Windows Server 2008 network issue becoming server crash.
Ok here is a long but neccesary eplanation of what happened.I have a Core Hyper-V server running which i administrate from a Windows Server 2008 with the Hyper-v manager installed.One of my clients had an issue with their virtual machine and asked me to look at it.I connected through the hyper-v manager to the virtual machine and found that the installation on the virtual machine had died, and needed a re-install.I turned of the virtual machine.To make it easier to create a new machine for this client, I decided to connect to the Windows Hyper-V core installation and rename/delete the harddisk with the broken installation on it.Afterwhich i would use the hyper-v manager to create a new virtual machine with the same name.Unfortunately i did not get that far.When I tried to connect to the Windows Hyper-V core machine, Windows told me that it could not find this machine on the network.Strange as had just connected to it through Hyper-V manager.After a short think i remembered the "Network Discovery" option.Quickly opened the control panel->Network and sharing center and saw that the "Network Discovery" option was set to "custom". After selecting the "Turn on network discovery" radial button i pressed the apply button. To my surprise the "Network Discovery" option was still on "custom".After opening the explorer and checking my network, i only saw very few servers and client pc's.Upon checking my two network connections I found that one had only a "local only" connection. (Connection 1)So i corrected this by disabling (temporarily) the "local and internet" connection. (connection 2)The first connection immidiatly jumped to "local and internet" status and I enabled the second connection again and now both connections had the "local and internet" status.Ok so problem solved?No, unfortunately not.I tried connecting to the Hyper-V core server again and got the same message. "Windows cannot access \\servername. check the spelling..." etc etc etc.So i turned back to the Hyper-V manager.After opening the manager I tried to connect to a few random other virtual servers that are also all running on Hyper-V core server.This worked fine, except for one change. For some reason, it now started asking for my credentials, which it had obviously never done before. But after inputting the same credentials i was logon to the server with it did allow me access. So it would seem the network was still working fine.Then I went online to google for a solution. I found several references to the Workstation service that is suppost to be running ( and the server service and a few others)Upon checking i found these services were not running.When trying to start the services i got error messages like "error 2: The system cannot find the file specified" (server and workstation services for instance) or"Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start" (computer browser servce for instance)So i figured I'de reboot the system.Big mistake.after logging in with my domain admin user account i got the followingerror message (on almost everything i try to do): "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\dekstop location does not exist" and a black background as if the profile was not able to load. No icons on the desktop, the menu's strangely empty (file->new->empty) and hardly any functionality.So more googling followed.Somewhere i found the advice to turn of UAC. So I tried this.Some functionality returned (after rebooting again) and I had about half my icons on screen.When I logged onlocally, it logged on fine except that it now has the message that it could not startthe service: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. The UserProfile failed to load." Which I then can start manually.For some forgoten reason I enabled theUAC again and had to reboot the system.Itried to logon with my domain admin account again andfound that all my issues had disapeared, no more error messages, no more strange services not starting, nothing, and my two network connections have reverted back to "local only" and "local and internet"???Well almost nothing.Unfortunately I still cannot reach my Hyper-V core server and the services which i apearently need are still not starting.So i am now back to where i started, where i still need network access from this machine and seem to be unable to get this working.This has however worked fine up untill abouta week ago when i last check the Hyper-v manager. Last machine I created was on 29-10-09Somewhere between then and now it has gone weird. My last thoughts about this issue go towards windows updates. if that sence.I hope that someone can help out, is there something i'm missing?Kind regards.p.s. if you need more info please let me know.
November 11th, 2009 6:09pm

Hi there, I would first route your request to hyper-v to check if they have encountered this issue before, they will evaluate few checks and would be able to assist you . Please post your query under hyper-v forumhttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 12th, 2009 6:53am

Hi,Thanks for the reply.Would this not be a windows server 2008 issue instead of a hyper-v issue. As the actuall problem is occuring on the windows server 2008 machine.This is where i have the problem with the services and the connectivity.Kind Regards.Edit:Some extra information.I can reach the hyper-v server fine from any other server/pc on the network, so there is not the issue.It would seem that all domain information is unavailable on the windows server 2008. Therefor my FTP server is also not functioning anymore as it cannot determine if the user is correct.there are alot of services that do not start during startup as they should do and i can not start them manually.This raises a second question.Is there a way to do a check on the server installation to see if everything is still intact.As it does mention, when starting a service, that "a file is missing", perhaps I could do a repair of some kind, but i'm unwilling to just stick in the Windows server CD and hit repair as I do not want to loss any settings etc.kind regards
November 12th, 2009 12:47pm

Hi Diablo_rdk,As it's a server crashissue, wemay need to analyze the crash dump file to analysis the root cause of the issue. Please contact Microsoft Customer Service directly so that the memory dump file can be analyzed and this issue can be resolved efficiently. You may obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 8th, 2009 7:18am

Hi David,Thanks for the reply.Unfortunately it never actually crashed as sush. It got really weird there for a moment but it never crashed.And as I said it reverted back to its's previous state after, well everything mentioned in my first post.I still have the same issues, where it will not "discover" the network correctly and therefor will not authenticate usernames (as in the case of the FTP server)I am now reaching a point where i'm just going to re-install the entire server which will be easier and quicker then having to work around these issues and googling everyday.I tried a repair and it said there was an issue with my boot section which it would fix. 20 minutes later and still the same issues remain.I just don't understand anymore.If anyone has any briljant ideas, please let me know.Kind Regards
December 8th, 2009 12:02pm

Hi Diablo,Just to confirm - I have had similar issues as you have described.I have a 2008 terminal server on a SBS 2003 domain enviroment. Both on Dedicated G5HP servers (ML150 / ML350)Almost 3 months past after the initial installation without issueand all of a sudden theuser profile service & server service would crash everyday if not multipule times a day.A very poor workaround we found was the users never log off... Sad but kept theusers logged in and up and running.After contacting MS support and going round and round in circles and wasting more hours than I care to imagine - I ended up getting a refund as they couldnt solve the issue (or even suggest a hint as to what the problem may be)The day Igave up andstarted to rebuild their TS server as a 2003 server, I logged into theirmanagedswitch (just randomly)as I was waiting for driver downloads for 2003 only to find 1000's of bad TX packets on TS's port. I replaced the L3 switch, replaced the 2008 drives and got them backup and running (without a single change other than the switch) not a second downtime for over 4 months.. all problems resolved.The worst part is - yesterday the problems re-appeared. (user profile service / server service crashing)New switch isnt reporting bad packets and I have already tried upgrading to the latest MS updates - no fix, downgrading back to SP1 - no fix, and copying a defaultprofile from another 2008 server to this one - no fix, allpreviously suggested by MS tech support)I run in excess of 30 2008 servers (some on identical hardware) and not one of them *touch wood has experienced the same issues.Is there anyone else that can provide and further info as to what this may be?Thanks in advance.Phil
December 8th, 2009 1:22pm

Hi compuman1,Thanks for the reply.Although, it is a bit disheartening to hear that you had similar issues and MS was unable to solve it.I am indeed also on an SBS 2003 domain enviroment.I think I will migrate the company to an all 2008 domain enviroment next year. The SBS 2003 domain enviroment has given us so much issuesthe last 4 years.For now I think i will just re-install the 2008 server and be done with it. (at least for now)Kind regards.
December 8th, 2009 1:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics