Windows Server 2012 R2 RDP sessions with 480x640 desktop size

Hi,

Many handheld devices has a 480x640 screen and are used as RDP clients with full screen sessions

In this resolution the client can interact correctly with the start screen and some of the menus and charms, but when launching applications (modern UI or desktop) the screen just goes blue. Any attempt to interact will display the start screen again, except for right click which does nothing. The issue can be reproduced from any RDP client e.g.: the native client on Win8.1 with mstsc /w 480 /h 640

Any ideas on how to get a functional 480x640 RDP session to Windows Server 2012 R2?

Jrgen Frederiksen

September 9th, 2014 2:01pm

Do you see errors in the server event log when this happens?

Can you download Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Then log on to the server at 480 x 640.

Then start Procmon and click Filter in the menu bar at the top.  Click the arrow to the right of the box under Display entries... at the top and Select "User" from the list.  Then in the box after "is" click the down arrow and select the user ID that is logged on at 640 bt 480.  Then start an app that causes the blank blue screen and scroll to the bottom of procmon and try to determine what is causing the blank blue scree.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2014 3:13am

Hi Jrgen,

Could you tell me the detailed information of this application?

Is it a third-party application? Display issues may occur if the application doesn't spport the resolution.

I have tried the resolution on my lab server. Here is the screenshot of my lab server,

Best Regards.

September 10th, 2014 7:38am

Jrgen; (or someone else)

Have you managed to solve this problem? We got the exact same. When logging on to the server it shows a blue, blank screen. However, if we uncheck the "fit Remote desktop to screen" under "Options" on the handheld, the desktop is showing up.  But we cannot have this unchecked because of the software we are using after logging on..  If we uncheck  this option, log on, start the software, disconnect, check the option again and log on again, it Works...  But that is not a very user friendly solution..

Morten Rolstad

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 5th, 2014 10:01am

We have the same problem on a windows mobil device. 480x640, the resolution is the problem. You can try to make a connection with a simple rdpclient on windows 8. Save the config and change resolution setting with an editor. If you choose 480x640, you will get a simple blue screen after logon in a Win2012R2 Enviroment. In a 2008R2 Enviroment, no problems!

It looks like a Win2012R2 Bug. Is there a hotfix available?

April 15th, 2015 2:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics