Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 - Windows Server Essentials Connector Wizard fails - server not available

When attempting to run the Windows Server Essentials Connector Configuration Wizard, I am able to go thru the first few screens:

1. Server is auto detected and I can select it on from the list (only 1 server present and found)

2. Wizard connects and asks for user name and password.  I have tried to different accounts on the server (first is an admin account which it gives me a warning and I say yes I want to use the admin account, second is non-admin account).

3. Wizard fails with error message "the server is not available. Try connecting this computer again...." (see image)  Server can be reached by IP address and name at this point, so it is available.

I am trying to connect from a computer that was connected to a WHS V.1 server.  WHS V.1 connector software was uninstalled thru control panel, and then Serever 2012 connector was installed.

In step 1 have have tried connecting by selecting the server name that is found, and also by typing the server address. Fails at same point no matter which I use.+

October 21st, 2013 6:01pm

You might be experiencing the same issue I was. When I upgraded to Windows 8.1 I did not uninstall my connector, yet the connector software was unavailable in remove programs. I posted here and was told to look in Programs and Features > View Installed Updates. From there I searched for a Server Connector update. I found one, clicked on it and the connector was completely uninstalled. I did reboot the server, but I don't know if that was needed. I was then able to get past the screenshot you mentioned.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 21st, 2013 6:50pm

Just tried that, removed Server Connector update from Installed Updates, and re-installed the connector software and it did not fix the problem, still cannot connect to the server.
October 21st, 2013 7:11pm

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am having the same issue.
February 9th, 2014 5:18pm

My response worked for me, but it didn't seem to help daneb1. Sorry. I'm not any more help.
  • Proposed as answer by SDail Friday, February 14, 2014 10:39 PM
February 9th, 2014 8:42pm

My response worked for me, but it didn't seem to help daneb1. Sorry. I'm not any more help.

No, I have never been able to resolve this issue.  At some point will do a clean install and go from there.
February 12th, 2014 4:28pm

Worked for me! I had connected my laptop to Server 2012 Essentials and then "upgraded" the server to Server 2012 R2 (with Essentials role.) I removed the laptop from the old domain and uninstalled the connector software but kept getting the above error until I removed the update as you described.

Thanks!

February 14th, 2014 10:41pm

I'm experiencing the same problem, only there is no "Server Connector" update to uninstall.
July 28th, 2015 1:10am

Please check this KB

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2828269

July 28th, 2015 1:21am

I am having this same issue on two different servers I manage. I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps Microsoft provides and everything posted on this thread with no luck. I have tried to connect machines using both Windows 7 and 8.1 with the same result. I'm wondering if a bad update broke functionality? I can't even manually join computers to the domains through System Properties, it fails saying it can't find the domain.
July 29th, 2015 12:53am

Set dns on the client to the ip of the server
August 1st, 2015 7:00pm

Please check the clientdeploy logs
August 4th, 2015 1:52am

Have this same problem: Wizard fails with error message "the server is not available".

I've tried everything, anyone who had this problem had any luck fixing it??

Server WSE 2012 R2, client Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from Win 7 Pro.

August 6th, 2015 6:49pm

for win 10 you need a new connector and set dns on the client to point to the server

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2015/07/23/client-connector-availability-with-windows-home-server-small-business-server-and-windows-server-essentials-for-supported-client-os.aspx

The Client Connector for Windows 10 to connect to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials has been released. 

For x64 bit Windows 10 Client download it from here.

For x86 bit Windows 10 Client download it form here.

August 6th, 2015 8:16pm

Thank you for the reply, I have tried installing that new x64 Windows client connector.

I have not tried setting my DNS to the server's IP. This may be the step I'm missing.  Does that link describe this, I'm missing that part.

So to be clear, I would manually change my client's DNS Server address - to "Use the following DNS Server Addresses" - "Prefered DNS" to the local, non-routable server's IP, in my case 192.168.0.100. What do I do about the Alternate DNS Server address?

Will it be OK to leave the client's DHCP assigned IP address as is??

Thank you!

August 8th, 2015 3:13am

No you change the client (the one that can't find the server) dns to point to the server.  The connector install will actually do this for you, but if it never runs, it does not get there.

And just to be sure cause I missed it, when you download/install the win 10 connector, you now have a new app connect to the server.  You do not install that then go server/connect like some of the beta versions of the connector

August 8th, 2015 7:26am

Thank you Grey, I really appreciate the help. Here is what I was doing and what happened, the step I'm not doing was resetting the client's (the one that cannot connect to the server) DNS to point to the static IP of my server.

I run the connector (usually as admin).

My Server is auto detected and I can select it on from the list (only 1 server present and found)

The wizard connects to my server, then asks for client's user name and password. 

Cursor changes to whirling blue circle for about 5+ minutes.

Then I get error message "the server is not available. Try connecting this computer again...." (jujst like SS above in the OP) 

I'm heading to my office later this morning, I'll circle back and let you (and anyone else googling this same problem) with my results. 

Thank you again!  I'm a full time business owner only part time IT Director!  ;-)

August 8th, 2015 8:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics