Windows Service not discovered on one of the servers

Hi experts,

I have a following problem - on one of the servers SCOM 2012 does not discover the windows service, that is supposed to be monitored by Windows Service template monitor I created. Service is present and discovered properly on any other servers running it. Any hints were to start looking for solution? Everything else seems healthy on the server, no relevant Warnings in Ops Mgr event log, object is green in SCOM

May 29th, 2015 4:21am

try to clear agents cache and flush it's state on the server where it fails to discover service.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 4:39am

Forgot to say - this was already done of course. Service stopped, health service state folder rwmoved, service restarted. No changes
May 29th, 2015 4:45am

Is the service startup Automatic? Or Manual? If it's manual, you will need to override the monitor to monitor manual-startup services.
May 29th, 2015 11:43am

May be your service in this machine is not run automatic. By default, Windows Service template monitor only monitor automatic windows service. If your windows service is not run automatic, you should modify your windows service template monitor by clearing "monitor only automatic service" option.

Roger

• Proposed as answer by Gautam.75801 14 hours 33 minutes ago
May 31st, 2015 10:22am

Hi There,

As mentioned above, please see if the startup type of the windows service is set to automatic, as SCOM will not monitor the service if it is in Disabled or Manual state.

Also can you check the override summary if you are using a unit monitor for basic service monitoring ?

Also what is the status of the monitor VIA Health explorer is it Healthy or is it Not Monitored ?

Post the results here.

May 31st, 2015 12:40pm

May be your service in this machine is not run automatic. By default, Windows Service template monitor only monitor automatic windows service. If your windows service is not run automatic, you should modify your windows service template monitor by clearing "monitor only automatic service" option.

Roger

• Proposed as answer by Gautam.75801 Sunday, May 31, 2015 4:36 PM
May 31st, 2015 2:21pm

Roger

Roger

• Unproposed as answer by Dariusz Nowara Tuesday, June 02, 2015 7:13 AM

Roger

Roger

Hi guys, thank you for input. Yes the service is set up to Automatic. The whole object is healthy, but the monitor does not even show up under local application roll-up on this particular server. As for the "Unit Monitor for Basic Service Monitoring" I think I didn't get the question, could you please elaborate a bit more? The Windows Service tamplate monitor is active for a group, and the server is a member of this group
June 2nd, 2015 3:19am

Hi Dariusz,

Thanks for the information.

So as you mentioned the Alert is a basic service monitor

Also the service is set to startup type automatic

I would suggest you to check and perform the below.

Check if there is any override set to the monitor using the override summary.
Also is the monitor working fine on other Agents (Are the alerts appearing when the service is stopped on other agents)

Can you check the health state what you have set ? It should be like the below.

Also if the above mentioned is correct, Monitor is configured correctly and No overrides are set and the alert appears on other agents when the service stops there then try the below.

Login to the Agent.
Stop the healthservice
Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Monitoring Agent\Agent

Here rename Health service state folder to Health service state_old
Start the Healthservice

Post doing the above a new Health service state folder will be created forcing a new alerting configuration.

Wait for some time and check the Health explorer and also by stopping the service to see if the alert appears then or not.

Post me the re

June 2nd, 2015 4:46am

Hi There,

What is the service you are monitoring ?

Also which is the OS Version you are using on the server where the service is running ?

What is the target you are selecting when you are creating the monitor ?

Can you post answers for the above plz.

June 17th, 2015 3:46am

Hi,

Well, by checking the properties of the monitor on the server where it works in the override summary it shows, that there are no overrides configured for the monitor. I have already flushed the service cache folder, as you suggested. I also changed a few times management server, restarting service but nothing changed the situation - only on this server service is not discovered and it is not showing up under Local Application. Any idea on how to troubleshoot the discovery itself? The server is in the proper group, as other settings applied to the group apply as well to this one, just not the basic Windows Service monitor I created

June 17th, 2015 6:39am

To add more - I created a group which contains only this one server. I created a new monitor - I started the wizard, I connected to very the same server to get the services. I picked the service from the list of services displayed for this exact server. I saved everything. I stopped the service, cleared the cache folder, deleted the server from SCOM, then started SCOM service, approved the agent. Still the service is not discovered by SCOM. Any thoughts? It seems like a basic problem to troubleshoot!
June 17th, 2015 8:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics