Windows Server 2012 r2 - Remote audio not always comming through to client

We have a Windows Server 2012R2 server running on VMware vSphere 5.5. When connecting with a RDP client, the audio redirect is established each time (playback & recording), but remote audio doesn't always play and recording isn't registered. It works like 3 out of 10 times a user logs in, user independent.

Sometimes when the user logs in it works, but most of the time it doesn't. When it works, the audio bar in the "playback devices" window lights up like it should. This is not the case when it's not working, it does display the remote audio device but the audio bar remains faded when sound is playing.

So its like the audio is playing, but not on the "remote audio" devices, even though it is the only one listed in the session.

• Desktop experience feature enabled
  • Windows Audio & Endpoint Builder services are set to automatic
  • Enabled local policies: Audio & video redirection, Recording redirection, Playback quality - high
  • RDP client config: audioqualitymode:i:1
  • USB headset both Logitech and Plantronics
  • Client independent: HP Thinclient (win8.1), and two Fujitsu desktop (win7) - fully up-to-date
  • RDP client file version 6.3.9600.16415

How can i troubleshoot this any further?

March 23rd, 2015 4:12pm

Hi,

Does this happens with single user or all users?
For a try please create new user account with no other permission assigned and check result. Also try to login with different system. Check whether when user remote desktop to server, he has selected the option of Play on Remote Computer and selected the required Local device and resources properly. 

Hope it helps!

Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 1:36am

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

It's not user specific, it happens to all users, and we also tested on multiple types of client devices. Like i stated in my post.

All settings on the remote desktop clients are correct. We use saved .rdp files to connect so settings are the same each time...

We see the remote audio device in the users RDP session. When the issue occurs and we right click on the remote audio to use the Test feature, no audio is visible on the volume bar on the side + we hear nothing on the client.

I just tested again and it worked fine 3 times in a row, the fourth time I tested it didn't. Doesn't matter if I sign out or disconnect from the session.

Is there a way of advanced logging on the server side to see what is happening with the remote audio redirect feature of Windows Server 2012r2?

March 25th, 2015 5:06pm

Hi,

You can check the below log if you can find some useful information.
Microsoft>Windows>TerminalServices-ServerUSBDevices

Whether there is any log for enabled or disabled USB device occurs. 

Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2015 11:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics