Windows Update Error 80070490 after installing Windows 2008 (x64) Service Pack 2
Hi, I realize that you have already tried some of the troubleshooting suggestions below. Would you please double check the following steps to fix the issue? Generally, we can perform the following troubleshooting suggestions to troubleshoot the Windows Update issue: Suggestion 1: Temporarily disable firewall and antivirus program to test the issue. Suggestion 2: Disable Windows Update service, rename the folder %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and restart the Windows Update service. Suggestion 3: Reset Windows Update components to check the result. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How do I reset Windows Update components? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 Suggestion 4: Run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe) to scan and repair the system files. If some files cannot be repaired automatically, you may replace them manually. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB and TechNet articles: Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 Advanced guidelines for diagnosing and fixing servicing corruption http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(WS.10).aspx Suggestion 5: Run SFC /Scannow to scan and repair the system files. If some corrupted files cannot be repaired, you may manually replace them. For more information, please read the following Microsoft KB article: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 Suggestion 6: Perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the whole system. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 17th, 2011 1:32pm

Thanks, and sorry for the delay. Maintenance windows on this box are limited. The first and second suggestions above got me an additional 40 updates. There are still 27 that will not apply, same error. I've gone through the rest of the suggestions wtih no success. I was not able to find the list of corrupted files from suggestion #5, although I did spend some time going through that article. I tried a few times to perform an in-place upgrade. The original installation of this machine was 2008 RC. The service pack 2 installation caused it not to allow me to perform an in-place upgrade from the original media. I downloaded the SP2 media from MDSN and tried the in-place upgrade with that. It gets to "Gathering Files (0%)", and stays there for hours. I found an article online about how having a lot of local user profiles can cause this to happen. It is now on my schedule to remove all local users, and try the in-place upgrade again, during the next maintenance window. Rather than an in-place upgrade, I'd prefer to upgrade to R2. Will I lose anything if I upgrade to R2? Thanks, Joe
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 25th, 2011 8:14am

Yes, lots of updates have been installed over the past week or so. Hostfix 975929 was the last hotfix installed. Of course being a Windows computer and installing hotfixes and updates each weekend I think it would be difficult to determine exactly which is causing problems. I have the CBS and CheckSur logs though if you want them. I'll go through your 6 suggestions one at a time, thanks for the help. If I have more problems I'll be sure to let you know. Joe
December 25th, 2011 8:27am

I am troubleshooting 80070490 after installing seervice pack 2 on Windows 2008 Standard, x64. A nice list of 59 updates show as available now, and all fail. The recommendations I've found so far are to hide KB967723, run SFC /SCANNOW, and run the KB947821 scanner. All of which we've tried, but with no success. Please let me know what needs done, or start up a conversation with me via e-mail so I can get this quickly resolved. This is on a production database server, no restore points, and is a high priority. When I ran the sfc /scannnow feature, I received the following output. The log, however, is extremely cryptic. I don't intend to copy and paste all 7MB of text here, but I could certainly send it out to someone if there is someone willing to help! Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th em. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log Thanks! Joe
December 25th, 2011 7:59pm

I guess I forgot to mention that I've already attempted to resort to an in-place upgrade. I originally tried to use the 2008 Server x64 disk that came with the box. That will not allow me to run an upgrade because it says it's a different version (Non sp2, which is now loaded). I pulled down Windows 2008 x64 SP2 from MSDN and tried the upgrade (in order to repair) using that. It gets to Gathering Files (0%), and stays there infinitely. Not sure why. Thanks! Joe
December 25th, 2011 8:26pm

Any hotfixes get installed? From the Windows Update log, what was the last successful update name and date?
December 25th, 2011 10:56pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 26th, 2011 12:16am

Hi, I realize that you have already tried some of the troubleshooting suggestions below. Would you please double check the following steps to fix the issue? Generally, we can perform the following troubleshooting suggestions to troubleshoot the Windows Update issue: Suggestion 1: Temporarily disable firewall and antivirus program to test the issue. Suggestion 2: Disable Windows Update service, rename the folder %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and restart the Windows Update service. Suggestion 3: Reset Windows Update components to check the result. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How do I reset Windows Update components? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 Suggestion 4: Run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe) to scan and repair the system files. If some files cannot be repaired automatically, you may replace them manually. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB and TechNet articles: Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 Advanced guidelines for diagnosing and fixing servicing corruption http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(WS.10).aspx Suggestion 5: Run SFC /Scannow to scan and repair the system files. If some corrupted files cannot be repaired, you may manually replace them. For more information, please read the following Microsoft KB article: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 Suggestion 6: Perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the whole system. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 26th, 2011 5:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics