Windows Server 2008 Task Scheduler
When we used to run a custom App (Windows Form app with Automation built in) via Windows Server 2003, when you logged into the account that the task was running under, you would see the Windows app, and any messages that it had to dispaly for you. When we migrated the server to Windows 2008, the Server task runs, but only shows up as a running process, and you do not see the windows form or any of the messages. Everything is running hidden from the user. Is there any way in Windows 2008 to make the application visible when it is kicked off via the Task Scheduler?
July 30th, 2010 10:41pm

I'm not seeing a specific configurable setting for this, but the behavior that I have noticed is that if the user is logged in before the scheduled task fires, then the window will show (I ran the command prompt. This was with the task and the login as myself, both with local admin permissions on the system). Based on what you've described about the application, would it be possible to make a slight modification and have the application log to the event log and set up a subscription somewhere? -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2010 12:34am

Hi , Can you confirm from your development team where your applicaiton requires custom changes to your application ? Task scheduler is just an interface to launch and exe and doesnt dictate the applicaiton behavior.
August 25th, 2010 8:11am

The app is a custom windows application for running production processes, with the ability to run with an Auto run parameter. When the app is run with the parameter via a command line, it starts up and runs automated processes. The window shows the user what processes are currently running, but when the Task Scheduler launches it, the app is not visible. We leave the user account logged in, and it still does not show. You can see that it is running in the task manager, but the app is not visible to the user.
August 26th, 2010 2:56am

CRUecke - Have you found a solution for this at all? I am having the exact same issue. Especially when the task is a web page that performs daily updates, I need to see what the specific progress was or what errors (if any) occurred. Thanks, Jon
December 28th, 2010 10:13am

Task Scheduler only shows the running process if you select "Run only user in logged on" in your task properties.
December 29th, 2010 2:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics