Windows Service Monitoring

Hello All, 

I have implemented a Windows Service Monitoring to look after some custom windows services on a Windows Server with a 3rd party piece of software installed. The monitor has been working as expected and has kept an eye on the services and alerted when they have stopped.

However, the support team are now reporting that they are alerted when the service stops and starts. And they receive the same alert regardless, stating that the service has been stopped. 

Is there something I am missing from my configuration? How can I amend it so that the support team are only alerted when the service is stopped? And why would it alert when its started?

Hope someone can help

James

January 10th, 2014 3:28pm

James,

It might be how you have it configured. Check out steps 11 and 12 on this link:

http://www.opsconfig.com/?tag=scom-2012-service-monitoring

I know other monitoring tools, like ScienceLogic, offer something similar in that you can automatically close events based on a trigger for a "healthy" state. 

Cheers!

Chris

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2014 9:48pm

This actually sounds like a notification issue.  Do they have notifications set up to send them emails when an alert goes from one state to the next?  What I mean by that is, New Alert, Closed Alert.  When setting up notifications, it's a common mistake to not include the alert criteria, which will cause behavior like this, ops teams getting several emails when the state of the alert is changed by the system or operator.  If you look at the alert details in the email, you may notice, a slight difference in the resolution state field, if that is displayed.

If this is the issue, find the notification subscription and have it changed so that they only receive alerts with a resolution state of NEW.

January 10th, 2014 9:50pm

Default thresholds of the "windows service monitoring" template are to check every 30 seconds and alert after 2 checks - in other words, alert after service is down WITHIN seconds. Sometimes it may take more than 60 seconds for a service to restart. There is no way to configure these thresholds if you created the monitor with the "windows service monitoring" template.

Here is a monitor type solution in which you can configure each of those thresholds.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 11th, 2014 9:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics