Windows Server 2008 install over SBS 2003 fails
Is there a known problem with installing Windows Server 2008 on top of Small Business Server 2003? I put in the Product Key (Cut & Past from MSDN so I know it's right), then wait a few seconds and it comes back to the same 'Enter Product Key ' form (it never actually seems to leave it) with "Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted". Every time. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks David Gordon-Brown
November 27th, 2010 9:29am

Hi David, Have you tried to change the CD you are using for the installation ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 27th, 2010 10:16am

Hello, what exactly do you mean with "installing Windows Server 2008 on top of Small Business Server 2003"?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 27th, 2010 12:22pm

I'd boot from the installation media. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755116(WS.10).aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379511(WS.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 27th, 2010 3:45pm

I mean the the system currently runs SBS 2003 and I'm trying to upgrade it to Windows Server 2008.David Gordon-Brown
November 28th, 2010 8:41am

Hello, this is not possible, you have to reinstall. SBS is complete different from the regular OS versions and can't be upgraded that way.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 28th, 2010 8:54am

Thank you. That's what I needed to know. But no thanks to Microsoft. A slightly more explanatory error message than "Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted" have been Useful!David Gordon-Brown
November 28th, 2010 11:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics