Windows Server 2008 VHD: Where's the 60 days trial that is mentioned?!
Hi folks,I was hoping if anyone -- whether at MS or here -- knows the answer to my question. Background: I went to a link, which is posted below, and downloaded the VHD from that location. The page stated the following, "The VHD releases are available in English only and are for evaluation and testing purposes. Evaluating Windows Server 2008 software does not require product activation or entering a product key. Any edition of Windows Server 2008 may be installed without activation and evaluated for an initial 60 days. "http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspxThe very minute I logged into the VHD (after extracting and starting it up), a window pops up and tells me that I need to activate the software. Yeah, I could wait a couple of seconds and click on the Activate Later button. Opening up the system properties window shows the "You must activate today. Activate windows now" message. I thought I was given 60 days to trial the VHD BEFORE I need to buy a product key if I choose to continue using the VHD. No where did it says 59 days remaining... like some website mention.Also, I read that Windows Server 2008 allows you to "re-arm" the trial (for a total of 240 days trial). I think240 days was with the ISO image.Anyways, if it is such as hassle to try the VHD, would it be better to just download the ISO image and try that out?Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Maybe, I am doing something wrong? Or some setting I have to set for the 60 days trial to show up?Sincerely,Thomas
August 5th, 2009 5:11pm

Hi, Ican reproduced your issue. It seems that the activation mechanism keep working evenin the VHD files. I always create VMs fromthe ISO so I never noticed this issue.Based on your current states, I recommend that you download a ISO and create VMs basedon it. If you install aVM with the ISO, you will have atotal 240 days trial. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 7th, 2009 1:41pm

Hi Vincent, Thank you for your response. I've tried creating the VHD from the ISO and like you said, I saw the "59 days remaining" in the system's properties. But, as a hunch --since some websites mentioned that it was difficult to re-arm the VHD -- I waited Sunday to re-arm theVHD (3 days later) but I was never able to reset the VHD. It still says 56 days remaining. (I've tried the "slmgr.vbs -rearm" at the command prompt and letting it reboot.)Am I doing something wrong? Does it rearm only on a physical machine? Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.Sincerely,Thomas
August 10th, 2009 4:13pm

Hi, Based on my experience, there is no difference between a physical computerand a VM while using slmgr.vbs /rearm command. I have performed this command for several times successfully. Note: You should run this command in an elevated CMD command line.Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2009 5:29am

Thank you Vincent. It works now. I found out what I was doing wrong.Sincerely,Thomas
August 12th, 2009 7:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics