Windows Server 2012 Hangs After a While

Good day,

My server hangs after a while then I have to hard boot it. I get the error 'Online data retrieval occurs under all my roles. Once I reboot it then the error disappears.

Please help!!

Thanks,

Mao

January 26th, 2015 1:21pm

First of all, you would need to make sure that your server meets the hardware requirements to run Windows Server 2012 + the applications you use.

For Windows Server 2012 System Requirements, you can refer to that: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303418.aspx

You can also proceed like the following:

• Install available Windows Updates (To be tested first)
  • Install recent versions of your drivers, firmware and BIOS
  • Uninstall all unused programs
  • Run chkdsk /r /f and sfc /scannow
  • Do a clean boot

If this does not help then you can temporary disable security software in use and try again.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 26th, 2015 4:47pm

Hi,

Also please check Event log to see if there is any further information regarding this issue.

Here is a similar issue as yours. Please refer to OP's post to see if you can find any information in same place (clicking notifications at the top right of server manager).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b9701061-f347-4a6b-a5a1-7ab0dc0857d1/server-manager-under-manageability-online-data-retrieval-failures-occurred?forum=windowsserverpreview

With more information we may able to continue narrow down the cause. 

January 28th, 2015 5:52am

Good day,

Thanks for your replies, I check out url supplied and let you know.

Kind Regards,

Mao

January 28th, 2015 8:50am

Hi There,

Ok I ran the sfc/scannow and it completed and with no errors found. I read through the post thread. All my Windows 2012 std and std R2 servers (DCs and member) were clean installations. I have checked the registry and I don't find the KEY DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic on all servers.

One thing that I noticed  of my DC in the parent domain was that if I logged on with parentdomain\administrator it don't see the errors. But with childdomain\administrator then I see the errors. So on this DC could be the story on Enable-ServerManagagerStandardUserRemoting resolve? Also, how many users are you able to add as on the server? The server where we are having the reboot/hang problem we have 4 users which remote on to it. I hope this is not too confusing.

Let me know your view!

Thanks,

Mao

January 28th, 2015 10:27am

Hi,

Please perform "config the dump style" steps in following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263#method2

Check "auto restart" box and see if server will auto reboot.

After a reboot, check if any minidump files created.

You can upload most recent ones to an online drive and we can help check. 

February 3rd, 2015 5:09am

Hi There,

Ok the previous/default settings was set to automatic memory dump and I did not find any files call memory.dmp. I have it to %SystemRoot%\Minidump and will let you know.

Thanks,

Mao

February 3rd, 2015 6:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics