Windows Server 2008 black screen with only the mouse pointer showing
My server runs on Windows Server 2008 and yesterday I turned it off to upgrade to bigger memory capacity. After I turned it back on and right after the windows loading screen, the screen is black with the mouse pointer in the center of the screen I’m able to move and beyond that nothing happened. I started in safe mode with the exact same results. Any suggestions will be helpful for me to solve the problem. Thank you very much.
June 15th, 2010 5:42am

are you able to start taskmanager via ctrl+alt+del? if so, can you see explorer.exe? kill/start it, does that make any difference?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 15th, 2010 11:52am

Hi Alex, It could be caused by the failing RAM, faulty hardwares. Are you able to boot into last know good configuration? Here’re my suggestions: Try to run Startup Repair with Installation CD/DVD 1. Insert the installation disc. 2. Restart the computer from CD/DVD. 3. Set your language preference, and then click Next. 4. Click Repair your computer. 5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the repair process. 7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish. Run a memory diagnostic test. It will help you to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. You can download the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from the link below. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp Contact Manufacturer of the server to check the compatibility of the RAM you bought. Update the BIOS if available. Regards, Karen Ji This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. On July 1st we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.
June 15th, 2010 12:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics