Windows Server Services
Hi, I need some clarification about Office Source Engine Service. I have some servers "Windows 2003 & 2008 R2". I installed office package and sql server 2005 in one server and sql server 2005 and visual studio in another server. In both server office source engine service is installed. Due to some security policy I need to disable the service. Now I want to know which application is using this service. What is the link between sql server and office source engine service. Why we need office source engine for sql server. What is the link between office source engine service with ms office pack, sql server and visual studio.Krishnaramanan S
February 14th, 2012 5:48am

AFAIK, Office source engine service is used to get MS Office Updates. If you disable the service, Microsoft Office updates do not install when you use WSUS or the Microsoft Update Web site to deploy updates and hotfixes on the servers. I don't think, there is any co-relation between OSE service, sql server and visual studio. Please remember to click "Vote As Helpful" on the post if the information is useful to you ! Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you to fix the issues, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 14th, 2012 6:46am

Hi, Office Source Engine saves installation files used for updates and repairs and is required for the downloading of Setup updates and Watson error reports. According to the problem description, this issue is related to Microsoft SQL Server and Visual Studio. For this issue, the best resources are SQL Server and Visual Studio forums. Based on the current situation, youd better submit a new question to SQL Server and Visual Studio forums for further assistance. In this way, your issue can be resolved effectively. Thanks for your understanding! Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 14th, 2012 9:55am

Hi Santosh, If there is no link between Office Source Engine Service and SQL and Visual Studio means why OSE service appear after sql, vs installation. And we are not updates any patch, hotfix and even we didn't updates through WSUS.Krishnaramanan S
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2012 8:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics