Windows Server 2008 hangs at welcome screen
Hi, I have a windows server Ent Ed x64 installed with exchange 2007 Mailbox server role, the server randomly hangs at "Welcome" logon screen.The server is an HP BL460c with 2 x E5440 Proc, 8 GB RAM, 72GB x 2 in Raid 1 and a External Storage connected through HBA.The event viewer stops after an EventID 10:Event filter with query "select * from __instancemodificationevent within 30 where targetinstance isa 'Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk' and targetinstance.PercentFreeSpace < 1 and targetinstance.Name != '_Total'" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041002. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.after that entry the whole event log is clean until a reboot, and it doesn't alway hangs when this event id is logged, but the event id is always there when the server hangs.I have the exact same server hardware with the same Update, with the exchange 2007 HT and CAS role installed, but there was no problem at all with it.anyone knows why the BE server is randomly hanging ? I've been searching for weeks and the best I can find is a vista problem that is similar and another one having a similar problem but no solution as well.Thanks
March 13th, 2009 11:32am

hi there,your problem is pointing to the disk related issue. Please check if the HBa configuration is proper. The OS is performing query during startup which means even before the GINA.dll is loaded and shell getting initalized.please check if the issue is occuring in safe mode If not please do stop the suspicious startup services using msconfig tool .since when is the issue occuring ?what are the changes you have done ?detach the HBA / external storage and check if the issue occurs sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2009 1:16pm

Hi,Thx for the reply, The issue occured several months after the initial install, I don't remember exactly but I think it started more frequently after I Installed Update roll up 5 for exchange 2007 SP1, other than that the only changes were windows update. It'll be hard to test it in safe mode as the server is a production server, if I detach the HBA then the whole mailbox would be detached, is there any other way to test this ? or I will have to try it on sunday, after I announce it of course.There is no suspicious start up services in msconfig, the server was a clean install of server 2008 using HP Smart Start and exchange 2007 SP1 with all the update.RegardsAdi Nugraha
March 14th, 2009 3:36am

Hi, Based on my research, the problem you encountered may caused by HP. It seems that the installation of the HP MPIO DSM on Windows Server 2008 has not correctly register under the CIMV2 the class for the HP Monitoring tool. As a consequence, you are unable to found the Win32_PerfFormattedDatat_XXX class under the Root\CimV2. This issue should be investigate from HP. For more information, please refer to: Application Error on HPPerfProv.dll http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1237193985433+28353475&threadId=1254131 Best regards, Vincent Hu
March 16th, 2009 1:58pm

I don't have HP MPIO DSM installed on the server, but I'll give it a try and update the Drivers and firmwares on the server. thanks for your help.
March 17th, 2009 8:58am

Bloody_angel,Do you find out with wrong with your server yet? I do have the same problems as your on my windows08 and exchange 07 sp1.If you have any solutions please share.Thank you in advance,MI
March 20th, 2009 3:58pm

Unfortunately NO,I wanted to update the drivers for the HBA but the installed drivers are already the latest version, I'm going to try a firmware update on both the server and theStorage[HP MSA 2012fc] but that wouldrequireme to shutdown other servers that are using the storage as well so I'm waiting until this weekend [long weekend due to public holiday where I am], will update whether it works or not.
March 24th, 2009 8:29am

hi there,as per the behavior , as said earlier by many of us , this behavior is due to 3rd party application / service best way to start troubleshooting is to update the drivers.sainath Windows Driver Development
March 24th, 2009 3:45pm

I uninstalled Symantec Endpoint Protection, and Open Office. In last 3 days I do not see any problems with WMI yet. Hope this will take care my problems.Ming
March 24th, 2009 7:55pm

Hi,I suspect the root cause is Symantec Endpoint Protection.
March 25th, 2009 9:06am

Hello, I have same problem and there is no Symantec or Exchange installed. I have two HP DL380G5 Win2008 with Hyper-V installed in cluster. Only one has the problem with Welcome screen. Both servers have same drivers installed.Please advise.
March 27th, 2009 2:30am

Update on the problem, Now I have another EventID that makes the server hangs, eventID 10010 "The server {73E709EA-5D93-4B2E-BBB0-99B7938DA9E4} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.". and I still haven't been able to update the firmware on the storage, [a SPS server using the Storage is being configured so I can't shut down the storage :( ] I just installed update roll up 7 and within a day my server hangs with the same error, and the 10010 eventID has been occuring since the beginning though is hasn't been as often as eventID 10. but the with eventID 10 it can happen multiple times and the server will still run normally until it eventually hangs again, but eventID 10010 will definitely hang the server.
March 30th, 2009 5:11am

Hi, According to your description, it seems to be system crash issue and we need to analyze the crash dump file to narrow down the root cause of the issue. Unfortunately, it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum. Therefore, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607 Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Best regards,Vincent Hu
March 30th, 2009 11:15am

Hello, I have exactly the same situation on a DL380 G5 with Win2008 64bit and Exchange 2007 SP1 (Rollup6) Mailbox Role. I have no HBA installed, we use iSCSI Connections with Netapp. The Server is not really crashing (we have user that can still mail), and if there's an opened RDP Session, I can still run e.g. a cmd window. I can also access file shares on this server, when I see this problem. But the Server does not receive new E-Mails... I have updated all the drivers from HP to the latest available (ProLiant Support Pack 8.15B, and newer drivers not yet included in the PSP from the HP DL380 Homepage). We have two identical servers, both are facing the same problem from time to time. Any other ideas?
March 30th, 2009 12:10pm

Found this post http://web2.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=29197&#146056 which leads to a hotfix from Ms http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952664 anyone tried this hotfix yet ? I'm still trying to update my server [I tried firmware update yesterday o n a rarely used server and the server won't power up, so I'm still pending on the firmware upgrade]
April 6th, 2009 6:51am

I'm going to have to try this hotfix, this is the second time I have had this issue on my DC, except today it is still serving requests. I'm going to install it tonight if possible.Server is an HP DL360G4.
April 6th, 2009 5:07pm

I've installed this hotfix and the server hasn't broken yet - hopefully this is the fix....
April 9th, 2009 9:40am

Did this resolve your issue? I'm having the same problem on a couple of servers.
April 14th, 2009 5:33am

It seems ok so far, but its only been installed for 4 days or so.
April 14th, 2009 8:53am

11 Days and the problem hasn't reared its head again yet - looking good.....
April 20th, 2009 9:58am

Hi Ritdaw, I am glad to hear that you resolve this problem and thanks for your feedback. Best regards, Vincent Hu
April 20th, 2009 12:19pm

I just had to restart the server again after 2 weeks of operation after I Updated the firmware and Drivers, will try the hotfix next, was just waiting for this to happen to confirm the same symptom with the server [can't access event viewer but I can access the services.msc from another server].
April 21st, 2009 5:22am

Hello,I had the same issue on a HP machine. After applying the above mentioned hotfixes, the systems semms to run stable.However, I noticed a memory leak for WMIPRVSE.EXE, consuming 350 MB and counting, aditionally handles counting up to 1600.I found thishttp://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01719349&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=428936&prodTypeId=15351and after deinstallation of the WBEM providers, the task did not restart anymore and no more memory leak was observed.So just take a good look at your WMI in case you have the Systems Management Homepage with the WBEM providers.
May 29th, 2009 4:03pm

Has the issue repeated its self for you?I am having the same problem. I have a HP ML350 G5, it is running Dynamics, SQL 2008 and Windows 08 Ent. What appears at random times, when you attempt to logon, it will hang at the welcome screen. When it does this, it appears that all other functionality of the server continues. Dynamics works as well as SQL. The only way to logon to the box is to reboot it. I usually do this via a network shutdown utility.I have just applied the patch listed above and I hopefull it will work.Just a little more info for you guys.I notice the one of the instances of the WMIPRVSE.EXE process using allot of memory. Sometimes upwards of 400MB.
June 17th, 2009 12:46am

I didn't have any problems after applying the hotfix. Since the hotfix SP2 has obviously been released (which all of our 2008 server now have installed) and I haven't seen the problem since.
July 22nd, 2009 10:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics