Windows Time Service will not start after reboot
I am having a very wierd problem with Windows Time service. The computer is a Hyper-V virtual machine running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 SP2. It is a certificate server and a domain controller. It has been working fine for years as it was first setup in 2007. If reboot the server the windows time service will not start. The following 2 errors are produced: EventID: 30. The time service encountered an error while reading its configuration from the registry and cannot start. The error was: the system cannot find the specified file. (0x80070002) EventID: 46. The time service encountered an error and was forced to shut down. The error was: 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified. If I run w32tm /unregister and w32tm /register I can start the service. If I reboot I get the errors above. If I do this often enough the system will mark the service for deletion. Then I merge a reg file with the old settings and use the w32tm command to re-register the service. It will still not start on reboot. Another thread suggested reinstalling the Hyper-V integration components and that didn't help either. I am not sure how to fix this. I have checked the permissions on the registry and they look fine. Any helop would be greatly appreciated. Dave
July 12th, 2010 11:05pm

I'd check that the ImagePath and ServiceDLL in registry are type Reg_Expand_Sz Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2010 11:19pm

what does it do when you boot to safe mode?
July 12th, 2010 11:20pm

Thanks for the replies. Dave, both of those registry entries are type Reg_Expand_Sz. Chris, the Time service does not run in safe mode. Dave
July 12th, 2010 11:29pm

These ones may help. The Windows Time service may generate event ID 7023 after you upgrade to Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892501 Event ID 30 — Time Service Configuration http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733213(WS.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
July 12th, 2010 11:44pm

sorry wasnt thinking. :-)
July 13th, 2010 12:01am

Thanks Dave. I waded through these articles again as I saw them before. None of these items have helped. I redid the svchost.exe and changed to the domain administrator account. The service will still not start on boot up. If I register the service, I can start the service. When I reboot, no starting of the windows times service. Dave
July 13th, 2010 12:11am

Check for GPOs that disable the service???? Here is an example the from Windows 2003. http://networkadminkb.com/kb/Knowledge%20Base/Windows2003/W32Time%20does%20not%20synchronize%20time%20with%20any%20time%20source.aspx
July 13th, 2010 12:33am

Hi DBM , Thanks for posting here. Could you post any related info in log file “%systemroot%\certocm.log” here? And please check if "File and Print Sharing" service was enabled and started automatically. Meanwhile , I still suspect that integrated services cause this issue , so please check if it worked with uninstall and reinstall the Integrated Services from the Guest OS: Hyper-V Guest Components Please refer to the link below and please notice that after uninstall . Don’t forget to restart the guest virtual machine to make sure that the uninstall process has completed. http://capitalhead.com/articles/uninstall-integration-services-from-hyper-v-windows-guest-virtual-machine.aspx Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 13th, 2010 4:59am

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had time to try your suggestions. Hopefully later today I will have a chance. Dave.
July 14th, 2010 3:15pm

Gunner, Thanks for you input. We had changed anything with regards to group policy. The link you had was more for if it was synching as opposed to the service not starting. Tiger, Thanks for your input. I had removed and reinstalled the Hyper-V integrated services through the control panel. That didn't work for me. I tried the article that you gave me and that seems to have worked. After reinstalling the integration services, I can reboot the server and the time service starts. Not sure why it had quit working as it has been running for about 5 months. Thanks again. Dave.
July 16th, 2010 9:12pm

DBM, Tiger, What article fixed your problem? I have the same exact situation. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Samir
April 24th, 2011 6:17pm

To reinstall the Integration services, start the virtual machine, login, then click on Action menu and "Insert Integration Services Setup disk"
December 11th, 2012 11:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics