Windows Server virtualisation rights and license

Good Evening,

I would like to ask if I understood the license and rights correctly:

Windows 2012 R2 Essentials edition - I can run one instance in either physical or virtual environment but not both at one time (using one key)

Windows 2012 R2 Standard - I can run one instance on physcial server and two in virtual at the same time

Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter - I can run one instance on physical and unlimited in virtual at the same time (according to the processor limit for each license)

To clarify:

I would like to install two servers (as virtual instances) on one physical server. I was wondering if I can use one Widnows Server Standrad license for all three, or it would be better to use Windows Hyper-V Server as a Hypervisor and install two virtual servers (one license for both) on the top of it

• Edited by Aravil1 Friday, August 21, 2015 12:35 AM
August 20th, 2015 11:34pm

Hi,

If you wants to use the physical instance Only for manage the two VMs than is enough to purchase one Standard license.

on the microsoft document, we have the following:

"for Windows Server 2012 R2 standard Edition, you may run the server software in one physical OSE and in up to two virtual OSEs for each license you assign. If you run all of the permitted instances the instance in the physical OSE can only be used to manage the virtual OSEs."

thanks

diramoh

• Marked as answer by Aravil1 8 hours 16 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 5:23am

Hi

You can check here official ms document about Windows server 2012 r2 licencing

http://www.google.com.tr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjABahUKEwiYwpnyw7nHAhXGtRQKHfP8B2M&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2FF%2F3%2F9%2FF39124F7-0177-463C-8A08-582463F96C9D%2FWindows_Server_2012_R2_Licensing_Datasheet.pdf&ei=0sLWVZiRNsbrUvP5n5gG&usg=AFQjCNEAhEHwXJah_j40eMXLN7hKq6CJAw

You could install Windows Server 2012 r2 Standard on a physical server,then configure 2 vm on this host with hyper-v role.(with licenced)

• Marked as answer by Aravil1 8 hours 16 minutes ago
August 21st, 2015 6:23am

Okay, thank you
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 6:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics