Windows Server 2012 Essentials - Windows Server Health Service

Hope anyone can help. The windows server health service has stopped running and cant be started again, as soon as I start the service it stops straight away. This affects the dashboard now all clients show offline. Nothing in event log it only shows its was terminated. Any ideas or has anyone got same problem?

THanks,

Daniel

August 19th, 2014 9:01pm

Hi:

Sorry to say I don't have an answer for you.  Are you sure there are not other errors in the event viewer that will help diagnose?  When you try to start the service manually do you see any messages?  Are there any other services marked automatic that are not started?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2014 1:08am

I am having the exact same issue.  It started sometime over the past week or two (I think) after an update was installed.

When I try to start the service manually I get "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly".

When I go into Event Viewer the errors (under Windows Server\Admin) from each attempted start start with:

The 'Windows Server Health Service' service (HealthAlertsSvc) failed while starting.

Additional error information: Unhandled exception in OnStart: System.ArgumentNullException: The empty string '' is not a valid local name.
Parameter name: name

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I cannot figure out what's going on, and nothing has been installed or changed on the server in recent memory.  I've got no alerts or server and client health/status monitoring avaialble as a result.

Thanks!

Jay

August 20th, 2014 2:14am

This is the exact same issue I have. No updates were installed service just randomly stopped running and can't manually start it. Same result in dashboard as well no clients are showing online. I have 9 updates pending at the moment I will try installing them later and see if that fixes it. Otherwise no idea.
August 20th, 2014 3:08am

Every other service is running. The strange thing is the automatic client backups are running too but I can't manually run them since the dashboard shows the client as offline.
August 20th, 2014 3:14am

I'm in the exact same boat, it seems.
August 20th, 2014 3:19am

It started yesterday morning for me. Really hope the updates will fix it once I install them. Do you have pending updates?
August 20th, 2014 3:27am

I have none.  I'm fully up to date but the problem is continuing.
August 20th, 2014 3:31am

Is the OS in a vm or physical server? What type of server is it? Even thou I believe it's a software issue rather then hardware. Something must have gone corrupted.
August 20th, 2014 3:38am

Just installed all available updates and restarted server. Issue still persist.
August 20th, 2014 8:32am

Hi Daniel,

The windows server health service has stopped running and cant be started again, as soon as I start the service it stops straight away.

When you manually start the windows server health service, did you get any error message? If has error message, was it the same as Jay described (Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly)?

This affects the dashboard now all clients show offline.

Please logon a problematic client computer and check the LAUNCHPAD. Was it gray out? Meanwhile, please check if Backup via LAUNCHPAD successfully.

Please select a test client computer, uninstall Connector Software via Control Panel (Programs and Features-> View installed updates). Then connect this client computer to Windows Server 2012 Essentials again via Connector Software. Please check if this client computer still showed as Offline in Dashboard. This may help us to confirm if all client computers that show as Offline were caused by this failed health service.

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

August 20th, 2014 9:46am

For me it is a physical server.  I would agree this seems like a software issue, not hardware.  

I am running Server 2012 Essentials (not R2).  It is running on an HP Proliant N40L. Literally no problems up until now.

August 20th, 2014 6:44pm

I am seeing the same behavior as Daniel.  The server reports each client device as offline/sleeping even if it is awake.  That notwithstanding, each client is waking on schedule and backing up successfully each night and on schedule.

As best as I can observe the clients do not seem to be the problem, and are not having problems.  It is only the server.

Since the server is not receiving or communicating health alerts, by the way, each client computer is showing a green launchpad icon, and each computer is displaying only its own local alerts.  

The server shows no alerts (even those local to the server) and in fact returns the error "Unable to collect alerts" if, within the dashboard, you pop open the alert viewer and push the refresh button.

UPDATE:  After displaying the first error, you then get the following:

"Alert notices are not available in the Alert Viewer due to an error, or incomplete action, or a service has stopped working.  If the problem persists, contact the person who administers your server."

By the way, the dashboard alert area is greyed out on the server dashboard.

August 20th, 2014 7:05pm

I can report same issue as jaydaro. Same symptoms with dashboard, client backups etc...

Anyway, after some digging in event viewer this is what happens after I manualy start the Windows Server Health Service on the server. 

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          21/08/2014 8:18:01 a.m.
Event ID:      7036
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      CTT-WS12ES.cttravel.local
Description:
The Windows Server Health Service service entered the running state.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">7036</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-20T20:18:01.786095300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>142015</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="576" ThreadID="11948" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>CTT-WS12ES.cttravel.local</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Windows Server Health Service</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">running</Data>
    <Binary>4800650061006C007400680041006C0065007200740073005300760063002F0034000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          21/08/2014 8:18:02 a.m.
Event ID:      1026
Level:         Error
Description:
Application: SharedServiceHost.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.HealthAndDataCollectedReporter.ReportAlertToDeviceProvider(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.AlertInfo)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.HealthAndDataCollectedReporter.ReportInfoToDeviceProvider(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.AlertInfo>, System.Collections.Generic.IList`1<Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DeviceProperty>)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.HealthAndDataCollectedReporter.ReportHealthAndCollectedData(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.String>)
   at System.EventHandler`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Invoke(System.Object, System.__Canon)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.DevicesManagerFacade.HandleConnectionOpened(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderConnector`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.internal.ConnectorInternals.IConnectionSucceeded<T>.SetConnection(System.__Canon)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.internal.ConnectorInternals.AsyncConnector`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].DoConnectionAttempt(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-20T20:18:02.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>141334</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: SharedServiceHost.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.HealthAndDataCollectedReporter.ReportAlertToDeviceProvider(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.AlertInfo)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.HealthAndDataCollectedReporter.ReportInfoToDeviceProvider(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1&lt;Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.AlertInfo&gt;, System.Collections.Generic.IList`1&lt;Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DeviceProperty&gt;)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.HealthAndDataCollectedReporter.ReportHealthAndCollectedData(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1&lt;System.String&gt;)
   at System.EventHandler`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Invoke(System.Object, System.__Canon)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.Internal.DevicesManagerFacade.HandleConnectionOpened(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderConnector`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.internal.ConnectorInternals.IConnectionSucceeded&lt;T&gt;.SetConnection(System.__Canon)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.internal.ConnectorInternals.AsyncConnector`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].DoConnectionAttempt(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Description:
Faulting application name: SharedServiceHost.exe, version: 6.2.9805.0, time stamp: 0x504a9e6d
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000007f87c455657
Faulting process id: 0x2e48
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfbcb3d6bf0ede
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\SharedServiceHost.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 15508326-28a7-11e4-9421-74867ae3d60a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-20T20:18:02.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>141335</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>SharedServiceHost.exe</Data>
    <Data>6.2.9805.0</Data>
    <Data>504a9e6d</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>000007f87c455657</Data>
    <Data>2e48</Data>
    <Data>01cfbcb3d6bf0ede</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\SharedServiceHost.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>15508326-28a7-11e4-9421-74867ae3d60a</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Event ID:      7034
Description:
The Windows Server Health Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 3 time(s).
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-20T20:18:02.520552600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>142016</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="576" ThreadID="10144" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Windows Server Health Service</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">3</Data>
    <Binary>4800650061006C007400680041006C0065007200740073005300760063000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Perhaps someone can explain what's going on?

August 20th, 2014 9:07pm

Just wondering if you have made any progress?  Nothing on my end, unfortunately.
August 26th, 2014 1:16am

No I have not found a fix yet but I have noticed when manually restarting the service it actually starts successfully and then net.runtime forces it to terminate. So I strongly believe there must be an issue with the net.runtime. See the event log above. Anyway I will post as as soon as I find a fix. I hope someone in this forum could be involved as well, to solve the issue especially someone from Microsoft I don't think this should be overlooked by Microsoft.

Thanks,

Daniel

August 29th, 2014 11:58pm

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/57d6e64a-a727-4647-aed9-dbeb02a311aa/healthalertssvc-problem-net-exception-immediately-after-start?forum=winserveressentials

I believe we encounter the same issue as the link (comparing Event logs) I will try this fix in next few days. Perhaps you could try doing the same, not sure how many clients you have connected I have 20 it will take some time if you have less could you try and report back.

Cheers,

Daniel

August 30th, 2014 2:28am

Oh by the way I am also Sahne777 to exclude confusion.

Cheers,

Daniel (Sahne777)

August 30th, 2014 2:30am

I everyone. It is all fixed now. One of the computer was corrupted in AD after deleting and rejoining the computer the health service started again. Hope it helps other people.
September 26th, 2014 5:43am

Hi Daniel.  That's terrific news.  I'm not quite a savvy as you about this, I think.  Can you help flush out your solution?  How did you identify what was corrupted, and how did you delete and rejoin it?  Do you mean remove it as a device in the server counsel, and then reinstall the connector?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

October 3rd, 2014 12:48am

Hi jaydaro,

Could you please send me your event log to check if it is the same issue. I don't want to make the matter worse I need to compare your logs with mine. You can also give me your email and we can nut it out that way (it would be faster). I need the system and application log. 

October 3rd, 2014 3:43am

Please post the diagnosis and remediation steps for the benefit of all.
October 3rd, 2014 4:05am

Hi,

This problem usually happens because the license key has not been correctly deployed(license.txt file in the license folder).

Is there SQL is installed on the Remote system?

Symptom:
The "Windows Server Essentials Management Service" terminated unexpectedly

Cause:
Corruption in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\DevicesInfo.xml file

Resolution:
Replaced the file from DevicesInfo.xml.bak

was able to start the service successfully

October 3rd, 2014 4:34am

No SQL installed. I am not sure why it happened. In my case my client went on a Europe trip and when I had  a look at the laptop the time was changed. They have used the laptop to connect to the office. I assume because of VPN and Group Policy settings something got corrupted because of the time. After deleting the the device from AD and rejoin to the domain everything started working again. 

Cheers,
Daniel

October 4th, 2014 2:41am

Hi,

As per you now those clients are working fine after Re-Joining them to the Domain. 

That means this happen because of Domain / Forest trust.  To avoid this issue clients need to a fresh start up when they are connected with DC (With in LAN).

Please let me know if any other observation available.

October 4th, 2014 10:47am

Has anyone got this solved definitively. I am having the same problem and it is with a fresh install of Server 2012 R2 essentials before any clients where connected so it is now rendering my server useless because I can't configure my clients after they connect. I try to restart the service and it fails with error 1067. How do I remedy this?
November 23rd, 2014 7:35pm

I am still experiencing this, and nothing I do seems to help.  I disconnected all my clients to no avail, and I too am left with a "useless" server since they cannot now properly reconnect.  I have no idea what my next move is but would appreciate any help.
November 25th, 2014 5:39pm

Can you help us ( me and jaydaro) with this? we still have no solution and it is leaving our servers useless. Maybe get Microsoft to take a closer look at this.
November 25th, 2014 6:49pm

Could you please zip logs under %programdata%/microsoft/windows server/logs to Pan.Chen@microsoft.com? I will investiage to see whether I can help you.

December 1st, 2014 8:07am

Thank you for offering to do this.  I will send mine to you.
  • Proposed as answer by jaydaro Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:29 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by jaydaro Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:29 AM
December 8th, 2014 1:06am

I'm experiencing the same problem, using Windows Home Server 2011

Any news about the possible causes?

Thx,

Jan

December 31st, 2014 3:04pm

Actually yes.  With many thanks to Pan Chen we discovered yesterday a corruption in a file named CallbackCommandQueueStore.xml which can be found under %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows Server/Data.  For me the solution was simply to back up that file to a different location, delete it, and then reboot the server.  Doing that seems to have gotten everything back to tip top shape.

With many thanks to Pan and his colleague Junxiang I am very happy to be going into the new year with my server functioning just right.

Good luck to others -- I hope this solution works for you too!

With all best wishes for a happy new year

Jay

• Proposed as answer by jaydaro Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:45 PM
December 31st, 2014 3:45pm

Yes! Works for me, too.

Thanks Jay for sharing, and thanks Pan Chen and Junxiang.

A very happy 2015 to you all!

Jan

January 1st, 2015 8:11pm

And for me too! Thanks everyone and best wishes for 2015!
January 4th, 2015 6:43pm

Did the server recreate a new file of the same name? Deleted the file but it didn't replace it on restart. No change.
February 20th, 2015 5:48pm

Yes it did and the problem was solved!
February 21st, 2015 3:08pm

So for me it recreated the file (it's 0kb now) but still it doesn't work...
April 7th, 2015 9:58am

It was difficult, but I eventually found the file, CallbackCommandQueueStore.xml in WHS 2011, and deleting it worked a treat for me, too. Alerts are back to normal, and WHS now once again detects correctly when client computers are online and offline.

Thanks very much to the hard workers in this thread, especially Pan Chen

August 21st, 2015 6:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics