Windows Server 2012 Backup - blbmmc.dll - MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.

Hi

I have a bit of an odd problem with the backup console in Windows Server 2012 which someone may be able to help with.

The server in question is Windows Server 2012 Standard which is being used a Hyper-V host with two guests.  Windows backup is installed and configured to backup the host and the guests.  Some of the backups are completing successfully, others are completing with warnings.  When double clicking on the job in the Windows Backup console to get further details on the job, the successful backup results display without any problems.  However when double clicking against the backups that complete with warnings, the mmc crashes and the following is displayed:

blbmmc.dll - MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.

After clicking ok, the following is displayed:

FX:{811FD892-5EB4-4E73-A147-F1E079E36C4E}
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception type: System.NullReferenceException
Exception stack trace:

at Microsoft.SnapIns.Backup.UI.WindowsBackupNode.OnApplicationThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInMessagePumpProxy.Run()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInMessagePumpProxy.Run()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInThread.OnThreadStart()

I have tried running sfc /scannow which hasn't detected any problems.  Windows Backup has been uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.  I suspect that it may be a .net framework issue, so tried installing .net 3.5 through Server Manager but this hasn't helped either.  Does anyone have any ideas that may get this problem resolved?  Thanks in advance.

April 23rd, 2013 9:10am

Some of the backups are completing successfully, others are completing with warnings. 

The warning ones are random or related to a specific guest?

I saw the same error once when trying to connect to a Windows 2008 Server Core system from a Windows Server 2008 system, which is not a supported behaviour.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 25th, 2013 8:50am

Thanks for your reply.

I don't understand at the moment why some of the backups are completing successfully, whilst others are completing with warnings.  The issue I have is that the backups that complete with warnings, I am unable to look at the job detail as the Windows Backup mmc errors as above.  The Windows backup is only backing the local host and guest machines.

April 25th, 2013 10:59am

I'm experiencing a similar issue, however, NO backups are successful; any changes I attempt to make to the schedule, including stopping it, fail and present me with the same "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it". The backup system still keeps trying to make its backups, always fails, and I'm stuck in situation where I can't do anything about it. Any thoughts on this? Have you resolved your situation yet?

When stepping through the schedule modification, the error presents itself when I attempt to "keep current backup destinations" OR "modify backup storage destinations"; from there I cannot proceed and am presented with the error

Here is my stack trace:

at Microsoft.SnapIns.Backup.UI.WindowsBackupNode.OnApplicationThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.SnapIns.Backup.UI.Wizards.ScheduledBackup.ScheduledBackupWizard.ShowWizard()
   at Microsoft.SnapIns.Backup.UI.SnapIn.DashboardFormView.OnAction(Action action, AsyncStatus status)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.DoAction(Int32 actionId, Boolean selectionDependent, Int32 selectionId, IRequestStatus requestStatus)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.ProcessRequest(Request request)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ViewMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

I have also attempted sfc /scannow without success.

April 29th, 2013 12:29pm

Sorry for the delayed reply.  I am able to modify the backup schedule without the MMC crashing.  It only crashes when looking at the detail against a job which completed with warnings.  I have been able to work around the problem by getting the backup to complete successfully most of the time!  It is a bit of a pain though when the backup does complete with warnings, and the MMC crashes when looking at the job detail.  We have other Windows 2012 servers running the Hyper-V role and backing up the guests and haven't had this problem.  If anyone else has any suggestions on how to fix this issue, it would be appreciated.

May 13th, 2013 1:37pm

I was able to "fix" my error by removing the volume I had designated for backup. Once it was gone, MMC did not crash, and I was able to remove the scheduled backup and start over fresh again. A little aggravating, but my problem is solved -- I hope yours can be resolved soon
May 13th, 2013 1:42pm

Same problem...

HP ML350p Gen8 running Server 2012 full with Hyper-V role

Windows Backup crashes when clicking 'Completed with warnings'.

Clicking on 'Failed' or 'Successful' works fine.

June 3rd, 2013 11:40am

Same problem...

HP ML350p Gen8 running Server 2012 full with Hyper-V role

Windows Backup crashes when clicking 'Completed with warnings'.

Clicking on 'Failed' or 'Successful' works fine.

<See image of Unhandled Exception in Managed Code Snap-in in the post above.>

Same problem here.  There must be a solution to this by now, but I am not finding it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
October 14th, 2013 1:43pm

Same problem here. Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V enabled.
October 29th, 2013 6:14am

Hello!

Seems Windows Backup in Server 2012 is not as good as in previous versions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3f6d6e6f-25ba-4bf8-98f4-1cd2561ddc64/windows-backup-error-7031?forum=winserver8gen

October 29th, 2013 7:31am

Any one have any luck with this? I'm seeing same issue.
November 14th, 2013 9:52pm

Has anybody had any luck in resolving this issue yet?

I am experiencing the same issue (intermittently) when backing up our virtual host (Server 2012).

Any progress reports?

Thanks

January 3rd, 2014 11:49am

Same issue here! Nobody found a solution yet? All my Backups finish with a warning and when I try to open the backup report I get this Error. Server 2012 patched up to today.

Backup Warnning: Volume "D" was not backed up

All my VM's are on Volume D

mfg,

Benni

February 4th, 2014 3:48pm

Hi,

In my case this problem was caused by the program "apc powerchute Business". After deleting the this program from my Server the Backup run without any problem I can now also read my repot's.

mfg,

Benni

February 10th, 2014 3:38pm

Same Issue Here. Any Solution out there?
June 4th, 2014 7:41am

Yes, we're getting the error too when backing up a hyper V server.

July 17th, 2014 7:24am

Same error here, 2 WS2012 with Hyper-V.

Any solution from Microsoft?

October 3rd, 2014 2:41pm

Same error here, only happens to backups that completed with warnings
December 2nd, 2014 7:09pm

I have the same issue with getting this error when trying to view details of a backup with warnings.

I have no solution to this error. However, using event viewer -> Windows Logs\Applications and filter for Backup as the source will show you the logs without error.

In my case it was "The backup operation that started at '2015-01-05T05:00:12.529296500Z' has failed to back up volume(s) '\\?\Volume{06064a46-fb94-11e3-80be-40167e0cc874}\'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

I have reconfigured my backup schedule in hopes it fixes this error. Not sure what volume this is that is no longer available as I have it set to backup everything.

January 6th, 2015 5:24pm

Hi All,

This problem has come up for me as well. Uninstall/reinstall WSB doesn't work, delete/recreate backup job doesn't work, reintallation of .NET (all versions) doesn't work.

OS reinstall is not an option in my case, so can't try that.

Only occurs when trying to view details on failed jobs, or jobs with warnings... Successful jobs are fine.

This thread has been going since April 2013, and basically 2 years later there's still no resolution?

I had to make an account specifically for this post, and hope to get a fix soon!

Thanks

February 15th, 2015 1:14am

Ran SFC /Scannow

It found system file corruption and repaired it. Still getting the same crash as mentioned above.

What's odd is that there are no logs generated when the MMC fails, so there's no record of the issue.

FX:{811FD892-5EB4-4E73-A147-F1E079E36C4E}
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInMessagePumpProxy.Run()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInMessagePumpProxy.Run()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInThread.OnThreadStart()

March 6th, 2015 5:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics