Windows Server Backup - overwrite external disks?
UsingWindows Server 2008 for the first time, and I'm trying to get familiar with the backup software.Trying toperform nightly full serverbackups onto 2 rotating external hard disks. I've created my nightly backup job, set it up to perform full backups, then went back and added the second external drive to the list of target disks (that took some time to figure out).My question is on the # of jobs stored on the drives. Windows Server Backup seems to be appending jobs to the disk rather than overwriting any existing jobs. I don't see an overwrite option anywhere. Is Windows Server 2008 smart enough to delete old backup jobs as needed to free up space on the external disks?Thanks!
November 18th, 2008 1:37pm

Anyone?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 19th, 2008 6:11am

Hi Kremlar, Windows Server Backup will automatically delete the old version backup when the disk space is used up. The old backup version will keep growing until all free disk space is used up, afterwards Windows Server Backup will automatically delete the old version backup to make space for newer ones. Hope it helps.David Shen - MSFT
November 19th, 2008 12:16pm

Thanks for the help!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 19th, 2008 2:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics