Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 - Getting audio and audio drivers to work; audio device recognition
Hello, I am unable to get my audio to work properly. My machine running the said OS has a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard with onboard Realtek HD audio. I have the following services enabled (set to automatic) and running: * DCOM Server Process Launcher * Plug and Play * Remote Procedure Call (RPC) * Windows Audio * Windows Audio Endpoint BUilder I have the following Features installed: * .NET Framework 3.0 Features -> .NET Framework 3.0 * Desktop Experience * Quality Windows Audio Video Experience * Remote Server Administration Tools -> Feature Administration Tools -> WINS Server Tools * Removable Storage Manager * WINS Server When I run dxdiag from run, I get an error with the title "DxDiag Error" and message "Error: Problem getting extra sound info." The Sound tab is completely blank and the notes has one bullet saying "No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer." I already tried installing the Windows 7 x64 audio drivers, then I tried the Vista x64 audio drivers; getting my drivers from Gigabyte's website from my motherboard's webpage. In device manager, there is a list "Sound, video and game controllers" with one entry "Realtek High Definition Audio." When I right click on it and go to properties, it says that "This device is working properly" and with a Location of "Location 2 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus)." In Control Panel -> Sound, the Playback and Recording tabs both say "No audio devices are installed". In Control Panel -> Realtek HD Audio Manager, it says "You are seeing a blank page because there is no audio devices plugged in the system. To activate GUI, please plug an audio device in the system." In this GUI, there is a pane on the right with dimmed icons of each audio port/socket in the back of my machine (or on the motherboard), and when I plug my headphones into whichever port -- that port will undim in the GUI.
January 18th, 2010 5:35am

Hi there,Thank you for posting in windows server forums.I see a driver compatibiliity issue . The issue might fall into hardware or the driver .Questions=======a) are there any Yellow exclamation mark on device manager ?b) any event id which are of specific interest Suggestions========a) What happens when you re-install the drivers ?b) Fair chance of sound card driver corruption c) if you have any other sound card you can test them to check if the problem is with driver or sound cardd) Contact the vendor to check if there any known issues related to the specific sound card you are using.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 18th, 2010 6:15am

> a) are there any Yellow exclamation mark on device manager ? No. > b) any event id which are of specific interest No, I don't think so. This shows up though: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt storflt > a) What happens when you re-install the drivers ? Nothing. Same as before. > b) Fair chance of sound card driver corruption I have redownloaded the drivers and all behavior is still the same? > c) if you have any other sound card you can test them to check if the problem is with driver or sound card Popped in a sound card that might be dead, but Server 2008 hints or says absolutely nothing about new hardware. > d) Contact the vendor to check if there any known issues related to the specific sound card you are using. I don't believe so.
January 18th, 2010 10:19pm

if you plug new hardware in 2008 server should detect it assuming its plug and play. Also check that you sound card is on the HCL (hardware compatibilty list) for 2008 server. Failing that are you certain the slot you are putting the card into works!!
January 19th, 2010 1:48am

I am pretty sure that the slot works fine, but there is a good chance (as said before) the sound card I tested is dead from a previous, long ago event. I am getting the feeling that Server 2008, apparently for only me, that video and audio support is disabled via hardcoding in the OS. You see, the drivers are installed and Device Manager reports it as A-OK. However Sound Mixer and Sound (in control panel) report no audio device, yet the Realtek Control Panel (though reporting the same error) will display whether or not you have anything plugged into any of the audio ports, and will show specifically which port has something plugged into it. This to me seems like the system is rigged.
January 19th, 2010 3:37am

Hi, Can sound be heard if you use an earphone? Please send me the System Information for research: The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps: a. Click Start, type in "MSINFO32" and press Enter to start System Information. b. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click File, and click Save to save it as an NFO file, such as system.nfo. Please upload it to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=384cec08-b2e3-45f6-8ab9-400010834d44 Password: MBI7hdVT5dRbo Tim Quan - MSFT
January 19th, 2010 7:31am

> Can sound be heard if you use an earphone? Nope. I have uploaded system.nfo (MSINFO32 export). Thank you Tim!
January 20th, 2010 1:08am

Hi, Thank you for sending me the file. However, I cannot open it as it says the file is corrupted. Could you please send it to me again? Before uploading it, please make sure you can open it on your computer. Tim Quan - MSFT
January 20th, 2010 6:24am

Hi, Thank you for sending me the file again. From the System Information, I can see your sound card is working properly. But anyway, please install the latest sound card driver from the following site: http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false Install “Vista, Windows7 Driver(64bits) Driver only (Executable file)”. If the issue persists, please check whether you plug the speaker or the earphone to the correct port and please make sure the sound volume is not set to mute. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
January 22nd, 2010 5:50am

I have uploaded the file again, and tested it before uploading it. I think the error I made previously was that I used the "Export" option in the File menu, which natively exports as a TXT file (and I had renamed it to system.nfo). Then, this time I tried the Save option and saw that it would natively save as an NFO. Heh. My apologies -- and thank you very much for your time Tim! =)
January 22nd, 2010 5:17pm

Hi, Thank you for the reply. Have you tried my suggestions? Tim Quan - MSFT
January 25th, 2010 7:14am

Still in the process of downloading the 52MB drivers. Almost done downloading them. I have satellite, and last night it was not running at its maximum 128 KB/s speed and I had to turn off Savanna for the night.
January 25th, 2010 5:33pm

No, I'm sorry, the drivers did not change anything. Everything is still the same. :( Still no audio if I try (can't even access Mixer if I wanted to change volume either). I might just load up my copy of Windows 7 instead.. Was really hoping Server 2008 could do the job, but I suppose not.
January 25th, 2010 5:59pm

Hi, Thank you for the reply. You can test Windows 7. If the issue persists, I am afraid that this issue is related to your sound card/port or speeker/microphone. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
January 26th, 2010 11:13am

Sound feature seen as Headphones device only (not working) and no Speakers device in WS2008 x64 Good morning Tim, I've just find this thread searching or a solution about running sounds under Windows 2008 SP2 Enterprise x64.On the Traybar there is the Sound icon but it shows only the Headphones - High Definition Audio Device - Volume 66. (Even the Volume Mixer shows only Headphones as available device).Under Control Panel / Sound there is no Speaker icon just Headphones and the status is green-checked 'Working'. Even the Microphone is seen as working.But pressing the Sounds tab and choosing a sound file the Test button gives no sound.The Speakers actually are ok, since the same PC without changing any connection plays sounds perfectly under XP Pro booted as main OS.Even using actual Headphones did not result in any sound, anyway.I tried removing the High Definition Audio Device under Device Manager and reinstall it (automatically) but did not fix the issue. There are no question marks related to this issue.I generated the NFO file if you need it.Any help, please? Thank you!Kind regards,Bgeek------- EDIT: I found the fix installing the Vista_Win7_R247 driver from Realtek web site, as according to a previous post. Now everything is working correctly. Thank you --
April 15th, 2010 5:02pm

Hey hlrse, This is the first time ever I post something but I really felt compeled to. :) I was facing exactly the same issue. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 518. The model of the on-board sound controller is ALC888. The driver we've got to use is this one Tim indicated. I had Windows 7 installed on this very same PC just a few days ago. And the sound used to work just fine. So, it wasn't hardware. It stopped working after I installed Windows Server 2008. So, there is a catch. At least in my case. If you already have the driver installed, the Realtek wizard asks you to let it remove it and then reboot right? I think there is glitch there. In my case, what solved the issue was, remove the drive using Device Manager. Just go there, right click "Realtek High Definition Audio", and Uninstall. Reboot the machine, run the Vista_Win7_R247.exe. Reboot. Wait. And I thinks that's it. It worked for me. Let us know. Best regards!
April 21st, 2010 5:49am

I got the same problem, I downloaded and installed from the above link but still no sound. windows doesn't find a problem with the sound card it says playing but the speakers doesn't give out sound.. I have a Server 2008R2
May 23rd, 2010 7:53pm

I don't believe that this thread should have been closed as the latest realtek driver did not solve the problem for me (or ezi). What I did to solve the problem in WHS Vail was to enable the 'audio service' in the OS. I stubled across this, by right clicking on the tray icon for realtek and then clicking on 'audio devices'. I was prompted to turn the audio service on and that immediately enabled the realtek gui and the sound. Probably only happens to us windows server newbies.
July 25th, 2010 8:08am

Hi charlie bird, Please know I have the same problem with windows server 2008 X64. I can not get sound -did you say you fix this? - I couldn't undersatand what was this "WHS Vail" that you mentioned above. How do you enable the "audio service" in win ser 2008 x64 ?? I also have a realtek sound card - even bought a new sound card just to try! But i can not get this to work. Can you help to explain - step by step - how to do it? I am not a profecional on win ser 2008 yet.
September 19th, 2010 3:46pm

Hello All, I have tested several sound cards on Windows 2008 Standard R2 as well as on Windows 2003 small business server - there is a general error on the server OS and it does not detect audio cards and drivers. Microsoft needs to help us immediately on this issue. The windows 2003 small business server whose audio card was working fine - stopped detecting the audio card after recent updates. All efforts failed. Hope to receive some update on this problem. Thanks Sabya
January 10th, 2011 11:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics