Windows Server 2012 R2 / Windows 7 Professional - Hosted BranchCache

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I have tried to go through the various documentation on how to setup BranchCache, and have tried to set it up in our office on a test environment but cannot for the life of me figure why it is not working (at least from what I see). It really has to be something trivial (I hope). I am trying to get BranchCache working on Windows Server 2012 R2 & Windows 7 Professional.

The test environment is as follows:

Windows Server 2012 R2 - DC01 (Domain Controller)
Windows Server 2012 R2 - CONTENT01 (Content Server)
Windows Server 2012 R2 - HOST01 (Hosted Cache Server)

Windows 7 Professional - Win701 (Content Server)

Both of the Servers and the Windows 7 Professional are in the same domain.

CONTENT01 has the following installed/configured:

Only File Server and BranchCache for Network Files installed (not AD Roles or Features)

Enabled and configured Hash Publication for BranchCache in GPedit.msc under Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Network / Lanman Server. The "Allow hash publication only for shared folders on which BranchCache is enabled" set.

Also "Turn On BranchCache", "Enable Automatic Hosted Cache Discovery by Service Connection Point" and Configure "BranchCache for network files" are all enabled.

A Shared folder "Shared" was created with and the Offline Settings checkbox ticked, and the Enable BranchCache checkbox also ticked.

write.exe was copied to the "Shared" folder.

DC01 has the Default Domain Policy with firewall inbound rules enabled for the BranchCache Content Retrieval (Uses HTTP), BranchCache Peer Discovery (Uses WSD).

Created a new OU - BranchCacheHost where HOST01 is placed into, and this has "Block Inheritance" applied to it.

HOST01 has File Server and BranchCache for Network Files installed as well as the BranchCache feature installed.

From a PowerShell window (run as Administrator), set the "Enable-BCHostedServer - RegisterSCP". After running the command "Get-BCStatus", it shows:

BranchCacheisEnabled : True
BranchCacheServiceStatus : Running
BranchCacheServiceStartType : Automatic

running the command "netsh branchcache show status" shows:

Service Mode = Hosted Cache Server
Client Authentication = Domain Authentication
Current Status = Running

On Win701 from a Command Prompt, ran "gpupdate /force", and then "netsh branchcache show status" is displays:

Service Mode = Local Caching (Set By Group Policy)
Current Status = Running

Carrying out a test

On CONTENT01 Perfmon is running with the BranchCache Counters set.

On Win701 I log on as a Domain User and run Perfmon with the BranchCache Counters set.

From a Windows Explorer, I connect to the folder "Shared" and can see the file write.exe, when I copy it to my desktop, the counters on both Win701 and CONTENT01 remain zero.

In some of the documentation I have followed, you can see the counters are showing traffic. I have tried to follow some of these guides but none of them have helped me this far.

Would rellay appreciate it if someone could point out where I am going wrong.

Thanks.

- Mak

September 13th, 2015 1:42pm

Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that the counters in Performance remain zero after copying a file from shared folder to local.

I recommend you to reference below link to check the configuration of performance counters(section - Verifying end-to-end deployment with performance counters and Calculating BranchCache efficiency with performance counters):
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637782(v=ws.10).aspx

If the problem persists, please provide related screenshots. You may upload picture to OneDrive(https://onedrive.live.com/), share it and paste the shared link to me.

I will try to reproduce it in my test environment, and confirm the situation.

Best Regards,
Eve Wang

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2015 2:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics