Windows Service getting time out
Hi All, I am facing a problem to start service on Win2k3 +SP1 Server. Scenario is as below. Consider I have two services, one is able to start using local account. When i try to start the other service, it throws time out error saying that no response receive on timely fashion. Points to be noted; 1- The error come without waiting for 30 secs. 2- If I user some other id by modifying LogOn tab, still the same error is hit. The user is in administrator group. 3- I did sc sdshow, and for both services, security settings are same. 4- Using console, I can start the program which service is trying to start. Limitations; 1- Its a production box and SP2 upgrade is currently out of question 2- The id that should be starting the service will not be part of administrator group. I am already checking with vendor but he is saying it is OS level problem. I am seeking some help on this. I am not sure it is because of group policy or security. Some more, we have tested the software in testing environment, Win2k3 +SP2, and there were no problems Thank you
July 27th, 2010 4:09am

Hello, if it works with SP2 , then you have your solution. Upgrade to it. To start a service make sure the used account has at least "logon as a service" user right assigment set via GPO on that server. Maybe you have to verify with process monitor during start where errors or access denied is shown, so you can adjust permissions only for that account.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2010 9:24am

Hi Weber, Thank you for your reply. Actually we already suggested that, but the box are running alot of third party applications and we need to check with all the vendors before we upgrade the box. So, currently SP2 upgrade is not possible. ID have right to logon as a service. Silly question but where i can find the process monitor?
July 28th, 2010 5:15am

Hi Hashim, I know windbg could monitor and debug running application and create dump file for further investigation . You may like to get luck from MSDN forum. and in windows system i always using process monitor and process dump , utility of sysinternel. Sysinternals Process Utilities http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533.aspx debugging tools for windows http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx# Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2010 9:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics