Windows Server 2008 Standard 64bit RAID-1 32bit driver forced & BSOD at boot after dcpromo
Sorry for my bad englisch, but it does not exist a similar forum in german language.This is my story:GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H mainboard with SATA DVDW and 2x SEAGATE ST3750330AS RAID-1 @ 3Gbit SATA-II with NCQ enabled.I want to install my Windows Server 2008 64bit out of my Action Pack on the first 100GB partition of the RAID Volume. The setup starts an mentions that i have to load an driver for the DVDW I am booting the installationmedium from. This is the first thing that sounds curious to me. OK, i try to load the driver for the ATI SB700 RAID Controller on the mainboard. But it is not possible to load the 64bit driver! I am only able to choose the 32bit driver during the installtion. So I tried it this way. I choose the 32bit driver for the DVDW. On the next screen the RAID volumes already are shown in the mask, maybe because of the loaded 32bit driver. OK, from now on everything went fine. I have three partitions: C:\ SYSTEM 100GB, D:\ PROGRAMME 100GB and E:\ DATEN 500GB. I installed all the Drivers on C:\, my programms on D:\ and had ~300GB of my data on E:\.Now i did dcpromo, created the directories E:\Active_Directory\NTDS and E:\Active_Directory\SYSVOL where i placed the files during the installation. After the installation you are forced to do a reboot, everything fine but a checkdsk from C:\ during the reboot followed by another reboot and this BSOD:STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error:Ein an das System angeschlossenes Gert funktioniert nicht.Error Status: 0c0000001.Please shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed Information.Absolut reproduceable, no idea what i can do....I checked the event log, but i do not know which information are important for me an which are not. I also bootet the Directory Restore Mode, but no idea what to do there. I ran ntsdutil, but even no idea what to do with this tool. The DR-Mode runs fine, the AD is disabled there... Is it a driver problem?Am I not allowed do out the AD-Files on another partition?Is there a problem writing/reading in the created AD-Files?Please, give me a hint!
June 14th, 2008 7:48pm

I did a dcpromo /forceremoval now, and the server booted as normally... i will try some things an see whats the reason for this error.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2008 8:58pm

Gary Gilmore said: Am I not allowed do out the AD-Files on another partition? You are absolutely allowed to placethe system volume (SYSVOL), the Active Directory database and the Active Directory Transaction Logs ona different partition/volume. You can place them on the system partition/volume, all on a different partition/volume, each on different volumes/partitions and any combination of the above. Gary Gilmore said: Is there a problem writing/reading in the created AD-Files? It certainly looks that way, allthough you could run the specific error numberthrough err.exe to retrieve the specific error reason.
June 15th, 2008 12:10am

Hello, I am sorry to say that I am not good at German, does the sentence "Ein an das System angeschlossenes Gert funktioniert nicht" mean "A system connected to the device does not work"? The first thing that you should do is, after you log into Windows Server 2008, installing all the 64-bit drivers. Or, contacting the hardware manufacturers to get the latest drivers for Windows Server 2008. Please note that the drivers that are loaded during the installation are specifically for Windows PE, the environment for installing Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, though they will be moved into the driver store in the operating system. Note that there are some requirements that you should pay attention to when you deploy 64-bit editions of Windows Server 2008, such as signed drivers. For more details, please refer to: Installing Windows Server 2008: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/ef8f3711-d1d1-4d4a-8a04-ee7bf61105541033.mspx Please also take a look at the following article and see if the situation is the same: A Domain Controller might fail to start up in Disaster Recovery Mode if the Active Directory Databases and logs are located in the same folder structure but a different drive: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300942.htm If the problem remains after you tried the above methods, we may need to collect and analyze the crash dump file. To trouble shoot this problem efficiently, I suggest that you speak directly with a Microsoft Support Professional so that the crash dump can be analyzed. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web: <http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp> I hope this helps. Best regards,Chang Yin
June 17th, 2008 1:50pm

I am sorry to say that I am not good at German, does the sentence "Ein an das System angeschlossenes Gert funktioniert nicht" mean "A system connected to the device does not work"?Your are absolutely right ;) The first thing that you should do is, after you log into Windows Server 2008, installing all the 64-bit drivers. Or, contacting the hardware manufacturers to get the latest drivers for Windows Server 2008. Please note that the drivers that are loaded during the installation are specifically for Windows PE, the environment for installing Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, though they will be moved into the driver store in the operating system.You may be right with this point, too ;)AsI emntioned above, it is only possible to load the 32bit driver during the installation. After my array is rebuilded I will try loading the 64bit driver in Windows.I will take a look at the err.exe, maybe it helps.Thank you for your support!
June 18th, 2008 8:57pm

Following problem: I can not install an other driver for the RAID, because the WindowsI start is installed on the RAID. Any other ideas?
June 18th, 2008 10:03pm

Gary Gilmore said: STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error: Ein an das System angeschlossenes Gert funktioniert nicht. Error Status: 0c0000001. Please shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed Information. Same Problem here with Server 2008 x64 on GIGABYTE GA-MA78G DS3H (SB700) with 2x WD 320 RE2 @ RAID1. And i didnt change the NTDS or SYSVOL Directory. The x86 Version wont install because: BSD Boot Error or so. Without RAID1 and with a Maxtor HDD in AHCI Mode both Server Versions run with Active Directory an without Problems. Has anyone an idea? THX
August 1st, 2008 1:12am

I have the same problem.See my new post:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/7ff839c3-5fee-4217-af57-97b0106ef3af.
September 20th, 2008 6:22pm

This is a chipset issue. I don't have the board you guys have; I have AsRock a780gxe/128mb, it has the sb700, and it to REFUSES TO LOAD RAID, i even tried a silicon image and it puked it out, trasffered at like 2mb a second lmao. I tried installing every damn way possible 0,1, 10, ready, jbod; backwards, forwards, sides ways; I even tried linux, and unix; i have yet to find an operating system that this damn raid will work on!!!!! And mine would install the x64 or x86 drivers just fine, and install any damn role i wanted too....except the domain controller. Once promo.exe is ran, there is no getting back into windows; unless you rip the freakin DC out by its throat. I am not lieing when i said i did this like 30 times at least, just with windows. As mentioned above, the only way for it to work is in achi mode sometimes, ide all the time, Raid w/DC zero times. Ubuntu 8.10 recognizes the raid and just like windows, this is reproduceable issue, thinking it will restart. Someone fix this :)!! corrosione@gmailhttp://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=A780GXE/128M&s=AM2%2b
March 9th, 2009 10:13pm

for got sakes, i just realiezed that this post is 6 months old, and still no fix, and i just bought my mb!!!!!! SIGH!
March 9th, 2009 10:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics