Windows Storage Server 2003 RS Security Descriptors changed after Reboot?
I had a Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 on a HP Proliant DL320 G5 large array. The server decided to hiccup last week. It rebooted and then upon reboot, it ran chkdsk /f. After it was done I found that it changed all of the security descriptors. Now..it is still apart of the domain, I can login as Domain Admin, I took ownership of all the drives. I can view the file allocation table but I cannot open any file or run any exe. Is there anyway to change these security descriptors back, and what is the default security descriptor settings? Is there ANYWAY at all to change these?
July 27th, 2010 7:35pm

Hi, Is SP2 installed on the server? It seems that you encounter the issue mentioned in the following KB article: The Chkdsk.exe utility incorrectly identifies and resets security descriptors in Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913034 Hope it helps.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2010 10:00am

Yes thank you!! I know now the true meaning of default security...NONE. I had to go into every folder and recreate all the permissions for every group and user.Thank you for the link.
August 6th, 2010 2:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics