Windows Server Backup error on DELL PE R200
Windows Server 2008 x64 When trying to run "Windows Server Backup" it always fails. It says: "A volume shadow copy service operation failed" and "The backup of the volume was stopped before the backup started running" I have updated the SAS 6/ir driver and also updated the SAS 6/ir firmware to the latest versions on the dell support drivers download pages. All 3 partitions are created on the local hard drive. The hard drive is 146gb SAS 15k HD, in RAID 1 using SAS/6ir as the controller. The E drive works perfectly by itself. The error only occurs when I run the Windows Server 2008 x64 "Windows Server Backup" program. I have tested Windows Server 2008 in a virtual environment configured similarly with the R200 server and the "Windows Server Backup" program works correctly in a virtual environment however not on my production server.
May 7th, 2008 3:29pm

Are you running MSDE on your server? Having tried the Windows Backup it works without MSDE on it, but with MSDE it's the sqlwriter that throws the error. If you stopthe SQL Server Service your backup will most probably work. Also check in Server Manager - Storage if Shadow Copies are enabled on your disks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 7th, 2008 4:40pm

Your right. I stopped MSSQLSERVER and the backup worked. I can't stop the MSSQL service though when I want to perform a back up. How do I get this working?? Is there an update or workaround??
May 7th, 2008 6:56pm

Hello Antrouli, May I know which version of SQL you are using? SQL Server 2005 or previous versions? Would you please also take a look at the Event Viewer, see if any error related to VSS or SQLWRITER exists under the Application node? If you have found any errors, please refer to the following articles and see if they can help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919023 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833167#14 Besides, as this issue relates to SQL Server, I would like to suggest that you post this issue in our SQL Server forum so that other members who regularly read the forum can share their information with you: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=19&SiteID=1 Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Best regards, Chang Yin
May 9th, 2008 2:28pm

I am having the same issue with 2008 Server and SQL Server 2005 sp2. Key to the issue is the "Access is denied" for SQL Writer. When it connects to SQL server for the backup, it connects as a client. Even though my SQL server instance has the SYSTEM account as a system administrator, it seems to fail the security audit. Work-around: I temporarily changed the accountused to start theSQLWriter Service to the Active Directory Administrator account (this is a test box). This worked, and I was able to create the backup with no errors. So it's a security problem. Just need to find out how/where it is failing and why the SYSTEM account, running the SQLWriter Service, was unable to log in to the SQL Server instance. Hope this helps, at least temporarily. Let me know if you find out anything more.
May 9th, 2008 11:36pm

I got my backups working by running"net stop sqlwriter" before the back up and "net sart sqlwriter" after the backup completed.I just scheduled this in task manager. The database still works when sqlwriter is stopped.
May 10th, 2008 4:55am

Thank you very much for responding. This seems to have worked for us as well.
May 11th, 2008 6:33am

I am having this exact same problem, however, I don't have SQL installed on my server. It is a Hyper-V server, Any suggestions?
August 25th, 2009 7:34am

I am having this exact same problem, however, I don't have SQL installed on my server. It is a Hyper-V server, Any suggestions? same problem here with a Hyper-V server running.
August 28th, 2009 7:39am

I am having this exact same problem, however, I don't have SQL installed on my server. It is a Hyper-V server, Any suggestions? Have youregisterred the Microsoft Hyper-V VSS writer with Windows Server Backup.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958662
September 21st, 2009 8:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics