Windows Thin PC -
am trying to understand what Windows Thin PC is exactly? It seems it's software I install on a computer that gives the user access to a stripped down and locked down Windows 7 setup. However there are all kinds of references to VDI with it so I'm not sure if there's a server element involved? For instance it discussing licensing there's this phrase that MS -( http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:-ZsibKEdTGwJ:download.microsoft.com/download/B/4/9/B49ED982-2FDE-43EC-8F85-1CE4077A71F5/WinTPC%2520FAQ%2520v1%25200.pdf+windows+thinpc&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShaFQEMBoEB1KvtyrKX5S-fXYfwmMlCw0yDWEGDHU5dIsHWzp7KRJRCx4IevC3M1pxkz0htOhtPYmyDU280XIOkK02M-XMxKJPVVgxT6q51Bs6u7Cm3Dao7pckcM5Il2SXOxzD_&sig=AHIEtbQ1M1xIlZm0giEF_5Qb6pNgRb75Nw) uses to describe Thin PC - "And since these PCs retain their existing SA coverage, they do not need any additional Windows Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) licensing for Microsoft Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Suites." It's the VDI business in that sentence that makes me curious - as I thought VDI was server-related - Windows 7 images that you tossed out from a server via RDS/TS. So do I have to build some kind of server-based Windows 7 image in order for Thin PC to work? And given that I can have clients access Windows 7 images through RDS/TS or can just give people pure RDS/TS sessions in XP, what would Windows Thin PC buy me? Elucidation would be appreciated.
May 21st, 2011 3:29pm

The main reason for using Thin PC is to use some of your existing hardware rather than buy new terminals (Windows Embedded Thin Clients) for VDA clients. Thin PC is basically a cutdown version of Windows 7 which will run as a VDA client. You do not need to buy VDA licenses for Thin PC clients - it is included. I guess you could use one as a TS client, but I can't see the point of doing it. You cannot write to the local HDD. You can download the RC version of Thin PC from connect if you want to see what it looks like. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2011 7:37pm

Hi, Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance on this issue. Thanks, MilesPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 23rd, 2011 5:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics