Windows Server 2012 UNC Path using Alias (CNAME) on local server prompt for credentials

I have a server upgraded from Windows 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012.

I need to access the share on a server locally with an alias (CNAME). \\alias.domain.name\localshare

The DFS still work but not with the alias.

It was working before the upgrade.

There are fixes for 2003/2000 but it is not working for Win2012.

Ex: Connecting to SMB share on a Windows 2000-based computer or a Windows Server 2003-based computer may not work with an alias name http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281308?wa=wsignin1.0

Any idea how to fix this for Windows Server 2012?

January 5th, 2013 4:22pm

Hi,

Have you try to access it with FQDN? Does it work? Please also verify the currently logon user have proper right to access the Share folder.

Best Regards,
Aiden

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2013 6:21am

Hello,

FQDN/Netbios/DFS it all works when I acces the share remotely. No prompt for credentials.

Locally on the server where the share is, logged in as administrator (or a domain admins user) I am prompt for credentials if I use the CNAME (alias) of the server. If I use the server name/FQDN/DFS it all works.

It may be something with SMB 3 being more strict. On win2k3/Win2008 aplying the regkey DisableStrictNameChecking worked.

Quote from the fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281308?wa=wsignin1.0

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

1. Locate and click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
  2. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:    Value name: DisableStrictNameChecking
       Data type:  REG_DWORD
       Radix:      Decimal
       Value:      1
January 7th, 2013 9:56pm

Workaround:

1. Open regedit.exe

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa

3. Create REG_DWORD with name DisableLoopbackCheck and value 1

4. Now you can test it :)

• Marked as answer by RenaudLevesque Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:53 PM
January 23rd, 2013 11:01am

Thanks. It works.

January 23rd, 2013 1:55pm

use the following command to add a registry key on the print server that is running Windows 2008 Server R2 and that is being accessed by an alias (CNAME) resource record:
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print /v DnsOnWire /t REG_DWORD /d 1
  This is because :: When the operating system loads, the Print Spooler service loads the local name of the computer and the other local names that are in the DNS cache. The Print Spooler service uses the local names to service requests. Therefore, the service must gain access to the network and then query for names such as an alias (CNAME) resource record. This behavior decreases the performance of the service.
  • Proposed as answer by Arup Pradhan 13 hours 53 minutes ago
June 26th, 2015 1:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics