Windows Service Monitor

I have created a basic Windows Service Monitor, and directed it to the Windows Computer group. It is reporting a failure on systems where the service isn't even installed. Isn't it smart enough to know on which computers it's installed? Or do I need to create a new class/discovery and direct the monitor to there? Or, is it easier to just use the template (I prefer not).

Thanks,

RS

October 27th, 2013 8:22am

Hi,

When you create a monitor and specify the Windows Computer group as a target it well indeed expect the service on all the windows computers. When you need to target a specific set off computers you can create a group for this and tagret to this group.

Otherwise, when you create the monitor there is a checkbox at the bottom off the general page where you need to disable the monitor. Default it will be enabled. Now complete the configuration for the monitor. When this is done look up the monitor again and create an override where you enable the monitor for a specific computer.

Hope this helps,

Regards Marthijn van Rheenen
Blog:
Heading To The Clouds

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 27th, 2013 9:48am

hi 

Create a class with registry base discovery, the discovery need to look for service registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ path, so that you can discovery only service installed computers.target the service monitor to class.

Note : never target any monitor/rule for a group, as group runs only on management server not on agent.

workaround: you can create a monitor targetting to windows computer class, ensure you monitor is disabled while creation  and create an override to enable for set of server i.e. group.

Regards

October 27th, 2013 11:54pm

I prefer to use Management Pack Template, you prefer not, to create service monitor which just monitor installed service server health. In the other way is to use discovery to monitor installed service server health. For detail, pls. refer to
http://opsmgradmin.blogspot.hk/2011/05/scom-monitor-custom-services-on-windows.html
Roger 
  • Marked as answer by Reuvy 22 minutes ago
October 28th, 2013 4:06am

I preferred not to use the Management Pack Template since searching afterwards for the monitors is much more difficult, since I now need to know the target name, instead of for example just searching for a specific target and then getting all my custom service monitors. I know I can filter by MP but it is still much more annoying.

In the end though, for now I did use the template solution, but I want to migrate to the Class solution in the future, possibly after I upgrade to R2.

Thanks guys!

• Edited by Reuvy 21 minutes ago
October 28th, 2013 6:17am

I prefer to use Management Pack Template, you prefer not, to create service monitor which just monitor installed service server health. In the other way is to use discovery to monitor installed service server health. For detail, pls. refer to
http://opsmgradmin.blogspot.hk/2011/05/scom-monitor-custom-services-on-windows.html
Roger 
  • Marked as answer by Reuvy Monday, October 28, 2013 10:13 AM
October 28th, 2013 11:01am

Roger 
  • Marked as answer by Reuvy Monday, October 28, 2013 10:13 AM
October 28th, 2013 11:01am

I preferred not to use the Management Pack Template since searching afterwards for the monitors is much more difficult, since I now need to know the target name, instead of for example just searching for a specific target and then getting all my custom service monitors. I know I can filter by MP but it is still much more annoying.

In the end though, for now I did use the template solution, but I want to migrate to the Class solution in the future, possibly after I upgrade to R2.

Thanks guys!

• Edited by Reuvy Monday, October 28, 2013 10:13 AM
October 28th, 2013 1:12pm

Thanks guys!

• Edited by Reuvy Monday, October 28, 2013 10:13 AM
October 28th, 2013 1:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics