Windows Server 2008 r2 paging file size error
Hi, I am trying to use taskkill.exe to kill one schedule job file after completetion on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise but getting below error message. Description = The paging file is too small for this operation to complete. I am having 16 GB RAM on this box & sufficient free RAM are available. i was googling & found Hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314) Kindly let me know if someone else got the same problem & applied this Hotfix. do i need to install this HF to resolve this problem. Dhiraj
October 11th, 2010 11:00am

What is your current pagefile? Even with RAM available your system would still use the pagefile. Hotfix could fix this issue but I would look at the pagefile first.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 11th, 2010 11:27am

Thanks for your reply. Currently it's on default (16372 MB). Dhiraj
October 11th, 2010 11:30am

Unless your job uses WMI Win32_Service I'd say its not for you. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 11th, 2010 11:32am

What will you suggest example if i will schedule a batch file to kill Excel.exe from this server with Taskkill /F /IM excel.exe I feel no commands from WMI are running on thos box. all are giving the same error message. Dhiraj
October 11th, 2010 11:36am

Even if it is not WMI you can still update without any issues. http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonjor/archive/2008/12/29/wmi-errors-and-scvmm-if-it-s-not-broken-update-it.aspx When you look at the paging file what does MS recommend for the paging file size? I would allow OS to manage the pagefile see if this helps
October 11th, 2010 11:38am

I also saw this blog. but still need some more experts advice. OS is showing recommended Size is 24558 MB wherever default size is 16372 MB. i am suspecting it's not a page file size issue. Dhiraj
October 11th, 2010 11:43am

Could be a page file issue since you should allocate at least 1.5 times your physical memory. Seems like the error you are getting is related to the page file being to small or that the WMI is having issues so I would raise pagefile allocation then go with the hotfix if that doesn't work
October 11th, 2010 11:48am

No idea really. It also maps to 0x800705AF ERROR_COMMITMENT_LIMIT 1455L Can't find anything of use on it. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
October 11th, 2010 12:20pm

I am still not convinced if it could be a Page File size issue. Even i am getting same mesage while running any command with wmic. ie. wmic cpu get maxclockspeed. If it's a Page file size issue, it should give more error message with other activities also. Dhiraj
October 12th, 2010 12:36am

Now the problem has been resolved after installation of Hotfix 981314 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314) The actual problem was not with Paging File. Dhiraj
October 13th, 2010 4:47am

Never said 100% it was page file I thought it was the hotfix but you should always start with a smaller change that might affect the issue then you go with the hotfix
October 13th, 2010 4:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics