmike282!!!! Worked like a charm!
January 21st, 2011 1:35am

January 21st, 2011 1:35am

January 21st, 2011 9:35am

thank you bigmike282!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN or Women as in the net only you know your sex lol A big thanks to you very good inst. THANKS AGAIN
January 23rd, 2011 12:54pm

thank you bigmike282!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN or Women as in the net only you know your sex lol A big thanks to you very good inst. THANKS AGAIN
January 23rd, 2011 12:54pm

January 23rd, 2011 8:54pm

Hi, Thank you. It worked perfect:)
January 24th, 2011 7:58pm

January 24th, 2011 7:58pm

January 25th, 2011 3:58am

It did work, and the updates were installed, Thanks
January 28th, 2011 1:41am

January 28th, 2011 1:41am

January 28th, 2011 9:41am

TY! This worked perfectly.
January 29th, 2011 11:18am

January 29th, 2011 11:18am

January 29th, 2011 7:18pm

Thanks Dude
February 9th, 2011 1:33pm

Thanks Dude
February 9th, 2011 1:33pm

Thanks Dude
February 9th, 2011 9:33pm

The solution here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2258121 you can download Fix it for me at http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9737449 or choose Let me fix it myself as bigmike282 said above
February 14th, 2011 9:28pm

The solution here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2258121 you can download Fix it for me at http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9737449 or choose Let me fix it myself as bigmike282 said above
February 14th, 2011 9:28pm

February 15th, 2011 5:28am

This link here helped me: http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-fix-error-646-when-installing.html Hope it helps others too.
May 25th, 2011 3:44pm

This link here helped me: http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-fix-error-646-when-installing.html Hope it helps others too.
May 25th, 2011 3:44pm

May 25th, 2011 10:44pm

Hi. Many thanks and NOTHING WORKED !! Nada.I am simply going to try again in a few days as this is MOST LIKELY AN MS GLITCH (though rare indeed!) Marvbro
January 25th, 2012 9:43am

Hi. Many thanks and NOTHING WORKED !! Nada.I am simply going to try again in a few days as this is MOST LIKELY AN MS GLITCH (though rare indeed!) Marvbro
January 25th, 2012 9:43am

January 25th, 2012 9:52am

Works.. Thanks.
April 10th, 2012 8:07pm

Works.. Thanks.
April 10th, 2012 8:07pm

Works.. Thanks.
April 10th, 2012 8:14pm

wow, the registry is gibberish to me but i trusted you and did what you said and it worked! that is awesome!
April 15th, 2012 7:13pm

wow, the registry is gibberish to me but i trusted you and did what you said and it worked! that is awesome!
April 15th, 2012 7:13pm

April 15th, 2012 7:22pm

It worked!! You are awesome!!
July 17th, 2012 5:11am

It worked!! You are awesome!!
July 17th, 2012 5:13am

I had the same problem and did something so simple I was sure it wouldn't work. Get this: I turned off my router (so went totally offline) and then installed my 10 updates that were coming up with the 646 error code. What happened? SUCCESS! I turned my router back on and my computer works without any more issues (as far as said updates are concerned). I hope this will be helpful (and much easier) for those who are getting that pesky 646 error. I did something a little different with my laptop. I just disconnected from the network and ran the failed update and voila. FIXED!! How come Microsoft doesn't seem to be smart enough to suggest something as simple as what Tomek69 and I did?!
October 11th, 2012 1:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics