Windows Time, Netlogon won't start on 2k3 Web Edition
Good day all.This morning I attempted to access a directory on our 2k3 Web Edition Server that is protected by integrated windows auth, without success. Further investigation revealed that the NetLogon service was not started, nor was windows time.In the event log, the W32Time fires an error first, before the Service Control Manager fires off errors related to NetLogon:10/6/09 @ 6:43:11pm: W32Time: 0x80070700: attempt was made to logon, but the network logon service was not started.10/6/09 @ 6:44:32pm: Service Control Manager: Net Logon service terminated with following error: The specified module could not be found.These errors occurred immediately after a reboot; which was initiated after installing many windows updates...specifically: - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB970238) - Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003 (KB973346) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB973815) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB971657) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB971633) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB956844) - Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB968389) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB961371) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB968537) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB973354) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB973507) - Security Update for Jscript 5.7 for Windows Server 2003 (KB971961) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB967723) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB973869) - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB971557) - Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707) - Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB970653)As well as 961501, 9608759, 971032, 974331, 973540, 956744 and 970483.So, Windows Time can't start because Netlogon isn't running. I've checked that both Workstation and Server services are running, and NETDIAG only reports errors on Trust Relationship Tests, since NetLogon isn't running.I've searched high and low to find a resolution to this issue. The only thing I haven't tried is removing and rejoining the domain, but without NetLogon, I'm afraid this may not work either.Attempting to start netlogon from the command line reveals Error 126. I'm also getting the following Userenv error in the app log:Event Id: 1110; Source: UserenvAttempt to determine whether user and machine accounts are in the same forest failed (The interface is unknown. ).I believe this event is also related to the Netlogon service not running.Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!Thanks very much!BryanIT DirectorMoulthrop-Clift, Inc.
October 29th, 2009 11:33pm

Netlogon.dll - Version 5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710), 434,176 bytes on disk.lsasrv.dll - Version 5.2.3790.4530 (srv03_sp2_gdr.090615-1611), 819,200 bytes on disk.lsass.exe - Version 5.2.3790.0 (srv03_rtm.030324-2048), 16,384 bytes on disk.w32time.dll - Version 5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710), 229,376 bytes on disk.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2009 11:42pm

Hi Bryanmci, Thank you for posting here. According to your description, I understand you can start W32Time service on Windows 2003 web Edition server which is caused by an Netlogon service start error. As this issue occurs after some security updates are installed, please try the following steps to see if it gets rid of this issue. 1. Click start and run SFC /SCANNOW to verity if the system file has been changed. You may need to insert the Windows 2003 OS CD into the disc room. 2. Click start and run Regedit32.exe, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/], then add the following string into DependOnService value: LanmanServer LanmanWorkstation 3. Reboot the computer. Does it have any progress? If the issue continues, please collect more information for our research: 1. Export of netlogon registry key, please follow the steps:Start Run, Regedit, HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Services\NetlogonRight click netlogon, Export, Save As, Netlogon.txt 2. Follow the article below and enable netlogon logginghttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/109626 Value Path: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\ParametersValue Name: DBFlagValue Type: REG_SZValue Data: 0x2080FFFF (hex) Restart the netlogon service and send me across the netlogon.log file from the location C:\Windows\Debug. 3. Send me the MPS reports gathered from the problematic server: Download the proper MPS Report tool from the website below. Microsoft Product Support Reports http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en Double-click to run it. If the requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General"; Internet and Networking; Business Network; click Next. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results". Choose a folder to save the <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. 4. Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the files and then give us the download addressBest Regards,Wilson Jia This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
October 30th, 2009 9:00am

Hi There Wilson. Thanks so much for taking interest in this issue. I apologize that I wasn't very detailed in the steps I had performed in an attempt to fix this problem. I'll outline your suggested solutions below: 1. SFC /scannow was the first thing I did. A few files were copied from the original holographic CD, and the server was rebooted. Did not fix the problem. 2. Service parameters in the registry were verified as to your specifications mentioned. 3. I attempted to enable verbose logging of the netlogon service as per those same instructions. The netlogon.log file remains at 0 bytes despite numerous attempts to restart the service. I'm working remotely today, but should have some time this evening after hours to stop in the office and perform these steps once again to make sure I didn't miss something, and to bring down the web server if needed. Again, I appreciate your efforts. Thanks very much! Bryan FulkersinMoulthrop-Clift, Inc.
November 2nd, 2009 5:25pm

Hi Wilson.The requested files can be downloaded from:http://cid-ba7c63b41374aef0.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/IISPlease note that NETLOGON.LOG would not upload, as its size remains at 0 bytes.Look forward to hearing your solution(s).Thanks!
November 3rd, 2009 6:32pm

Hi Bryan,Thank you for your upload.Please try copy theNetlogon.dll and w32time.dll files from one of the working server to %systemroot%\system32 directory.Re-registered the files and rebooted the server.Does it work?BTW, you can delete the files in the skydirve.Best Regards,Wilson Jia This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 4th, 2009 10:13am

Hi Wilson...I copied netlogon.dll and w32time.dll from a working Server 2003 R2 server over to the troubled Server 2003 Web Edition server.Then, I did a regsvr32 w32time.dll, which succeeded.When I attempted to regsvr32 netlogon.dll, I received the following message:LoadLibrary("netlogon.dll") failed - Invalid access to memory location.I then rebooted the server in the hopes that it would work despite the error. No dice.Net Start Netlogon reveals: System error 126 has occurred; specified module could not be found.Each time I logon to the machine, I still get the Userenv 1110 event; Attempt to determine whether user and machine accounts are in the same forest failed (The interface is unknown. ).I've read suggestions of removing the machine from the domain, and then rejoining; however I'm a bit reluctant to try that, since if the Netlogon service isn't running, I may not be able to rejoin the domain since the computer cannot verify the trust to the domain.Have you any other suggestions?Thanks so much for the help. I sincerely appreciate it.Bryan FulkrsinIT DirectorMoulthrop-Clift, Inc.
November 5th, 2009 4:31pm

Hi Bryanmci,Thank you for you response.According to the error message, it looks like that the issue is more related to secure channel betweenwebserver and DC.To isolate the issue,please try logon the webserver locally (not login to domain).Can you restart the Netlogon services? If so, you may consider to re-join this webserver in your domain to rebuild the secure channel.Best Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 9th, 2009 2:50pm

Wilson...Logging on as local administrator and attempting startup of Netlogon failed.I'll be performing some maintenence tonight around 5pm ET. At that time, I will disjoin and rejoin the domain, and post back results.Thank you very much for your time on this. I appreciate it.
November 11th, 2009 11:19pm

any feedback from you? guess it has solve it?
December 7th, 2009 10:40am

Hi There. Same Bryanmci as before; just a new Windows Live ID.Sorry it's taken so long to finally get down to this; been very busy lately with Holidays and such. I'm now at a point where I really need to nip this one in the butt.I took the machine out of our domain; placed it in a temporary workgroup. Rebooted server. No errors this time upon startup, and the event log shows (at least) the Windows Time service starts, and succesfully synchronizes with time.windows.com.At this time I then deleted the computer account from active directory via Active Directory Users and Computers. Just to make sure everything was flushed, I then did a secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy as well as a user_policy. (Domain Controller is Windows 2000 SBS)I then successfully rejoined the 2k3 Web Edition machine to the domain, and proceeded with a reboot. As the machine rebooted, I went back to the DC and moved the server object in AD to the proper OU.Server booted up, and upon "Preparing Network Connections", that damned old "At least one service or driver failed to start" appeared. Checking the event logs, and sure enough...Netlogon failed to start as well as the Windows Time Service.Seems as if Netlogon doesn't like the fact that it's joined to a domain. One quick thought that appeared in my head was, "Well, maybe an update that was installed would cause Server 2003 not to "make friends" with a Server 2000 domain" (being that W2k is EOL). But, I have a 2003 Server (Standard Edition) that is purely our MS-SQL server that does not have the same problems that our 2003 Web Edition does.Any other clues on this one?
January 22nd, 2010 2:50am

Finally nipped this one in the butt by uninstalling Service Pack 2 for Server 2003. Upon reboot, Netlogon service started as normal.I'm leaving this server at Service Pack 1 until I see a dire need to update to SP2.
February 10th, 2010 6:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics