Windows Update error
I have just recently installed Server 2008 on a new server. I attached the server to our domain and am trying to get automatic updates to run. Recieving the following error:WARNING: Digital Signatures on file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab are not trusted: Error 0x800960032008-12-0114:49:53:4951012dccSetupWARNING: SelfUpdate check failed to download package information, error = 0x800960032008-12-0114:49:53:4951012dccSetupFATAL: SelfUpdate check failed, err = 0x80096003Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank you,Tom
December 1st, 2008 11:41pm

Hi Tom, Are you installing updates through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)? If so, I suggest discussing this issue in our WSUS forum. WSUS forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/threads/ Otherwise, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue. Step 1: Verify the relevant Windows Update services ================================= 1. Click the Start Button in the Start Search bar, type: "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 2. Double click the service "Windows Update". 3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service. 4. Please repeat the above steps with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start these services again. If any service is missing or cannot be stopped or restarted, please let me know. Step 2: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder ================================================ This issue may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site. 1. Close all the open windows. 2. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories". 3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". 4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed. 5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter. 6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution". 7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder. 8. While still in the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service. Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed. Step 3: Rename the CatRoot2 folder =========================== 1. Close all the open windows. 2. Click the Start Button, click "All Programs", and click "Accessories". 3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". 4. In the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop CryptSvc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed. 5. Click the Start Button, in the Start Search box, type: "%windir%\System32" (without the quotes) and press Enter. 6. In the opened folder, locate the CatRoot2 folder, right-click on it, and select Rename. Change the name to CR2OLD. Make sure you press Enter after typing in the new name, so the changes are executed. Warning: Please do not remove the "Catroot" folder, which is a system folder. 7. While still in the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start CryptSvc" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Cryptographic Services. Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. Please test the issue again and let me know the result. If the issue persists, please let me know the exact wording of the error message appearing on the screen when installing updates. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 2nd, 2008 1:03pm

Tim,Thank you for your assistance, the services were set at automatic (delayed). I switched them to automatic and restarted specified services. The server connected properly to my WSUS server and updates have been applied.Tom
December 2nd, 2008 5:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics