Windows Server 2008 activation
I downloaded and installed Windows Server 2008 (the released version) and it worked well for a while. Now when I log in I am forced to "activate" the installation. When I activate online (which other than bying a copy is my only option) I get an error 0x080072328 (DNS Name doesn't exist) then I am logged out. I am not able to login or even properly shutdown the machine once booted into this OS. Options? Thank you. Kevin
April 30th, 2008 7:47pm

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948472/en-us for full details, but basically you need to issue the command 'slmgr.vbs -rearm' to get another 60 days of evaluation. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2008 10:40pm

Thank you. Two issues. One, I cannot login so I cannot issue this command. Two, I download and installed the relase version I was not evaluating it. It should have been licensed as part of the MSDN subscription. Kevin
April 30th, 2008 10:47pm

Kevin, Typically ISOs that were downloaded from MSDN subscriptions, TechNet subscriptions, Volume License programs or the Partner extranet and used to install Windows Server 2008 will search for a Key Management Services (KMS) Server on your network.This installation media will not ask for a Windows product key when you install Windows Server 2008. The installation screen to enter the product key will not appear. Other packages of Windows Server 2008 (like the OEM version and the Full Packaged Product) ask you to enter a Product Key at installation time (although not required) along with the option to activate the product after installation. After installation when you don't enter your Multiple Activation (Product) Key (called a MAK) or don't install a Key Management Services (KMS) Server on your network your server will not be able to activate and your installation will be treated as not genuine. For more information check out the Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Guidance.
April 30th, 2008 11:12pm

So is it looking like the only way around this impass is to dowload and reinstall?
April 30th, 2008 11:15pm

Hi Kevin, When any grace period is allowed to expire, the computer becomes Unlicensed. An Unlicensed computer runs in Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM), which provides users very limited access to the system in one-hour increments and presents a window containing links to properly license and activate the computer. After you logon with Administrator credential, you will see a windows saying Active later will be enabled in 15 seconds. Wait until the active later is enabled and then you could login the system in RFM mode by clicking "Active later" button. After that, pleasefollow thesteps belowto get another 60 days of evaluation. 1. Click Start, and then click Command Prompt. 2. Type slmgr.vbs -dli, and then press ENTER to check the current status of your evaluation period. 3. To reset the evaluation period, type slmgr.vbs rearm, and then press ENTER. 4. Restart the computer. I hope this helps. Regards, Neo Zhu
May 6th, 2008 1:18pm

I have a situation like Kevin. The rearm worked for me for now, but I assume I can't keep doing this indefinitely. I installed the Standard version without Hyper-V (my testing platform is still 32-bit). My MSDN subscription won't give me a license key for this - it states that no key is required for versions w/o Hyper-V. So the instructions I've seen in other threads about converting from KMS to MAK won't work (I assume) because I have no Product Key to use. How do I solve this? thanks, Mike
May 19th, 2008 9:53pm

Unfortunately I was forced to reinstall. I downloaded and installed a fresh copy since I was not able to log on. Kevin
May 19th, 2008 10:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics