Windows Server 2012 Essentials and Virtualization
  I have 11 computers with 6 computers located on network where server is located and 3 computers located at 2nd store and 2 laptops in the field. I am trying to find the best way to get all the computers connected to our business file(QuickBooks) and other programs located on the server. Remote Desktop takes up our desktops that are being used by other employees. The more reading I do on this subject the more confused I get. Is Virtualization an option? Can anyone please lead me in the right direction.
February 15th, 2015 5:30pm

Hi,

-->I am trying to find the best way to get all the computers connected to our business file(QuickBooks) and other programs located on the server.

Based on your description, I understand that you want to access programs remotely. Please refer to following article and check if can help you.

RemoteApp with Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

-->Remote Desktop takes up our desktops that are being used by other employees.

Windows server 2012 provides two RD sessions are permitted in Administration mode. The Remote Desktop Session Host feature cannot be installed on Windows Server 2012 Essentials. If you want more connections, you need to set up a separate Windows Server 2012 server as a RD server. For more details, please refer to following article.

Can I install RDS on Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2015 6:53am

Virtualization will not help anything.  Anywhere Access in Essentials is what you want to look at.  It will configure a VPN so the PC's not at the home office will think they are at the home office.  It works, but I find VPN to be very slow but I have slow DSL.
February 19th, 2015 9:10pm

Hi Zimman2004,

I noticed that you had unproposed Grey's reply as answer. Would you please let us know current situation of this issue? If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 9th, 2015 1:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics