Windows Update Agent Version 7.6.7600.256 - installed automatically
On a Windows 2008 and a Windows 2008 R2 server, I see that an update was installed automatically even though my preferences for Windows updates (on servers) are: "Check for updates but let me decide whether to download and install them". Well, as justified as this update may be, I was not allowed to decide whether to download and install it or not. So Microsoft can download and install software on your servers without the system administrators knowing (unless they read the logs, which alerted me to the fact that software was being downloaded and installed, with all kinds of error and warning messages about the non-English versions of the update not being applicable to my machines). ???? Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.
June 21st, 2012 2:29pm

Does anyone know how to uninstall Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 ? It doesn't appear with the other updates that can be uninstalled. Neither is it in the hidden update folder. I have tried running a system restore point dated before the Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 installed. It didn't uninstall it. All this update has done is extent the boot up time on the my computer by showing a black screen with some digits on it and configure 3 updates every single time I boot up my computer. I really don't need this. Thanks for your help.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 23rd, 2012 4:32am

Does anyone know how to uninstall Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 ? It doesn't appear with the other updates that can be uninstalled. Neither is it in the hidden update folder. I have tried running a system restore point dated before the Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 installed. It didn't uninstall it. All this update has done is extent the boot up time on the my computer by showing a black screen with some digits on it and configure 3 updates every single time I boot up my computer. I really don't need this. Thanks for your help.
June 23rd, 2012 4:32am

June 23rd, 2012 4:34am

I also encountered the same problem. Onec Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 was installed, I am not able to check upates from WSUS server. How can i uninstall Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 ?
June 24th, 2012 9:27pm

This also occurred on my Windows 7 Ultimate notebook. It was a complete background install that only appeared when I rebooted. Microsoft and Windows 7 did this in spite of the settings I have which require me to choose whether to download or install them. This really begs the question as to whether Microsoft has the ability to force-push software of their own choosing to MY computer? Irrespective of what it may do to MY computer??? I believe this is a violation of federal laws regarding protected systems. It was an uninvited installation of unrequested software through surreptitious means. What backdoor is Microsoft using to do this and what other software are hackers, governments, spies, spammers and all other sorts of ilk using this backdoor to push all sorts uninvited garbageware and spyware onto our computer systems?
June 25th, 2012 2:53pm

This also occurred on my Windows 7 Ultimate notebook. It was a complete background install that only appeared when I rebooted. Microsoft and Windows 7 did this in spite of the settings I have which require me to choose whether to download or install them. This really begs the question as to whether Microsoft has the ability to force-push software of their own choosing to MY computer? Irrespective of what it may do to MY computer??? I believe this is a violation of federal laws regarding protected systems. It was an uninvited installation of unrequested software through surreptitious means. What backdoor is Microsoft using to do this and what other software are hackers, governments, spies, spammers and all other sorts of ilk using this backdoor to push all sorts uninvited garbageware and spyware onto our computer systems?
June 25th, 2012 2:53pm

June 25th, 2012 2:55pm

Dears, I found a solution from this thread. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/thread/70a8698c-ad6c-40cb-8d08-939a982dd95f Someone have resolved the issue by installing WSUS-KB2720211-x64.exe on the wsus. Now all computers with new uptdated agent work normally.
June 25th, 2012 10:27pm

WSUS-KB2720211 is actually WSUS 3.0 SP2. I can confirm that I had the dreaded 800B0001 error on my clients when trying to obtain updates from my WSUS server. This happened immediately after upgrading the Windows Update Agent on the client system(s) to 7.6.7600.256. Installing WSUS SP2 (and rebooting the WSUS server for good measure) has resolved the problem. It seems like this was a timing/sequence problem - the clients were updated to the latest WUA version, which apparently required WSUS to be at SP2 to communicate properly. Oddly, this WSUS update did not appear in the set of WSUS updates, otherwise it might have been installed first and thus avoided the problem entirely. Glenn
July 2nd, 2012 7:13am

WSUS-KB2720211 is actually WSUS 3.0 SP2. I can confirm that I had the dreaded 800B0001 error on my clients when trying to obtain updates from my WSUS server. This happened immediately after upgrading the Windows Update Agent on the client system(s) to 7.6.7600.256. Installing WSUS SP2 (and rebooting the WSUS server for good measure) has resolved the problem. Glenn no Glenn. KB2720211 is an "update" for WSUS 3.0 SP2. read MS KB article 2720211 carefully: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2720211/en-us you must install SP2 for WSUS 3.0 first (KB972455), reboot and then install KB2720211.
July 17th, 2012 11:44am

WSUS-KB2720211 is actually WSUS 3.0 SP2. I can confirm that I had the dreaded 800B0001 error on my clients when trying to obtain updates from my WSUS server. This happened immediately after upgrading the Windows Update Agent on the client system(s) to 7.6.7600.256. Installing WSUS SP2 (and rebooting the WSUS server for good measure) has resolved the problem. Glenn no Glenn. KB2720211 is an "update" for WSUS 3.0 SP2. read MS KB article 2720211 carefully: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2720211/en-us you must install SP2 for WSUS 3.0 first (KB972455), reboot and then install KB2720211.
July 17th, 2012 11:47am

Consider the issue resolved if you will, but in my case WSUS was not involved. I do not know about jalind. The issue is not interaction with WSUS *after* the update is installed but the fact the update can be installed without client approval to start with.Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.
July 18th, 2012 3:52am

Consider the issue resolved if you will, but in my case WSUS was not involved. I do not know about jalind. The issue is not interaction with WSUS *after* the update is installed but the fact the update can be installed without client approval to start with.Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.
July 18th, 2012 3:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics