Windows Server 2008 workgroup issue
We have a Windows Server 2008 machine on a workgroup. For some reason only the built-in admin account is able to access the shares on the server. I added a new admin account and it's not able to access the shares. We get the following error: "\\servername\c$ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions." any ideas? The user account I am connecting with is in the Administrators group. So I don't understand why Windows Server 2008 would restrict it.
April 5th, 2011 7:11pm

From Vista/Server 2008 on only "the" administrator account has admin privilege by default. Other accounts in the administrator group run without admin privilege and you need to raise it (eg by using "Runas") if required. For further details look at UAC in help. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 6th, 2011 2:22am

Hi Frank, Thanks for posting here. Please take look the KB article below, it should help you to achieve the goal: Error message when you try to access an administrative share on a Windows Vista-based computer from another Windows Vista-based computer that is a member of a workgroup: "Logon unsuccessful: Windows is unable to log you on" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947232 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 6th, 2011 9:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics