Windows Server 2008 Small Business Internet explorer & Network center hangs plus lots of services won't start
Hi There, I'm hoping someone can help with this as I have tried everything I can think of with no success. First the symptoms: System: Windows Small Business Server 2008 SP2 When starting the server normally The Network icons shows as disconnected even though IPconfig shows differently. When trying to open internet explorer, it hangs. When trying to diagnose and repair the connection get a message 'Network Diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostic Policy service is not running'. Both the network and sharing center and the network connections folder are empty and stop responding before anything is displayed. However my email server works fine, as do Google Chrome and my network folders are accessible from the other computers. What is strange is that if I boot into 'safe mode with networking' the network icons shows connected and everything seems to work fine. What I have tried: I tried 'sfc /scannow' it found some errors it fixed but didn't help. Chkdsk is repaired pages and pages of errors but didn't help. I tried starting the services that aren't running manually. All I get is a time out, none of the services that should be running can be made to run. The services which are running in safe mode that won't run normally are: CryptSvc IKEEXT Netman netprofm NlaSvc Policy Agent winmgmt silsvc Without exception these all timeout when trying to be started manually and they are not disabled. I have also tried to disable the services that are running normally which aren't running in safe mode, these are: AudioEndpoint Builder AudioSrv Browser EventSystem gpsvc Lanman Server MMCSS SamSS Schedule SENS ShellHWDetection slsvc AxSms I couldn't disable Schedule and slsvc, but with all the others disabled it doesn't help. I also found a similar post saying it was the drivers for the network connections, so I uninstalled the network connections and removed the drivers, this didn't help either. I heard it might be a problem with Exchange 2007 and IPv6, so I made sure that IPv6 was enabled in the network connections, which it was. I also tried to remove exchange but it just hangs. I also tried to removed Symantec Endpoint Protection, but again it just hangs. Disabling all startup items doesn't help either, neither does disabling all non-microsoft services. It seems I have to re-install windows server from scratch but i'd have preferred to avoid this if possible, so I'm hoping someone can help. The reason this all started is the internet went down and someone decided to restart the server, however it was taking a long time so they switched it off and on again at the wall. Since then every time it's booted it hasn't been working properly.
May 24th, 2012 4:16am

I would have ask here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/threads Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2012 4:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics